Mic plug / PTT wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
Deems Davis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Mic plug / PTT wiring Reply with quote

The example on Bob's web site shows that the PTT switch is wired to the
Ground/common on the Mic plug recepticle (in addition to the
key/terminal) is there any reason why the PTT switch (in my case on a
control stick/grip) can't be wired to a common ground for the control/
grip rather than to the mic plug common?

Deems Davis RV-10 # 406
Panel/wiring
http://deemsrv10.com/
Quote:

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Bill Denton

Location: Chicago, IL USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Mic plug / PTT wiring Reply with quote

A properly installed aircraft mic jack uses an insulating washer (or other
means) to ensure that the jack is NOT connected to a common ground...
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
john(at)morgensen.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Mic plug / PTT wiring Reply with quote

Hope I can contribute here. I encountered an FBO Cessna that was not
grounded properly. The symptoms were PTT produced a side-tone with old
cheap headsets but no side-tone with brand new ANR headsets.

John Morgensen RV-9A QB

Deems Davis wrote:
Quote:

The example on Bob's web site shows that the PTT switch is wired to the
Ground/common on the Mic plug recepticle (in addition to the
key/terminal) is there any reason why the PTT switch (in my case on a
control stick/grip) can't be wired to a common ground for the control/
grip rather than to the mic plug common?

Deems Davis RV-10 # 406
Panel/wiring
http://deemsrv10.com/

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Deems Davis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Mic plug / PTT wiring Reply with quote

I think I understand the need to isolate the mic plug with the
insulating washers. My question which remains is does the PTT switch
need to be wired directly to the common terminal (as depicted on the web
site example) on the mic plug? In my case this will be difficult as I
plan to use a switch on a control stick which already is wired with a
common ground. I'm 'assuming' that I can wire the control grip switch to
the mic plug 'key' terminal, and the common/ground will be through the
common/ground in the control grip wiring. (?)

Deems Davis RV10 # 406
Panel/wiring
http://deemsrv10.com/

John Morgensen wrote:

Quote:

<john(at)morgensen.com>

Deems Davis wrote:

> <deemsdavis(at)cox.net>
>
> The example on Bob's web site shows that the PTT switch is wired to
> the Ground/common on the Mic plug recepticle (in addition to the
> key/terminal) is there any reason why the PTT switch (in my case on a
> control stick/grip) can't be wired to a common ground for the
> control/ grip rather than to the mic plug common?
>
> Deems Davis RV-10 # 406
> Panel/wiring
> http://deemsrv10.com/

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Bill Denton

Location: Chicago, IL USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Mic plug / PTT wiring Reply with quote

What brand of control stick are you using?
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Deems Davis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Mic plug / PTT wiring Reply with quote

CH products

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/aircraft.html

Deems

Bill Denton wrote:

[quote]

What brand of control stick are you using?
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Mic plug / PTT wiring Reply with quote

At 12:12 PM 9/14/2006 -0700, you wrote:

Quote:

The example on Bob's web site shows that the PTT switch is wired to the
Ground/common on the Mic plug recepticle (in addition to the key/terminal)
is there any reason why the PTT switch (in my case on a control
stick/grip) can't be wired to a common ground for the control/ grip rather
than to the mic plug common?

The push-to-talk circuit is not a potential ingress
point for noise to a radio. It's probably a safe bet
to combine PTT ground with other grounds in the stick
grip.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours