Less hair raising landings, & crab angle

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

Steve, Great to hear you have cracked landing the mono. Many of us are still
trying to work it out! Your comment about thinking of foot pressure, rather
than movement, is key to keeping it from snaking down the runway for me.
Your remark about crab angle led me to wonder whether you have
calculated that with a 60 knot approach, the crab angle is the same as the
cross wind. i.e. a crab angle of 20 degrees indicates a cross wind of 20
knots, assuming you are in a stable approach, proceeding down runway
centreline. I mention it because if I find myself still crabbing at 20
degrees near to landing I start thinking about looking for an alternative
runway!
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

Hi all,

Quote:
if I find myself still crabbing at 20
degrees near to landing I start thinking about looking for an alternative
runway!

By the way, what are the official cross wind limitations for the
monowheel ? 20 kt cross wind is a respectable value, even for a
conventional airplane.
Since the outriggers may limit bank angle near the ground, isn't there
any difficulty staying on the centerline when decrabbing ?

Thanks,
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

It was gusty, I didn't have my calibrated left right nose indicator on.
For me "about" 20 degrees when concentrating on keeping the ends from
swapping means "more than ten and less than thirty!" So no I had not
calculated a cross wind component. If it were blowing that hard and steady
the tower probably would have noted it. Also note I have a lot of room to
work with, as all the municiple airports out here are WW-II AF training
training bases. Falcon field was set up to train British Pilots in 1941.
Steve Hagar
hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Quote:
Steve, Great to hear you have cracked landing the mono. Many of us are
still

Quote:
trying to work it out! Your comment about thinking of foot pressure,
rather

[quote] than movement, is key to keeping it from snaking down the runway for me.
Your remark about crab angle led me to wonder whether you have
calculated that with a 60 knot approach, the crab angle is the same as the
cross wind. i.e. a crab angle of 20 degrees indicates a cross wind of 20
knots, assuming you are in a stable approach, proceeding down runway
centreline. I mention it because if I find myself still crabbing at 20
degrees near to landing I start thinking about looking for an alternative
runway!
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

Gilles, The XS mono pilot's handbook gives 15 kts as the crosswind limit,
which is why I thought that approaching with a crab angle of 20 degrees
might be bad for your health!
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

william(at)wrmills.plus.c
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

David,
Air Traffic reported gusting to 32 kts across the runway (from the right)
when we landed at Lanzarote, so perhaps the 15 kt limit is a bit
conservative!!!
Regards,
William

Do not archive

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

William You and I have survived somewhat worse than 15 kts but we both were
very close to ending in the brown stuff at Lanzarote! Cheers, David

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

Hi! William
So what was Ivor doing running along the wing like stabilising a yacht !
BTW I've done with Mono landings thanks !!!!!
Regards
Bob H .
Do not archive.....

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Less hair raising landings, & crab angle Reply with quote

William and all,

Mary and I encountered a simillar situation, after leaving Sun-N-Fun.
Winds 26, gusting to 32, 80degrees from the right. A bit of a hairy
situation, but, crabbing in, under power, with a last second kick from
the rudder saved the day. This little tri-gear is a lot tougher than
the book gives credit for...

Jeff - Baby Blue
223 hours

William Mills wrote: