Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lead problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WRBYARS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Lead problem Reply with quote

Greetings to all,
HELP---------I have a Lycoming 029-D in my Luscombe and think I may be experiencing a lead fouling problem.
The engine has 99.6 hrs. since major with all the valve improvements, etc. to bring it up for use of "modern fuels" i.e., 100 LL, however I'm getting some leakage around some of the valves and the engine appears sluggish, we are thinking that it may be lead build-up from the 100 LL causing this ( it isn't ran on auto fuel at all ). I keep the plugs cleaned and set and It runs a little rich with the mixture full in so I lean it some in flight to try to help this, most of the time I run at around 2300-2400 RPM.
I would appreciate input from anyone as to the remedy for this situation in the future. Also is there some additive that I can run thru the engine to "burn" the lead out as I'd prefer not to pull the cylinders if possible. I've heard of "ALCOR TCP", however have never used it or talked to anyone that has.
Thanks
Bill
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
bonanza(at)vodamail.co.za

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Lead problem Reply with quote

TCP definitely works. As for the valve leakage, unlikely to be lead, more likely distortion from heat. Sure its not ring blowby… I’m thinking new engine, not run in properly? With this low engine time you should not have to clean the plugs often. With the bigger engines running Lean of peak most of the time, plugs can go several hundred hours without cleaning. Sounds like you are running to rich. Try leaning aggressively for all ground ops, to the extent that when you push the throttle forward, the engine stumbles. That way you won’t get a buildup of lead, and the mixture will be to lean for you to take off. Just when u start the take off roll, push the mixture in to the appropriate position. At high power settings, a little to rich can only help with cooling. In cruise lean out slowly until the engine stumbles, then enrichen for smooth running. Are u running straight oil? What is the oil consumption…has it stabilized?

Good luck
Regards
Bob Verwey
A35 Bonanza ZU-DLW
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: