Cable Tie Mounting Blocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
Jeff Moreau

Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach VA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

Does anyone on the list have any experience using the stick on mounting blocks for cable ties? I am wondering in particular if the adhesive holds up after time and if there is any need to worry about corrosion when sticking these to metal surfaces? They sure seem convenient but I dont want to use them if they don't hold up or will cause corrosion problems down the road.
Thanks!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Jeff Moreau
RV8A
Virginia Beach, VA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
blackoaks(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

Jeff, I was thinking of using them, but one fellow I know used them on his Lancair ES and said they started to let go after only a year or so.... I din't want to take the chance so used screws with washers, imbedded in the prepreg with micro. As they say "Your mileage may vary!" FWIW

On 9/17/06, Jeff Moreau <jmoreau2(at)cox.net (jmoreau2(at)cox.net)> wrote:[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Jeff Moreau" <jmoreau2(at)cox.net (jmoreau2(at)cox.net)>

--
John McMahon
Lancair Super ES, N9637M [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
brucebell74(at)sbcglobal.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

Are you guys talking about the ones Bob Nuckolls sells that he
recommends attaching with E-6000, or something else?

Dave Morris

<http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

<http://www.matronics.com/contribution>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
oldbob(at)BeechOwners.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

Good Evening All,

Just as a data point. I used several of the common
stick-on type when I did a major upgrade to our
Bonanza's radio package sixteen years ago. They have
all worked just great and I have not noted any that
have failed. They were all attached to aluminum
however. I wonder if fiberglass might not gas a little
and cause them to lose their adhesiveness.

I know one data point doesn't mean much, but my
experience has been good!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL
LL22

--- Dave N6030X <N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com> wrote:

Quote:

<N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com>

At 06:07 PM 9/17/2006, you wrote:
>Jeff, I was thinking of using them, but one
fellow I know used
>them on his Lancair ES and said they started to let
go after only a
>year or so.... I din't want to take the chance so
used screws with
>washers, imbedded in the prepreg with micro. As
they say "Your
>mileage may vary!" FWIW
>

>On 9/17/06, Jeff Moreau
<<mailto:jmoreau2(at)cox.net>jmoreau2(at)cox.net> wrote:

Moreau"
><<mailto:jmoreau2(at)cox.net>jmoreau2(at)cox.net>
>
>Does anyone on the list have any experience using
the stick on
>mounting blocks for cable ties? I am wondering in
particular if the
>adhesive holds up after time and if there is any
need to worry about
>corrosion when sticking these to metal surfaces?
They sure seem
>convenient but I dont want to use them if they
don't hold up or will
>cause corrosion problems down the road.
>--
>John McMahon
>Lancair Super ES, N9637M

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
planepubs(at)ev1.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

I use these in my occupation and as with everything else, prep is the key. make sure the area is clean and dry. Bare aluminum? Clean the immediate area with MEK. Painted? Clean with isopropyl alcohol before applying the patch.

[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: OldBob Siegfried

--- Dave N6030X <N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com (N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com)> wrote:

> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Dave N6030X
> <N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com (N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com)>
>
> Are you guys talking about the ones Bob Nuckolls
> sells that he
> recommends attaching with E-6000, or something else?
>
> Dave Morris
>
> At 06:07 PM 9/17/2006, you wrote:
> >Jeff, I was thinking of using them, but one
> fellow I know used
> >them on his Lancair ES and said they started to let

Quote:
[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
bob(at)bob-white.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

I'll add one more comment to this thread. I used quite a few of the
stick on mounting blocks. The ones I used also have two holes for
mounting. After sticking them down, I drilled out most of them and
secured them with 1/8" pop rivets. I don't expect to experience any
failures. Smile

Bob W.

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:28:26 -0700
"Jeff Moreau" <jmoreau2(at)cox.net> wrote:

Quote:

Does anyone on the list have any experience using the stick on mounting blocks for cable ties? I am wondering in particular if the adhesive holds up after time and if there is any need to worry about corrosion when sticking these to metal surfaces? They sure seem convenient but I dont want to use them if they don't hold up or will cause corrosion problems down the road.
Thanks!

--------
Jeff Moreau
RV8A
Virginia Beach, VA

http://www.bob-white.com
N93BD - Rotary Powered BD-4 (first engine start 1/7/06)
Custom Cables for your rotary installation -
http://www.roblinphoto.com/shop/

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
LRE2(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

I took a different tack, probably overkill, but easy , and I think very reliable. I cut multiple ~1" squares of 2-3 ply glass and screwed the blocks to them from the back. Then I applied the roughened squares to the fiberglass with structural Epoxy. They aren't going anywhere. LRE [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Bob McC

Location: Toronto, ON

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

Jeff;

The long term reliability of these anchors depends, as with most things, on which ones you buy. The type that are secured with epoxy of some sort, are reasonably long term reliable, as are the ones noted by Bob White, if you add the rivets as he suggests. The ones however which are secured with adhesive foam tape are prone to rapid deterioration and bond failure if exposed to elevated temperature or petroleum product contamination or simply excessive age. Even within this foam tape group there are large variations in quality, largely based on brand. So you see, the answer to your question is really, "it depends". There are many products sold which fit the description you provided, and some work much better than others. I have not come across an issue with corrosion with any of these products, but, as mentioned by others, preparation is important, as is the specific adhesive used by the brand you choose to buy. All are not created equal.

Bob McC

[b]---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Bob McC
Falco #908
(just starting)
kayce33(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

Q uestion, if you have these mounts less the tape, would Bob's goop work.
I've used it to glue stuff to a shower wall & it was a bear to remove
Harold, RV9A

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rparigor(at)SUFFOLK.LIB.N
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

Hello Jeff

"Does anyone on the list have any experience using the stick on mounting
blocks for cable ties?"

I would not trust them.

My favorite way to deal with getting cable blocks or similar hose blocks
stuck, is to remove sticky back and very aggressive sand with 60 grit the
mounting face, and where it is getting stuck to, if on a composite I use
80 grit. With aluminium go as course as you dare. I get stuck with 4
minute JB Weld (Epoxy), then try and get at least 2 sides covered with 1
ply BID (BiDirectional cloth, Spruce sells it under Rutan Supplies), I
like using Redux 420, very expensive and a bit hard to find. T-88 would
probably work OK and Spruce sells it. After JB is cured, scuff sand
plastic and what you want to attach to, wet out, and fill transition with
your epoxy and with flox mixed in. Easy way to apply BID is to mark a
piece of Vis-queen the size you want, flip it over, clean off Slip with
alcohol (slip is talc that is on plastic sheeting that prevents it from
sticking together) lay on a piece of BID, and use a old credit card,
playing card, or rubber squeegee to wet out BID and remove excess. Now cut
on line, the lines will become visible once wet out, and apply with the
plastic still on. The plastic will give the BID dimensional stability.
Then once in place push it down, could use a acid brush or china bristle
brush and remove plastic.

I just did 6 fuel line pads tonight.
Sand 6 pads and target area / a few minutes
Mix JB / a few minutes
Butter 6 pads and install / a few minutes
By the time the JB cured I had the Redux mixed and 12 plies of BID wet out
and cut

Ron Parigoris

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
icubob(at)newnorth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

hi all, i think the epoxy is the way to go. jb weld is handy but the epoxy holds much better. as i am building a plane held together by glue. i have , out of curiosity tested t-88 against jb weld for holding metal to wood. hanging increasing weight till failure, the t-88 held about 12 times more wt. than the jb weld. just something to think about to help put things in perspective. bob noffs---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
jpleasants(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Cable Tie Mounting Blocks Reply with quote

FWIW:

I glued four of the cheap cable tie mounting blocks to the bottom of a coffee can after removing the foam backing from the blocks and cleaning both the plastic and the metal on the can.

Four glues were used:

Shoe goo
Marine 5200
Liquid Nails-- for solids, high temperature
two-part epoxy.

The bottom of the can was painted dark to absorb heat (much as an airplane setting on a ramp in the summertime). I placed this can, with lid, on the dashboard of my truck for several days while the truck was parked in the sun.

The epoxy failed after about a week of this. All the others are still very secure.

Not scientific, but I'm happy with the results. YMMV.

Jim Pleasants
pile of aluminum and stuff, hoping to transform it into an RV-7A.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours