Heat exchanger for the XS Europa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move forward and design the product they want to find out how much of a market there is for such a device. Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners would buy one. Any one who is interested should email me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the numbers involved.

Regards

Nigel Charles

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

nigel charles wrote:

Quote:
The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown
interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted
to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move
forward and design the product they want to find out
how much of a market there is for such a device.
Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners
would buy one. Any one who is interested should email
me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the
numbers involved.

Hi Nigel

I would certainly be interested. I assume that there is
(or will be) a standard mod to allow heating to be
provided into the cockpit.

See what possibilities have opened up because you went for
the XS FWF option Very Happy

Richard
G-OWWW High Cross

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a heat exchanger for? I am
just in the process of fitting an intercooler that is used by several U.S.
owners in hot climates to keep engine temps down. Is your idea similar, if
so I have one already that was designed for the XS and could be used to
copy if required.
All the Best

Alan Burrows

Quote:

nigel charles wrote:

> The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown
> interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted
> to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move
> forward and design the product they want to find out
> how much of a market there is for such a device.
> Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners
> would buy one. Any one who is interested should email
> me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the
> numbers involved.

Hi Nigel

I would certainly be interested. I assume that there is
(or will be) a standard mod to allow heating to be
provided into the cockpit.

See what possibilities have opened up because you went for
the XS FWF option Very Happy

Richard
G-OWWW High Cross

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

The heat exchanger is for cabin heat.

Nigel

Ivor Phillips

Location: London UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Hi ALAN
I Believe Nigel is talking about a Cabin heat exchanger, To use the hot air
from the exhaust for cockpit warming,

Regards
Ivor
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a heat exchanger for?

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Thanks Ivor

Ah now I see... whats wrong with a good pair of socks that what I want to
know?? Smile

Alan
Quote:

<ivor.phillips(at)ntlworld.com>

Hi ALAN
I Believe Nigel is talking about a Cabin heat exchanger, To use the hot
air
from the exhaust for cockpit warming,

Regards
Ivor
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a heat exchanger for?

galahav(at)YAHOO.COM
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

that's been a problem for me and the rotax. no
manufactured source of cabin heat and windshield
demister. i am very interested in that item. specs
please.
mike baker
--- nigel charles <nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:
The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown
interest in producing
a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version
of the aircraft.
Before they move forward and design the product they
want to find out
how much of a market there is for such a device.
Obviously it is only
worth their while if enough owners would buy one.
Any one who is
interested should email me so I can give the
manufacturer an idea of the
numbers involved.

Regards

Nigel Charles

dg.watts(at)talktalk.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

I know Peter Kember is interested.
[quote] The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move forward and design the product they want to find out how much of a market there is for such a device. Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners would buy one. Any one who is interested should email me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the numbers involved.
[b]

Trevpond(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Do you think he would make one for the 914 engined aircraft?

Trev Pond
G-LINN

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Nigel,

Depending on cost, I'd certainly be interested.

Jeff
Baby Blue

nigel charles wrote:
[quote] <![endif]--> Clean Clean DocumentEmail MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} <![endif]-->
The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move forward and design the product they want to find out how much of a market there is for such a device. Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners would buy one. Any one who is interested should email me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the numbers involved.

Regards

Nigel Charles
Quote:

[b]

danny shepherd

Location: north Wales, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,
As I do most of my flying in winter, due to having a
seasonal business I guess you better put me down for one.

Danny G-c.e.r.i

Nigel charles wrote:

Quote:
The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in
producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version of the
aircraft. Before they move forward and design the product they want to
find out how much of a market there is for such a device. Obviously it
is only worth their while if enough owners would buy one. Any one who
is interested should email me so I can give the manufacturer an idea
of the numbers involved.

Regards

Nigel Charles

*
*

robh(at)hyperion-ef.us
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Perhaps I misunderstand what is being offered, but the word “exhaust” suggests to me that this device would be a heater muff added to the Rotax exhaust plumbing. If so, why add the weight and risk of a carbon monoxide sucking muff when there is already ample warm (hot?) air available aft of the water and oil coolers?
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
What the Europa factory forgot was the necessary ducting to get warmed air into the cockpit. Anyone interested can contact me off list for the details of how I ducted warm air from aft of the two coolers, unheated air from the 914 turbo air inlet, and mixed (or not, as desired) the two prior to being ducted into the cockpit.
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Best regards,
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Rob Housman
A070
Airframe complete
Irvine, CA
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move forward and design the product they want to find out how much of a market there is for such a device. Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners would buy one. Any one who is interested should email me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the numbers involved.

Regards

Nigel Charles [quote]<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]> - The Europa-List Email Forum ---> - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS --->   - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI --->   - List Contribution Web Site -Thank you for your generous support!     -Matt Dralle, List Admin.--> <![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>[b]

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

I am not familiar on how different the 914 exhaust system is from the 912/912S.
If a heat exchanger can be designed to suite both engine variants then there
isn't a problem. However if it needs to be different I suspect that CKT will
work on the 912/912S version first.

Nigel Charles
Quote:
Do you think he would make one for the 914 engined aircraft?

Trev Pond
G-LINN

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Rob and all,
Quote:
why add the weight and risk of a carbon monoxide sucking muff when
there is already ample warm (hot?) air available aft of the water and
oil coolers?

Right on the money.
Quote:

What the Europa factory forgot was the necessary ducting to get warmed
air into the cockpit. Anyone interested can contact me off list for
the details of how I ducted warm air from aft of the two coolers,
unheated air from the 914 turbo air inlet, and mixed (or not, as
desired) the two prior to being ducted into the cockpit.

In our 914 project, I took advantage of the warm air behind the
radiators to warm the cockpit. Simple, litght and efficient, and since
the radiator duct is separate from the engine compartment, zero CO ppm
were found during flight tests.
You need a properly designed radiator duct, though.
FWIW,
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Rob Housman wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps I misunderstand what is being offered, but the
word “exhaust” suggests to me that this device would be
a heater muff added to the Rotax exhaust plumbing. If
so, why add the weight and risk of a carbon monoxide
sucking muff when there is already ample warm (hot?)
air available aft of the water and oil coolers?

Quote:
What the Europa factory forgot was the necessary
ducting to get warmed air into the cockpit. Anyone
interested can contact me off list for the details of
how I ducted warm air from aft of the two coolers,
unheated air from the 914 turbo air inlet, and mixed
(or not, as desired) the two prior to being ducted into
the cockpit.

Here in the UK any cabin air must be sourced from outside
the cowling. Without any chance of under-cowling air
getting in there.

The rationale is that if there is an engine fire then any
under-cowling air pick-up will pick up smoke and flames
and these are undesirable inside the cockpit.

Any heater/demist using an exhaust muff must have the muff
fed from outside the cowling and then led through the
firewall. And then the CAA/PFA will want some type of
integrity test or a solid blanking off plate on the
firewall also.

The "warm air aft of the water & oil coolers" route would
also have a problem if either radiator split and hot oil
or water was streamed up your duct into the cockpit.

A long shot but that's the way the CAA looks at things and
it costs us dear Sad

In the Land of the Free you are free to risk whatever you
like as YOU have to sit in it. The CAA would like anyone
who sits in the plane to be guaranteed safety Smile Ha ha !

Just my two-penny worth.

Richard
G-OWWW
High Cross

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Why off list? My guess is that many are interested. Please post your
solution here?

I was told by a usual reliable source, that the factory tried an exhaust
muffler once. The heat was more then enough, and before Andy was able to
land, his shoes were melted to the pedals. It was really sweaty situation.
This was given as the reason why the heating option, although announced,
was never introduced. So yes, for me it will be the cooling duct if
possible Smile

Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

workshopcam http://www.okhuijsen.org/plane
http:www.europaowners.org/kit600
mono xs, top on, gear in, tail wheel in, wings set, flapdrive in, tail
closed, tailwheel in, tail top in, blue stuff filled, sanded and primed,
fuel system in, doors done, windows in, sanding and filling the fuse and
wings.

europa flugzeug fabrik

Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: North Coast, USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

robh(at)hyperion-ef.us wrote:
If so, why add the weight and risk of a carbon monoxide sucking muff when there is already ample warm (hot?) air available aft of the water and oil coolers?

According to NTSB accident data, such accidents are very rare. One fatality in the last 5 years, meaning one in 150 million hours, and avg age of the fleet is now 30 years. A heater shroud arrangement is a simple inspection item annually, if easy to remove, and exhaust can enter the cabin from other more common leak sources like gaskets and slip joints.

I’d be interested too, provided it’s for the 914. There’s little room around the muffler area, and if around the exhaust pipe, those pipes are kinda small. I curious also if anyone using the air aft of the coolers can report it works when outside temps aloft are down near 0-deg F.

Fred F.

richard_coleman(at)ntlwor
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,

My first posting – haven’t started construction yet as I have a set of MG wings ordered for UK use and I’m awaiting certification – but I would definitely be interested in a heat exchanger (and a cabin heat mod – Europa please note).

regards
Richard C-Coleman

The manufacturer for the Europa exhaust has shown interest in producing a heat exchanger box to be fitted to the XS version of the aircraft. Before they move forward and design the product they want to find out how much of a market there is for such a device. Obviously it is only worth their while if enough owners would buy one. Any one who is interested should email me so I can give the manufacturer an idea of the numbers involved.

Regards

Nigel Charles
Quote:
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
Quote:
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Rob
imho that's the sensible, elegant way to do it. They do it this way on
the MCR Banbis too/ AFAIK it works.
Graham

Rob Housman wrote:

Quote:
What the Europa factory forgot was the necessary ducting to get warmed
air into the cockpit. Anyone interested can contact me off list for
the details of how I ducted warm air from aft of the two coolers,
unheated air from the 914 turbo air inlet, and mixed (or not, as
desired) the two prior to being ducted into the cockpit.

Rob Housman

A070

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa Reply with quote

Gilles
the duct needs to be properly designed for efficient, low drag cooling
too. Several XS builders did redesign the duct with noteworthy results.
Bob Berube might enlighten us if he's still listening?
Graham