Pitot lines - paper of plastic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

I am about to run the line to my heated pitot tube (Falcon tube) and want to know if you guys recommend using aluminum or plastic lines to the wing root. What are the pros and cons of each? I think I will probably run plastic from the root to the panel. Also what connectors do I want to be using for both the aluminum tube and plastic tube and what plastic tube should I order?

John Testement
jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com (jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com)
40321
Working on QB fuse

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
dmasys(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

I put the Gretz heated pitot in my -7, the instructions for which say you at least need to have 6-8 inches of aluminum tubing close to the pitot, to reduce the risk of plastic tubing melting from the heat. I thought it would be much more 'aviation quality' to run aluminum tubing all the way to the wing root, and put a flared fitting there for both pitot and static lines. Turns out all of that has been a constant nuisance and too complex for maintain easily. Now I think the way to go is to just thread a continous run of plastic tubing for the pitot all the way from behind the instrument panel out to a single union that joins it to a little stub of aluminum tubing attached to the pitot. Forget about fittings at the wing root. Any more than a minimal number of joints in the line is just a leakage problem waiting to haunt you at transponder certification time.

Just my $0.02. But on the list of "Things I'll do differently on my second kitplane."

-Dan Masys

Quote:

From: "John Testement" <jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com>
Date: 2006/01/18 Wed PM 02:11:54 EST
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic?

I am about to run the line to my heated pitot tube (Falcon tube) and want to
know if you guys recommend using aluminum or plastic lines to the wing root.
What are the pros and cons of each? I think I will probably run plastic from
the root to the panel. Also what connectors do I want to be using for both
the aluminum tube and plastic tube and what plastic tube should I order?

John Testement
jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com
40321
Working on QB fuse

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
lwalters2(at)cfl.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

IMHO, you should take a look at how long you plan on keeping the bird in question.  ALL plastic will deteriorate over time, faster in hot or drier climates.  See how easy it is to replace and make your decision.  Plastic has the ability to be routed easily, the aluminum doesn't (relatively) ..... however, the aluminum will be there looong after the plastic is gone!!!
Linn

do not archive
John Testement wrote:
Quote:
I am about to run the line to my heated pitot tube (Falcon tube) and want to know if you guys recommend using aluminum or plastic lines to the wing root. What are the pros and cons of each? I think I will probably run plastic from the root to the panel. Also what connectors do I want to be using for both the aluminum tube and plastic tube and what plastic tube should I order?

John Testement
jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com (jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com)
40321
Working on QB fuse

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
schmoboy(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

If running aluminum all the way to the wing root, what type of fitting
is used to transition from aluminum to plastic?

Gonna have to do this soon also.

-Sean #40303

John Testement wrote:
> I am about to run the line to my heated pitot tube (Falcon tube) and
> want to know if you guys recommend using aluminum or plastic lines to
> the wing root. What are the pros and cons of each? I think I will
> probably run plastic from the root to the panel. Also what connectors
> do I want to be using for both the aluminum tube and plastic tube and
> what plastic tube should I order?
>

> John Testement
> jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com <mailto:jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com>
> 40321
> Working on QB fuse

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

My Mooney has the original poly lines that carry vacuum for the Brittain
wing leveler. No signs of deterioration in a 40 year old, 6000 hour
airframe. Whatever variety they chose is very flexible and durable. They
used red and green, matching the nav lights for the wing servo the line
goes to.
Do Not Archive

linn walters said:
Quote:
IMHO, you should take a look at how long you plan on keeping the bird in
question. ALL plastic will deteriorate over time, faster in hot or
drier climates. See how easy it is to replace and make your decision.
Plastic has the ability to be routed easily, the aluminum doesn't
(relatively) ..... however, the aluminum will be there looong after the
plastic is gone!!!
Linn

do not archive

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
lwalters2(at)cfl.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

I'd use a bulkhead fitting or a union. You can get reducer unions that
will step down to an aluminum size that you can slip the plastic tubing
over. Peruse the fitting pages in the Aircraft Spruce catalog. One
poster said to run one plastic line all the way from the pitot tube
(with suitable aluminum extension Wink ) all the way to the instrument
panel. That would be OK as long as you left a 'service loop' in the
wing root so you can splice the plastic tubing back together after wing
removal. I get my plastic tubing and fittings in the aircraft section
of Ace .... they have the best selection of fittings locally ...... and
less expensive too. With plastic there's an 'extra' joint at the pitot
tube ...... but whether you go with plastic or aluminum, the joints
should still be air-tight if the aluminum tubing is flared correctly
.... which means using an aircraft flaring tool, not one from the
plumbing supply place!!!
Linn

linn walters wrote:

> IMHO, you should take a look at how long you plan on keeping the bird
> in question. ALL plastic will deteriorate over time, faster in hot
> or drier climates. See how easy it is to replace and make your
> decision. Plastic has the ability to be routed easily, the aluminum
> doesn't (relatively) ..... however, the aluminum will be there looong
> after the plastic is gone!!!
> Linn
>
> do not archive
> John Testement wrote:
>
>> I am about to run the line to my heated pitot tube (Falcon tube) and
>> want to know if you guys recommend using aluminum or plastic lines
>> to the wing root. What are the pros and cons of each? I think I will
>> probably run plastic from the root to the panel. Also what
>> connectors do I want to be using for both the aluminum tube and
>> plastic tube and what plastic tube should I order?
>>

>> John Testement
>> jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com <mailto:jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com>
>> 40321
>> Working on QB fuse

>> 1/16/06

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
lwalters2(at)cfl.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

Cool!  I like the idea of colored tubing.  You're way ahead of the game.  I have issues with tubing installed on my 30 year old Grumman AA-1B.  I just replaced the lines with Ace tubing .... it'll last longer than I will!!!
Linn
--> RV10-List message posted by: "Kelly McMullen" <kellym(at)aviating.com> (kellym(at)aviating.com)

linn walters said:
Quote:
IMHO, you should take a look at how long you plan on keeping the bird in
question. ALL plastic will deteriorate over time, faster in hot or
drier climates. See how easy it is to replace and make your decision.
Plastic has the ability to be routed easily, the aluminum doesn't
(relatively) ..... however, the aluminum will be there looong after the
plastic is gone!!!
Linn

do not archive

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rvbuilder(at)sausen.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

  Personally, I am running SafeAir's tubing all the way to the pitot and the static heads.  Can't remember what it's made of but it is plastic.  They use the exact same tubing that is used for air brake lines so I'm guessing that they will be more than sufficient.  I mainly went with theirs because it came with all of the connectors along with static ports.

  If I had to do it again I would probably just use 1/4" polyethylene tubing that you can get from any home improvement store.  PEX (polyethylene) tubing, and it's fast on connectors, are more than adequate and I have yet to have a leak in one with water pressures around 100psi.  Not to mention it is now being used as primary water lines in homes and is more commonly used as the hot glycol tubing in radiant concrete floors.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

I am about to run the line to my heated pitot tube (Falcon tube) and want to know if you guys recommend using aluminum or plastic lines to the wing root. What are the pros and cons of each? I think I will probably run plastic from the root to the panel. Also what connectors do I want to be using for both the aluminum tube and plastic tube and what plastic tube should I order?

John Testement
jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com (jwt(at)roadmapscoaching.com)
40321
Working on QB fuse

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
toaster73(at)earthlink.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

I am using a Cessna heated probe from salvage with newish heating element inside. It actually had a plastic pipe union on the probe itself and attached was plastic line. A check of the Cessna parts manual indicated the same. SO I guess the plastic all the way from the probe is ok in that case, it also specified 18 gauge wire. The Cessna probe is Aluminum. I think I am going to run a small bit of Al tubing up through the mast and then go tygon all the way to the panel. Aircraft Spruce seems to have everything required as was said in another post.
-Chris Lucas
#40072
Wings
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
steveadams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pitot lines - paper of plastic? Reply with quote

I have the Piper type heated pitot/static. Initially I ran tygon all the way to the hookups on the pitot/static. On about my 3rd flight, after testing the pitot heat at pre-flight, I accidently left it on. About 20 minutes into the flight I lost airspeed because the tubing had melted. I replaced it with about 10 inch sections of aluminum tubing coming off the pitot/static and it has been trouble free ever since.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours