Heat exchanger for the XS Europa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Richard
The CAA is mainly interested in avoiding any possibility of being blamed
themselves. That's why they are so reluctant to be positive about so
many things
Graham

Richard Holder wrote:

Quote:
In the Land of the Free you are free to risk whatever you
like as YOU have to sit in it. The CAA would like anyone
who sits in the plane to be guaranteed safety Smile Ha ha !

Richard
G-OWWW
High Cross

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Graham,
Quote:

the duct needs to be properly designed for efficient, low drag cooling
too.

I sure do agree.
You'll find some details on how I designed our radiator duct :

http://contrails.free.fr/tunnel_en.php

No cooling air leaks whatsoever. In flight we can adjust the temps
within 5 °C of the target temperature we choose.
Having an efficient inlet diffuser gives us plenty of high pressure 70°C
air behind the radiators.

Quote:
Several XS builders did redesign the duct with noteworthy results. Bob
Berube might enlighten us if he's still listening?
Graham

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Not entirely true. G-JULZ has a cockpit heater based on the hot air behind
the radiators being ducted, via bulkhead shutoff valves, into the cockpit.
All PFA approved.

regards,

Mike

karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Nigel,
Every builder, I think, is interested in cabin heating if....if. Technicaly it has to be simple. Practicaly easy to execute and without sacrificing other good arrangements. Not to much added weight. Easy in usage and comfort, and last but not least, not to expensif.
Before placing an order I would like to have more information.
Karel Vranken.
# 447 F-PKRL XS mono 912ULS Airmaster 332 passed last control and waiting for "Laisser passer" for first flight in Sedan.
[quote] ---

peter.rees01(at)tiscali.c
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

G-MFHI already has a cabin heat - is this standard in the classic? It consistes of a fibreglass moulding over the stbd rad which ducts air into a section of scat hose which (via a rather tortuous route) feeds into a section of the exhaust - this then feeds out via scat hose and a shut off valve to the P1 footwell.

The heat exchanger muff certainly looks to be part of the original exhaust.

Peter

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Hi! Nigel
Never had a problem with cabin heat with my Jabiru 3300 hot air from oil cooler manifold.
However now I’ve Insurance settlement and changing to a 914 Rotax I guess you’d better register my interest , please,! (Assuming I have any money left over !) Presuming it will be effective for a 914 ? However may I suggest it is a heat collector manifold catching heat from the coolant system or oil cooler system, can’t abide by any thought of Carbon Monoxide poisoning it would be as bad as freezing to death !
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG ( due in the air as soon as an engine is available like quoted 6-9 months !)

Robt.C.Harrison

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:25:02 +0100

Another way is to route fresh cold air from the front of the cowl back to
the firewall/cockpit using the very lightweight corrugated aluminium vent
tube used on automotives. This picks up heat (by exchange process) as it
passes through the hot (c.60C) cowl space. May not work in extremes of
climate?

Duncan McF.

donaldheath(at)sbcglobal.
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

nigel charles wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> Clean Clean DocumentEmail MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} <![endif]-->
The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move forward and design the product they want to find out how much of a market there is for such a device. Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners would buy one. Any one who is interested should email me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the numbers involved.

Regards

Nigel Charles
Quote:
I am interested in heat exchanger you mention.
Don Heath
1015 Eddy Lane
Eau Claire, Wi. 54703 USA
[quote]
Quote:

[b]

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Nigel,
I am very interested
Remi Guerner

The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in producing
a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version [quote][b]

Goto page Previous  1, 2