Pitot heat suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
will(at)willcrook.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Pitot heat suggestions Reply with quote

Bob & Barry,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'm at the very beginning of the wiring phase, so the savings of Bob's suggestion covers the cost of a decent solder gun.  Will Radio Shack sell the silver solder?

As to the ground, I plan on running all my grounds back into the fuselage to a common ground. The Glastar is a neat bird, but the metal wings (that fold) comming back to a powder coated steel tube cage and composite fuselage seems to me to be a good case for keeping all the grounds together.

Will Crook
Waynesville, NC

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Pitot heat suggestions Reply with quote

In a message dated 7/25/06 7:40:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
will(at)willcrook.com writes:

Quote:
Will Radio Shack sell the silver solder?

As to the ground, I plan on running all my grounds back into the fuselage

a common ground. The Glastar is a neat bird, but the metal wings (that
fold)

Quote:
comming back to a powder coated steel tube cage and composite fuselage
seems

Quote:
to me to be a good case for keeping all the grounds together.

Will Crook
Waynesville, NC
==================================

Will:

Call a couple of Air Conditioning Supply Shops (HVAC), see if they have 6%
Silver Solder or better. I would not use just the soldering, a good round crimp
terminal followed by silver solder should do the job. BUT! Remember,
maintenance down the road will be a bit more difficult if you solder.

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Pitot heat suggestions Reply with quote

==================================
Will:

Call a couple of Air Conditioning Supply Shops (HVAC), see if they have 6%
Silver Solder or better. I would not use just the soldering, a good round
crimp
terminal followed by silver solder should do the job. BUT! Remember,
maintenance down the road will be a bit more difficult if you solder.

How so? The pitot tube is supplied with pins that mate
with an expensive, hard to find connector. The suggested
modification allows use of inexpensive connector technology
located remotely from the hostile environment located at
the base of the pitot tube.

I don't see that future maintenance is affected in any
adverse way.

Bob . . .

< What is so wonderful about scientific truth...is that >
< the authority which determines whether there can be >
< debate or not does not reside in some fraternity of >
< scientists; nor is it divine. The authority rests >
< with experiment. >
< --Lawrence M. Krauss >

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Pitot heat suggestions Reply with quote

At 04:30 AM 7/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:

Quote:
Bob & Barry,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm at the very beginning of the wiring
phase, so the savings of Bob's suggestion covers the cost of a decent
solder gun. Will Radio Shack sell the silver solder?

You're looking for "hard" silver solder. Electronic tin/lead
solder that bears some silver (2 - 4%) is not suitable Further, the
suggested solder melts at orange temperatures. Conventional
electronic soldering tools will not produce the necessary heat.

My favorite shop tool for applying the necessary heat is
a $10 torch from Bernzomatic. See:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Tools/Soldering/ST100T_Microtorch_small.jpg

You get these at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

You can get a kit of solder and flux off ebay
at item 250006585548 or item 4463571008

Practice with the tools and materials on sticking
things together. Use some coat-hangar wire to emulate
your pitot tube pin. Attach some pieces of Teflon
14AWG to hangar wire until you're familar with the
techniques.

Quote:

As to the ground, I plan on running all my grounds back into the fuselage
to a common ground. The Glastar is a neat bird, but the metal wings (that
fold) comming back to a powder coated steel tube cage and composite
fuselage seems to me to be a good case for keeping all the grounds together.

You got it. Local grounding is useful ONLY in metal
airplanes assembled with lots of rivets. One you
ad joints (moving or adhesive), all electrical bets
are off.

Bob . . .
< What is so wonderful about scientific truth...is that >
< the authority which determines whether there can be >
< debate or not does not reside in some fraternity of >
< scientists; nor is it divine. The authority rests >
< with experiment. >
< --Lawrence M. Krauss >

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Pitot heat suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
Will:

Call a couple of Air Conditioning Supply Shops (HVAC), see if they have 6%
Silver Solder or better. I would not use just the soldering, a good round
crimp terminal followed by silver solder should do the job. BUT! Remember,
maintenance down the road will be a bit more difficult if you solder.

How so? The pitot tube is supplied with pins that mate
with an expensive, hard to find connector. The suggested
modification allows use of inexpensive connector technology
located remotely from the hostile environment located at
the base of the pitot tube.

I don't see that future maintenance is affected in any
adverse way.

Bob . . .
=====================================
Bob:

It is not a big deal if the connections are soldered in addition to push on
connections. But, think of it this way; which would be easier for you to do
inspect and do maintenance on ... A circuit board or component or wires that
MUST be unsoldered from a circuit board to work on, or an entire circuit board or
component or wires that can be moved to the workbench to be worked on, or in
this case moved out of the way?

It is purely one's preference, the plane will not fall out of the sky.
I did say a "bit more difficult", not impossible. Been there, done that,
doing it now.
Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours