T-3A Firefly Aircraft Destroyed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
Rhonda(at)bpaengines.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: T-3A Firefly Aircraft Destroyed Reply with quote

Sorry for the cross postings, but I felt this issue was worthwhile. See below an email sent to several news agencies. In addition, a letter is in the draft stages to Sen. Jim Inhofe, who is a member of the Senate Arms Committee and a GA advocate. I encourage you to do the same.

“Please review the attached stories regarding the Air Force's disposal of 110 T-3A Firefly airplanes that cost the American taxpayers $33,000,000. These airplanes were grounded after three fatal accidents. It was determined that the airplanes had fuel delivery problems.

http://www.txaa.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=1554
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123026857

Generally when aircraft are destroyed, they are disassembled and the good components are then sold through auction or salvage. The Air Force, however, has completely destroyed all components, including new engines and propellers still in the crates from the factory.

My company is an engine overhaul facility which supports the general aviation market. The engines associated with these aircraft are used in a multitude of certified and experimental aircraft with very reliable results and are highly sought after. In fact, we had already begun inquiries with the GSA on how to bid on these components when these stories came across our desk.

What a waste of the taxpayer's money!! I feel confident that even those individuals who don't have a passion for flight would find this type of activity deplorable. I hope you will give this story your consideration.”

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115