AOPA battery article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

At 09:04 AM 9/6/2006 -0700, you wrote:
Quote:
---- "Robert L. Nuckolls wrote:

<nuckollsr(at)cox.net>

> At 12:44 AM 9/6/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >The article is in the AOPA pilot magazine Aug or Sept issue, on aircraft
> >batteries.
> >Bobs name is mentioned right in the introduction of the article and later
> >near the end with a reference to the connection. I have a rotax 912
with a
> >20Amp generater, was setting up
> >for an RG battery from B&C, but took out the vented battery box I got
with
> >my kit and dusted it off wondering if this article is correct.
>
> I don't subscribe to AOPA Pilot any more so I missed
> the article. It would be interesting/useful to review
> it. If someone could scan it and email it to me, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Bob . . .

Listers,
The relevent article is on page 133 of the September issue
Charlie Kuss

Dave sent me a copy. It's an innocuous piece and relatively
accurate. If I were to expand beyond where it stopped short
would be to explain the value in KNOWING what your endurance
loads are and KNOWING if your battery is likely to support
this load for whatever endurance YOU decide.

There was one rather glaring error on the top of page
138 where it's stated that a 1C rated battery is discharged
at 2C, it will deliver energy for 1/2 hour. Twice the
load is ALWAYS less than half the previous capacity. By
the same token, 0.1C load is always more than 10X the
1C label capacity.

Exemplar capacity vs. discharge rates are illustrated
in . . .

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Curves/37AH_Capacity_vs_Load.gif

and

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Curves/17AH_Capcity_vs_Load.gif

These graphs from manufacturer's data show that increasing
loads increases internal losses and that apparent
capacity drops as load increases.

Our perpetual parents on the TC side have decided that
"30 minutes" is the magic number for endurance and
"85% of label capacity" is end of life for the battery.
This makes the certification effort easy and makes FBOs
task of selling batteries easier. This is an excellent example of
standardization that benefits the manufacturers and
regulators while limiting the owner's ability to tailor
realistic targets to match his/her own mission requirements.

Neither one of the 30-minute/85% assertions suggest that
the owner/operator of an airplane might possess tools and
be willing to acquire skills needed increase personal endurance
target to say 1 hour. Or, take the time to monitor a battery
with an eye toward meeting the endurance level such that
70% of label capacity is the TRUE end of life for the battery
in that particular airplane.

Aren't you guys glad you don't have to salute those
flags? I still like "duration of fuel aboard" for
endurance and "pitch it when e-bus loads cannot be
supported for duration of fuel aboard." Of course,
on the OBAM side of the house we're free to select
and operate to our personal design goals.
Bob . . .
< What is so wonderful about scientific truth...is that >
< the authority which determines whether there can be >
< debate or not does not reside in some fraternity of >
< scientists; nor is it divine. The authority rests >
< with experiment. >
< --Lawrence M. Krauss >

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
cleone(at)rr1.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

Bob, What does OBAM mean?

At 09:29 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:
Quote:

<nuckollsr(at)cox.net>

> [...]

be willing to acquire skills needed increase personal endurance
target to say 1 hour. Or, take the time to monitor a battery
with an eye toward meeting the endurance level such that
70% of label capacity is the TRUE end of life for the battery
in that particular airplane.

Aren't you guys glad you don't have to salute those
flags? I still like "duration of fuel aboard" for
endurance and "pitch it when e-bus loads cannot be
supported for duration of fuel aboard." Of course,
on the OBAM side of the house we're free to select
and operate to our personal design goals.
Bob . . .
< What is so wonderful about scientific truth...is that >
< the authority which determines whether there can be >
< debate or not does not reside in some fraternity of >
< scientists; nor is it divine. The authority rests >

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

At 10:31 AM 9/7/2006 -0500, you wrote:

Quote:

Bob, What does OBAM mean?

"Owner Built and Maintained" as opposed to "Amateur Built" or "Experimental"

See archives at:

http://www.matronics.com/searching/search.html

Search the AeroElectric List for the phrase
"ABEA"

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

OBAM stands for Owner Built and Maintained, which the designation that Bob
prefers to call Experimental / Amateur Built aircraft.

Carlos
---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

Bob,
Would you care to comment with regard to the article's assertion that
generators under 50 amps are adversely affected by the high capacity
RG35 batteries, in particular, as opposed to small alternators? Or
have you heard from the gentleman at Concorde?
I know alternators are a little more self limiting, but it seems like
the larger charging demand from the low resistance of that battery
would have adverse effects on both generators and alternators.

Quoting "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckollsr(at)cox.net>:

Quote:

<nuckollsr(at)cox.net>

At 10:31 AM 9/7/2006 -0500, you wrote:

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
brian-av(at)lloyd.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 19:29, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:
These graphs from manufacturer's data show that increasing
loads increases internal losses and that apparent
capacity drops as load increases.

Bob:

I am going to pick a nit here. At least twice I have seen you mention
losses in a battery in relationship to the change in battery capacity
with change in discharge rate. The interesting thing is, this
relationship occurs even when losses are not at issue, i.e. in batteries
intended for high-reliability stationary applications where they can
afford to construct massive plate structures where I*R losses are
virtually nonexistent. The relationship is still an exponential one and
was discovered by a gentleman named Peukert, hence it is named Peukert's
law.

The real reason has to do with the rate at which the electrolyte
diffuses into the active area of the plate and how the active portion of
the plate changes with time at different rates of discharge.

Good information about this can be found at
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_Law". The first external link is
to a PDF file with a good discussion (with pictures!) of the actual
chemical behavior of the plate of a battery and why Peukert's exponent
applies.

Yes, this is a small thing and probably not worth worrying about when
building aircraft electrical systems since you will always be
discharging the battery on you e-bus at the same rate every time. But
pedantic people (like me) care about such little things. Smile

Brian Lloyd

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
ainut(at)hiwaay.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

Owner Built and Maintained. Invented while searching for a politically
correct term for homebuilt.

David M.
Cleone Markwell wrote:

Quote:

Bob, What does OBAM mean?

At 09:29 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:

> <nuckollsr(at)cox.net>
>
> At 09:04 AM 9/6/2006 -0700, you wrote:

<<<snip>>>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
mprather(at)spro.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

Picking nits here... Maybe it's just me, but I think "politically
correct" has taken on a rather negative connotation.

I believe "OBAM," in some ways, more accurately reflects our aircraft.
Very often (usually), the airplanes we build and operate are direct copies
of other aircraft. They are built for entertainment and transportation.
Little aerodynamic study or scientific endeavor is accomplished (and
that's okay). Experimentation is minimal.

"OBAM," as you say, also may put a better spin on things with the
uninformed public than do other terms that describe what we are doing...
Regards,

Matt-

Cleone Markwell wrote:

> <cleone(at)rr1.net>
>
> Bob, What does OBAM mean?
>
> At 09:29 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:
>

>> <nuckollsr(at)cox.net>
>>
>> At 09:04 AM 9/6/2006 -0700, you wrote:

<<<snip>>>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

At 09:42 AM 9/7/2006 -0700, you wrote:

Quote:

Bob,
Would you care to comment with regard to the article's assertion that
generators under 50 amps are adversely affected by the high capacity
RG35 batteries, in particular, as opposed to small alternators? Or
have you heard from the gentleman at Concorde?
I know alternators are a little more self limiting, but it seems like
the larger charging demand from the low resistance of that battery
would have adverse effects on both generators and alternators.

Working on that. Received a clarification from Skip and guess what?
Root cause for the recommendation has nothing to do with "overloading
a generator." I'm editing the thing right now. Might have it done
tomorrow.

Bob . . .

< What is so wonderful about scientific truth...is that >
< the authority which determines whether there can be >
< debate or not does not reside in some fraternity of >
< scientists; nor is it divine. The authority rests >
< with experiment. >
< --Lawrence M. Krauss >

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
cleone(at)rr1.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

At 11:24 AM 9/7/2006, you wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Carlos Trigo" <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt>

OBAM stands for Owner Built and Maintained, which the designation that Bob prefers to call Experimental / Amateur Built aircraft.

Carlos Thanks Carlos, now I know. Cleone

---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
cleone(at)rr1.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: AOPA battery article Reply with quote

At 01:10 PM 9/7/2006, you wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "David M." <ainut(at)hiwaay.net>

Owner Built and Maintained. Invented while searching for a politically correct term for homebuilt.

David M. Thanks David. Cleone

Cleone Markwell wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Cleone Markwell <cleone(at)rr1.net>

Bob, What does OBAM mean?

At 09:29 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckollsr(at)cox.net>

At 09:04 AM 9/6/2006 -0700, you wrote:
<<<snip>>>

AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
- NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
http://forums.matronics.com
- NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
http://wiki.matronics.com
- List Contribution Web Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours