Monowheel sight gauge

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

What is your favorite location for Sight Gauge on a Monowheel?

How and where did you route vent?

Ron Parigoris

I have a factory float style gauge, also water drains where I could Tee
off port drain to sight gauge?

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

I decided to route the tube up the seatback, back in the seatback over the tank, and up to the breather tube. The reason is that i will be able to see the fuel level while tanking. The breather tube is connected to the top of the filler and has it's opening behind the flap extension. You will get the idea of the latter from the attached picture, where you see the vent system. This is one of the good ideas of Graham Singleton. I am still thinking of adding a one way valve there opening in the cockpit, to have a second vent in case the primary one gets blocked.

Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org
http://www.europaowners.org/viewtopic.php?p=12828#12828

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

I have routed my sight gauge identically and it works great on the ground,
but
in the air the fuel goes down in the sight gauge by about 3-4 gal. If I
route the
vent into my fuel return line at the top of the tank instead of the fuel
tank breather
tube, I get the same results so the sight guage is pretty worthless while
flying.

Glenn
Quote:
From: "josok" <josok-e(at)ukolo.fi>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Monowheel sight gauge
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:30:46 +0300

Hi Ron,

I decided to route the tube up the seatback, back in the seatback over the
tank, and up to the breather tube. The reason is that i will be able to see
the fuel level while tanking. The breather tube is connected to the top of
the filler and has it's opening behind the flap extension. You will get the
idea of the latter from the attached picture, where you see the vent
system. This is one of the good ideas of Graham Singleton. I am still
thinking of adding a one way valve there opening in the cockpit, to have a
second vent in case the primary one gets blocked.

Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org
http://www.europaowners.org/viewtopic.php?p=12828#12828

william(at)wrmills.plus.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

Jos and Glenn,
I have had the sight tube between the seats of my mono for about 800 hours
of flying now and it is totally reliable as a backup for the fuel computer
if certain measures are taken to keep the horizontal section of tube free
from slugs of fuel.
I keep the sight tube vent separate right up to the filler neck so it is not
influenced by anything else. (Glenn, the fuel return line could bubble
vapour into the gauge and push fuel into the horizontal section, also is the
filler neck vent acting as a pitot and pressurising the tube when flying?
Have you forgotten to drill the little hole facing aft?)
I also have an on / off valve in the sight gauge tube where it tees into the
port side water drain at the tank entry point. This is necessary to stop
fuel from being pushed up the tube into the horizontal section when filling
the tank, because without it the sight tube acts as a another vent to the
tank when being filled. The gauge must of course be calibrated with the
port door sill horizontal so when the tail is on the ground it shows less
fuel than actual. If a slug of fuel gets trapped in the horizontal section
it will distort the gauge fuel level, because the air trapped above the fuel
level is unlikely to be at atmospheric pressure.
Hope that helps.
William

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

I will try William's idea of running the sight gage tube all the way up to
the top of
the filler neck. I really don't see why that would make any difference but
its worth a try!
I have the little holes drilled in back of the vent inlets. I thought
that would fix my
problem but no change. I don't understand Williams thought that the filler
neck
vent might be acting as a pitot tube as I have a flush fitting fuel cap. I
have no vent
directly on the filler tube that I know of. Thanks, William!

Glenn

[quote]From: "William Mills" <william(at)wrmills.plus.com>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 06:41:02 +0100

<william(at)wrmills.plus.com>

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

Glenn,
Quote:
I don't understand Williams thought that the filler neck
vent might be acting as a pitot tube as I have a flush fitting fuel cap.
I was referring to the forward facing vent you have behind the flap drive

(that, presumably, is connected to the filler neck) but if you have drilled
the little holes, then it cannot pressurise the tank with pitot pressure.
Regards,
William

roger(at)middlecave.plus.
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

Glenn,
Some years ago we had a similar problem. In those days the fuel gauge was
tee'd off the line to the engine, and when the fuel level dropped to the
point where the gauge showed nearly empty air got into the line, caused the
engine to fail, me to force land and considerable embarrassment!

Subsequent investigation showed that the flow of fuel past the tee caused a
drop in pressure sufficient to show several gallons less in the gauge than
the true quntity. The error increases with rate of fuel flow, and hence is
only apparent when the engine is producing significant power.

I mentioned this in case you may have your gauge connected to the engine
supply line rather than a static outlet from the tank.

Regards,

Roger

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Monowheel sight gauge Reply with quote

Hey Roger!
Wow, I really appreciate this info. That hadn't occurred to me as a
possibility at
all. I have flown a few times when the fuel in the sight gauge almost
disappeared
so I better get that attended to! I hope your incident caused no damage
other
than having to launder your shorts promptly!

Glenn

[quote]From: "Roger Bull" <roger(at)middlecave.plus.com>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>