Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroAir Radios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: MicroAir Radios Reply with quote

Joe,
As the former Technical Director of AOPA Australia, I have considerable knowledge of their reliability, and it is good.
MicroAir is also about to release a Mode S version of their transponder.
I should also declare that Phil Ainsworth, President of MicroAir, is a very old friend of mine, but I don't think that taints my view.
My experience of dealing with member's problems suggest that in reliability, they are second only to the small panel mount COMs, and somewhat better than several well known names, due to the relatively modern engineering and electronic design
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

At 01:29 AM 22/02/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
--> Avionics-List message posted by: "D. Joe Smith" <jsmith(at)syntherica.com>

Does anyone have any experience with MicroAir radios? I am thinking about
using them in an open cockpit modified Skybolt. I plan on using PTT
switches for the intercom function, as I am not sure VOX would work in an
open cockpit environment.

Does anybody have any experience with the new Xcom 760 radio that is about
the same size as the MicroAir? These radios seem to be very similar in
design. The Xcom appears to be more powerful and to have a number of
additional features. Its intercom system is voice-activated, however,
which may not work in my open cockpit environment.

MicroAir makes a companion transponder as well. Does anyone have any
experience with this unit?

D. Joe Smith
Chapel Hill, NC

Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
- List Contribution Web Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

CONFIDENTIALITY & PRIVILEGE NOTICE
W.J.R.Hamilton,Glenalmond Group Companies,Fighter Flights Internet Services and Warbirds.Net.<wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.com.au> & <GlenalmondEngineering(at)Gmail.com>
This message is intended for and should only be used by the addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.If you are not the intended recipient any use distribution,disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately to: Australia 61 (0)408 876 526
Dolores capitis non fero. Eos do.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jsmith(at)syntherica.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: MicroAir Radios Reply with quote

Bill,

Thanks for the information. I am especially interested to hear that a Mode-S transponder will be available soon. The only 2-1/4 inch Mode S transponder that I know of is the Becker unit, and it would be good to see some competition in this space.

Anybody Down Under working on a 406MHz ELT for experimental/general aviation?

Joe

D. Joe Smith
Syntherica Corporation
4727 University Drive, Suite 700
Durham, NC 27707
(919) 403-3232

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: MicroAir Radios Reply with quote

Joe,
Becker is certainly top quality, but the price-- Ouch!!
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

At 10:07 PM 4/10/2006, you wrote:
[quote] Bill,

Thanks for the information. I am especially interested to hear that a Mode-S transponder will be available soon. The only 2-1/4 inch Mode S transponder that I know of is the Becker unit, and it would be good to see some competition in this space.

Anybody Down Under working on a 406MHz ELT for experimental/general aviation?

Joe

D. Joe Smith
Syntherica Corporation
4727 University Drive, Suite 700
Durham, NC 27707
(919) 403-3232

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: