Question for Rotax Drivers...

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

Hi all,

The Rotax wiring diagram shows the Ducati regulator/rectifier with the
"L" lead across a lamp. The connector says "LAMP"... but when exactly
will this lamp illuminate?

Can someone tell me or point out the section(s) in any of the Rotax
manual(s) that describes the function(s) this lamp serves?

Undervoltage? Fault? Overvoltage? ???

Specifically, I'm looking for the "nominal" electrical state of the "L"
lead (e.g. - pulled high, pulled low, open) when:
-- the 12V bus hot and the engine is not running
-- the 12V bus hot and the engine is running

Thanks for your help,

europabill(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

Check out pages 17-1 and 17-2 of the Rotax 912S Installation Manual (Mine is
the 9/1/1998 version). It shows the wiring of the Rotax electrical system.
The lamp is a charge indicator lamp. It's notated as item #11.

Bill
A010 Monowheel Classic

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

Thanks Bill.

"Charge indicator"... so the lamp will be illuminated ("L" looks like a
ground) under normal conditions? Has anyone wired this lamp as shown to
verify that it's on... all the time? (how annoying would that be, eh?!)

If not, is anyone willing to measure the voltage between "L" and ground
the next time their prop is turning?

Thanks,

---------------
Bill Henderson wrote:
[quote]

Check out pages 17-1 and 17-2 of the Rotax 912S Installation Manual (Mine is
the 9/1/1998 version). It shows the wiring of the Rotax electrical system.
The lamp is a charge indicator lamp. It's notated as item #11.

Bill
A010 Monowheel Classic

daseitz(at)cfl.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

The lamp is on when the master and the alt switches are on and the alt is
not charging the battery. It is on until the engine starts and begins
charging then it goes off.
Dean Seitz
N284A

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, Dean!

-----------------------
Dean Seitz wrote:
[quote]

The lamp is on when the master and the alt switches are on and the alt is
not charging the battery. It is on until the engine starts and begins
charging then it goes off.

Dean Seitz
N284A

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

Dean Seitz wrote:

Quote:
The lamp is on when the master and the alt switches are on and the alt is
not charging the battery. It is on until the engine starts and begins
charging then it goes off.

The "lamp" is a "Low volts warning lamp" Smile

Richard

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

Thanks, Richard. That's how my schematic was treating it... before I made
the mistake of reading the manual and seeing the "Charge Indicator" label
for the lamp which caused a mild fit of second guessing.

Still wondering what the underlying circuit looks like, though. With the
batt/alt switch ON and the engine not turning the lamp should light. With
"C" sitting at the batt bus voltage in this case, "L" must be pulled low to
complete the circuit (light the lamp). As the generator starts generating,
I'm not clear whether "L" will gradually float up with the output of the
regulator or if it looks like a discrete open circuit (like relay contacts
opening). ???

Hopefully I'll be able to measure it myself before too long and can report
back.

do not archive
-----------
On 1/25/06, Richard Holder <rholder(at)avnet.co.uk> wrote:
Quote:

Dean Seitz wrote:

> The lamp is on when the master and the alt switches are on and the alt
is
> not charging the battery. It is on until the engine starts and begins
> charging then it goes off.

The "lamp" is a "Low volts warning lamp" Smile

Richard

n3eu(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

D Wysong wrote:

Quote:
Still wondering what the underlying circuit looks like,
though. With the batt/alt switch ON and the engine not
turning the lamp should light. With "C" sitting at the
batt

Quote:
bus voltage in this case, "L" must be pulled low to
complete the circuit (light the lamp).

Yes. The "L" terminal is either open (call it infinite
resistance; system nominally working) or at ground -- lamp
lit, not working. There's a transistor switch in there to
accomplish that, and voltage must be supplied from the
outside. So, voltage measurements at the "L" terminal with
accompanying circuitry will be consistent with only "on or
off."

The volts at which the lamp is on or off is a grain-of-salt
matter. It has to be set low enough (through a dirt-simple
reference diode inside the regulator) so that "off" does not
necessarily mean the battery is being sufficiently charged.
A/k/a as a "tit on a boar hog." Smile

Reg,
Fred F.

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Question for Rotax Drivers... Reply with quote

Understood, Fred. Thanks for the insight!

do not archive