914 OIL PRESSURE

SPurpura(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Any rotax drivers out there ever experience high oil pressures in cruise flght?Today my oil pressure was in the 97-99 psi. range,changing power/prop setting had no effect,engine ran fine & all temps normal.

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Quote:
Any rotax drivers out there ever experience high oil pressures in
cruise flght?Today my oil pressure was in the 97-99 psi.
range,changing power/prop setting had no effect,engine ran fine & all
temps normal.

I'd check the sender (gauge, wiring...). They are subject to much
vibration and radiated heat. We changed ours twice, and are considering
installing it remote.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Gilles
standard practice with Lycosaurus is to install the sender remote for
that reason. Can't see why Rotax don;t specify remote, what do they do
on certified 91x installations?
Graham

Gilles Thesee wrote:

Quote:

<Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>
> Any rotax drivers out there ever experience high oil pressures in
> cruise flght?Today my oil pressure was in the 97-99 psi.
> range,changing power/prop setting had no effect,engine ran fine & all
> temps normal.
I'd check the sender (gauge, wiring...). They are subject to much
vibration and radiated heat. We changed ours twice, and are
considering installing it remote.
Gilles Thesee

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Graham
Quote:

standard practice with Lycosaurus is to install the sender remote for
that reason.

Yes

Quote:
Can't see why Rotax don;t specify remote, what do they do on certified
91x installations?

I must say that the low cost VDO sender seems far more reliable than the
two units we got from UMA. The UMA failed, and we had to resort to a VDO
sender+gauge as a temporary fix.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Hello Gilles

"The UMA failed, and we had to resort to a VDO sender+gauge as a temporary
fix."

What is exact wrong with using the VDO as a permanent fix??

Ron Parigoris

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Have twice experienced this sort of problem. The first time showed pressures
in excess of 6 bar , which is the Flydat alarm level. It turned out that one
wire had come loose at the sender, and fixing it gave normal pressures
again. Two years later I had an episode of pressures creeping up again and
cleaning the terminals on the sender sorted it. Regards, David Joyce G-XSDJ

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

Quote:

"The UMA failed, and we had to resort to a VDO sender+gauge as a temporary
fix."

What is exact wrong with using the VDO as a permanent fix??

The VDO sender is not compatible with our 270°, red and green-arc UMA

gauge http://contrails.free.fr/images/DSCF1622.JPG
Using the VDO sender, we must use the 90° swing, smaller diameter,
black-rim VDO gauge. In our area, those gauges are used on mopeds and
lawn-tractors....Wink
You can see the temporary gauge on the frontispice at
http://contrails.free.fr/instruments_tableau_phif.php
Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

kpaviat(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Hi Sam! This is typical problem when the sender fails. I like the idea about mounting the sender remotely to avoid the high frequency vibrations where the sender is on the engine. The newer senders have the heavy bronze ring to damp this problem but it is usually only a matter of time before failure. Good Luck!
kp [quote][b]

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Listen to this guy, He has a lot of experience, 2 generations of it in fact!
Graham

Kim Prout wrote:

Quote:
Hi Sam! This is typical problem when the sender fails. I like the
idea about mounting the sender remotely to avoid the high frequency
vibrations where the sender is on the engine. The newer senders have
the heavy bronze ring to damp this problem but it is usually only a
matter of time before failure. Good Luck!
kp

*
*

jodel(at)nildram.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't see why Rotax don;t specify remote, what do they do
on certified 91x installations?

I looked at a CofA Tecnam in our hangar today. The sender is mounted direct
to the engine as normal.

Simon

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

... and was also a common problem (symptom = false high oil pressure) on the cert'd Kanata I trained on.

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I talked to Ed from UMA, and they use VDO senders for
most of their oil pressure instruments (except perhaps the electronic),
the part number would include a "V" in it.

Anyway he said they are troublesome if mounted on the motor. He recommends
remote mounting, and using a .015" or .010" restrictor close to the
engine.

He likes .010" but OP will take a while to build upon first start up.

Ron Parigoris

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Ron
that approach sounds sensible to me
Graham

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us wrote:

Quote:

For what it's worth, I talked to Ed from UMA, and they use VDO senders for
most of their oil pressure instruments (except perhaps the electronic),
the part number would include a "V" in it.

Anyway he said they are troublesome if mounted on the motor. He recommends
remote mounting, and using a .015" or .010" restrictor close to the
engine.

He likes .010" but OP will take a while to build upon first start up.

Ron Parigoris

SPurpura(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

I found the Rotax replacement part priced at $220.00 a bit ridiculus for an automotive sensor.NAPA auto parts catalog has a oil pressure sending unit for marine applications,several similar to choose from,(single wire,120psi & 1/8" pipe threads) for $18.00,so I ordered 1.
I'll post how it came out.

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Have a good search round for the right fittings to connect it. It should
be easy but they do tend to put obstacles in your way!
Graham

SPurpura(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
I found the Rotax replacement part priced at $220.00 a bit ridiculus
for an automotive sensor.NAPA auto parts catalog has a oil pressure
sending unit for marine applications,several similar to choose
from,(single wire,120psi & 1/8" pipe threads) for $18.00,so I ordered 1.
I'll post how it came out.

*
*

kpaviat(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Amazing how much that bronze ring costs!!
I got my replacements from a VW supplier at a reasonable cost. Anyway, the next time my sensor fails I’m mounting it remotely...
kp [quote][b]

acrojim(at)cfl.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

I know that some of the early Katana's had a Service Bulletin or AD to move the oil pressure sender from the engine to the firewall, and to hook it up with flexible hose.

The oil pressure sender is just not happy mounted on the engine.

Jim Brown
[quote] ---

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: 914 OIL PRESSURE Reply with quote

Or transfer the 'bronze' ring; it's only glued on!

Duncan Mcf.
[quote] ---