MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

I can't speak for the Mark III, but I have had both flaperons and
flaps on my current Firestar and have found the flaps to be much
prefered over the flaperons. The flaperons do not provide near as
much slow flight roll control and stability as the flaps do.

On Jan 19, 2006, at 10:53 PM, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:

What do you guys like better on the MK-III , the classic wing where
the flaps and ailerons are seperated, or the newer setup with
flaperons ????

--------
NO FEAR - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could
have !!!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Denny Rowe

Location: Leechburg, PA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

I like my flaps.
Denny Rowe
do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
slyck(at)frontiernet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Quote:
> 41 hours and I haven't tried them yet. -still getting used to how
> slow it
flies without flaps. I'll let you know what thrills I get this coming

summer.

I like the looks of the flaperon wings, cleaner and perhaps faster.
-BB MkIIIc, clipped wings, inboard fences
do not archive
Quote:

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Morning Gang:

Flaps on the MKIII are far more effective than flaperons on the Xtra,
SS, and FF.

I consider my flaps an invaluable tool. Greatly increased the
chances of me getting into a very small area should the engine stop.
Also a good tool to pop up out of soft fields, mud, tall grass, sand,
etc.

john h

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
David.Lehman

Location: "Lovely" Fresno CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Is it possible to retro flaps to older Firestars?...

DVD

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
ô¿ô

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."

--- George Bernard Shaw
JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Glad to hear that, I am putting classic flaps on my MK-III Mr. Green

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
n79rt(at)kilocharlie.us
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Is it possible to retro flaps to older Firestars?...

DVD
<snip>
Don't know about retro...matter of fact I've never heard of ANY Firestar
with separate flaps and ailerons...

Building the surfaces separate would be a no brainer...modifying the
cage to add a flap actuation mechanism would require some thinking...NOT
impossible just some thinking.

Paul Petty...any pictures of how your adding separate flaps and ailerons
on your Kolbra???

Jeremy
Mutant Kolb builder Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

n79rt(at)kilocharlie.us wrote:
Don't know about retro...matter of fact I've never heard of ANY Firestar with separate flaps and ailerons...

Building the surfaces separate would be a no brainer...modifying the
cage to add a flap actuation mechanism would require some thinking...NOT
impossible just some thinking.

Paul Petty...any pictures of how your adding separate flaps and ailerons
on your Kolbra???

Jeremy
Mutant Kolb builder Wink

Hmmm... Maybe it would be "reinventing the wheel", would an early Firestar benefit from flaps?...

DVD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

| Hmmm... Maybe it would be "reinventing the wheel", would an early
Firestar benefit from flaps?...

| DVD

DVD:

Sure.

However, the original FS was such a good flying airplane, slipped
well, and landed slow.

If I built another one without flaps, I would probably cut the aileron
cord in half. Remembering the FS and US normally stalled at 25 mph,
Homer designed large ailerons to have roll control through the stall,
which they did well.

I did make one change to my ailerons and flaps when I built my MKIII
in 1991. I had been flying the factory MKIII, learning a lot of
little things that I would change on my airplane. One of those was
ailerons. Had more than enough to get the job done. When I laid out
the ailerons and flaps on the bench to build, I first laid out the
stock configuration. Then I took a chalk line, shortened the outboard
aileron chord to a little over 11", striking a line from there to the
stock inboard trailing edge corner of the flap. My think was to
reduce aileron as much as possible and maintaining as much flap as
possible, keeping a nice staight trailing edge. It worked out great.

john h
MKIII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:
| Hmmm... Maybe it would be "reinventing the wheel", would an early
Firestar benefit from flaps?...

| DVD

DVD: Sure. However, the original FS was such a good flying airplane, slipped well, and landed slow. john h MKIII

Thanx John...

I realize that every plane's characteristics are different... I landed my Cessna 185 a couple of times without flaps, just to see how it acted, and it wasn't pretty... On the other side of the coin, I didn't have flaps on my Aeronca Sedan and I could slip it in as short as my Super Cub... It's part airplane characteristics and a lot of pilot technique...

DVD

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
ô¿ô

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."

--- George Bernard Shaw
John Jung

Location: Surprise, AZ, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Eugene Zimmerman wrote:
I can't speak for the Mark III, but I have had both flaperons and
flaps on my current Firestar and have found the flaps to be much
prefered over the flaperons.

Eugene,

Could you tell us about how you installed flaps on a Firestar? I don't recall hearing about it before.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Jung
Firestar II N6163J
Surprise, AZ
kiwimick

Location: ENGLAND

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Flapperons for me.

Mike

do not archive

---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Mike the kiwi Kolber in England.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

| Flapperons for me.
|
| Mike

Kiwi Mike:

Why is that? I find the MKIII flaps far more effective than flaperons
on Xtra, SS and FF.

john h
MKIIIc

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

John,

The first Firestar I did was an original with full span ailerons.
I split the Flaps in half with the in board half being the flaps with
the torque hinged on the torque tube of the ailerons similar to the
Mark III.
The control links were horizontal like the original aileron control
rods and went to a flap lever quadrant. It was a very simple and
straightforward installation.
This plane had unrivaled slow flight capability.
I could fly side by side with a Para plane in a nose high, power on,
stall mush, somewhere in the neighborhood of 18- 20 mph.

The second one was a Firstar II.
I first built it with flaperons and flew it that way for one season.
I was never happy with the flaperon performance so I changed it to a
flap aileron setup.
Since the control rods are vertical on the Firestar II and because
the cage is different it was not as easy to get a simple satisfactory
control system so I decided to use an electric servo and switch to
control the flaps since I already had a battery for the electric start.

From my experience with flaperons and also conventional flaps on the
same plane, I have decided I will never be interested in having
flaperons again.

do not archive

On Jan 20, 2006, at 2:01 PM, John Jung wrote:

Quote:

Eugene Zimmerman wrote:
> I can't speak for the Mark III, but I have had both flaperons and
> flaps on my current Firestar and have found the flaps to be much
> prefered over the flaperons.

Eugene,

Could you tell us about how you installed flaps on a Firestar? I
don't recall hearing about it before.

--------
John Jung
Firestar II N6163J
Surprise, AZ

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Thats really great to hear everyone likes the classic flaps better. I think it was John Hauck that saved me from making a mistake last year when I ordered my MK-III. I would have gone with the flaperons had it not been for your advice Shocked

I will end up with a much better airplane as a result of this list and a lot of good advice from John Hauck also Very Happy

Michael A. Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Paul Petty

Location: Mississippi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Michael,
We have put flaps on a Kolbra from the Mark III classic plans. We had to go with an electric flap motor from a RV8 to make it work though. How far along are you with your kit? Can you post some photos?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Paul Petty
Kolbra #12
Ms Dixie
912 UL 70" warp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

I ordered the kit with the classic flaps. So whatever setup the standard MK III C had is what I have got, nothing is changed from the factory setup.

Sorry, I dont have any pictures to post. Photography is one of my hobbies, and one day I will fill up this server with lots of pictures Smile But nothing yet...

Michael A. Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
rswiderski(at)earthlink.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Several reports say their experience makes them lean toward the
flaps. This is a reasonable conclusion if comparing Kolb flaps to Kolb
flaperons, however it may not be the definitive answer. The reason Kolb
flaperons are not so impressive is that they are in my opinion designed too
conservatively, ie, they do not deflect enough to produce maximum drag/lift
disruption for the obvious reason that an unskilled pilot could get in
trouble if used improperly. The only real disadvantage of flaperons is that
they inherently produce adverse yaw so roll response will always suffer.
Conversely, the flaps biggest advantage is that they do their thing without
adverse yaw.
So why ever resort to flaperons? I suggest Kolb did so for economy
& simplicity. But if you are out for getting the ultimate performance in
climb, accelerated descent & slow flight, then flaperons will beat out flaps
every time because unlike flaps, they can change the coefficient of lift
over the entire wing, therefore have the greatest effect as well. The
caveat to this is that they must be able to be deployed beyond the 20 degree
angle that Kolb conservatively uses. Furthermore, to get really stunning
performance, you would need a much deeper chord of the full length ailerons
that is found in the FireFly & SlingShot, but then high speed flight control
becomes a manly exercise. The Helio Courier, attacks this problem with huge
barndoor flaps and flaperons on the outer third of the wings. If the
flaperons can be sequentially extended, then you can eliminate the adverse
yaw problem as well, by deploying them on final.
When I converted my old UltraStar to flaperons it was a dramatic
change to my flight envelope. Climb rate, rate of descent, and slow flight
characteristics were all significantly improved. It had huge barndoor huge
ailerons from the fuselage tube to the wingtips. They were deployable to 45
degrees & reflexable upwards to 6 degrees. You had to stand on the rudder
if turns were attempted at full deflection & if a take off was stupidly
attempted in this configuration, the 1200fpm climb was reduced to 350fpm!
Descent, with about 3000rpm, was almost vertical- a very controlled mush.
About 5 degrees deflection made slow flight effortless (I wonder what I
would have had with VG's?!!!) And lightly loaded, 60mph cruise would get a
few more mph with a few degrees positive reflex. But, six degrees positive
reflex increased stall about 5mph (if I remember right) and not effect roll
response at all. I often used that configuration when I got caught in gusty
conditions & had problems with being tossed around near the ground. High
speed stick pressure was horrible, but I was young. If I ever had the
chance to fly against an UltraStar converted to flaps, my flaperon
configuration would excel in climb, rate of descent & slow flight. Adverse
yaw was only a problem with deployment beyond 20 degrees, & that was only
needed on final so it never was a serious issue.
So, what would I order with a new kit? I would order the flaps and
flaperon linkage & modify ailerons to be able to sequentially deploy them at
my discretion.

Richard Swiderski
SlingShot
--

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

rswiderski(at)earthlink.n wrote:
But if you are out for getting the ultimate performance in
climb, accelerated descent & slow flight, then flaperons will beat out flaps
every time because unlike flaps, they can change the coefficient of lift
over the entire wing, therefore have the greatest effect as well.

You are very correct rswiderski, I design and build large Radio control planes, and every last one of them has full span Flapperons. There is no denying the performance of them is awesome. Changing the shape of the entire wing is more effective than changing the shape of just the inboard part. The big unknown for me on the Kolb was, are the spoilerons the same chord as the flaps and ailerons ?? and how much control authority is built into them ?? I know what the ideal is, but the real world results of each one is what really counts in the end. That is why I ignored what the ideal situation is and I asked people what their real world results are.

The cord and travel of the flapperons could be redesigned, and made with the same chord and authority as the ailerons, but that is quite a huge job and there are always unknowns in doing something like that. I just was not willing to take that much of a risk and make that big of a design change. The control forces could have become very large, and even flutter might have been an issue. The Kolb MK-III flys very well, and im not willing to risk these things, and the realiability of the existing and tested design just to have larger spoilerons. Also an issue is that with two controls going to the same control surface, the chance of jamming or failure is increased. And you do not want to lose the ailerons in a Kolb.

Given all the extra work in fabricating, the inability to change it back once it was done, and all the other possible risks, I was not willing to be the test case here. It was either the stock Flapperons, or the Stock Flaps and Ailerons. Given the choice between those two, the overwhelming consensus is that the classic flaps are better.

Michael A. Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
rswiderski(at)earthlink.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: MK-III ---- Classic flaps or Flaperons ??? Reply with quote

Michael,
I don't understand where spoilerons come in the picture. The Kolb
flaperons have no extra parts to jam. Not modifying the factory setup is
always the safest way to go & certainly the quickest. You will have a great
flying machine for sure. -Richard Swiderski

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next