Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
jdubner(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

Can anyone shed some light on a question about the use of two Ray Allen
Company control stick grips with trim switches, two RAC relay decks, and
RAC servos for aileron and elevator trim? The RAC "Wire schematic" is
attached.

Do both sets of trim switches (the corresponding switches from grip 1
and grip 2) connect to the points labeled Switch 1, Switch3, Switch4,
and Switch2? To me the diagram doesn't make this clear.

Does anyone have a schematic diagram of a complete RAC trim system that
includes relay deck(s) and indicator(s)? The RAC documentation spreads
out the applicable information between the stick grip and the servo
manuals and it is more of a pictorial than a schematic diagram. I'd
particularly like to see what's inside the "relay deck".

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Dubner K7JD | 523 Cedar Avenue | users.lewiston.com/hth/jd/
Long-EZ 821RP | Lewiston, ID 83501 | +1 208 305-2688

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Ray_Allen_Stick_Grip_Wiring.jpg
 Filesize:  79.95 KB
 Viewed:  902 Time(s)

Ray_Allen_Stick_Grip_Wiring.jpg

Back to top
craig(at)craigandjean.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

I'm not certain what is inside RAC's relay deck but this is how Infinity
says to wire their dual sticks with relays:

www.infinityaerospace.com/Flap2.pdf

-- Craig

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
jdubner(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

I didn't receive any meaningful responses to my original query but I
found a diagram on Bob's site (thanks, Bob!) that answers a lot of my
questions: http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles//trim.pdf

Let me phrase my original question another way: do both (pilot and
copilot) trim switches connect (in parallel) to the ORN and GRN wires of
the "MAC SERVO RELAY DECK" in the above diagram? I think so but I'd
like to hear from someone who has actually wired this system.

And what have others done to connect this "mini-rats nest" of small
gauge wires? Between the two stick grips, two relay decks, two trim
servos and two needle-type indicators there must be two dozen
connections and not a single terminal to fasten to.

--
Joe
Long-EZ 821RP
On 10-Jun-06 14:40 Joe Dubner wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone shed some light on a question about the use of two Ray Allen
Company control stick grips with trim switches, two RAC relay decks, and
RAC servos for aileron and elevator trim? The RAC "Wire schematic" is
attached.

Do both sets of trim switches (the corresponding switches from grip 1
and grip 2) connect to the points labeled Switch 1, Switch3, Switch4,
and Switch2? To me the diagram doesn't make this clear.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
jschroeder(at)perigee.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

JOe -

I sent you 2 or 3 .pdf files with the wiring we used for connecting the
pilot and co-pilot trim switches. They show the relay deck connections in
color coded wiring. Let me know if you did not get them and I'll
re-transmit.

John Schroeder
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 02:49:56 -0700, Joe Dubner <jdubner(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

I didn't receive any meaningful responses to my original query but I
found a diagram on Bob's site (thanks, Bob!) that answers a lot of my
questions: http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles//trim.pdf

Let me phrase my original question another way: do both (pilot and
copilot) trim switches connect (in parallel) to the ORN and GRN wires of
the "MAC SERVO RELAY DECK" in the above diagram? I think so but I'd
like to hear from someone who has actually wired this system.

And what have others done to connect this "mini-rats nest" of small
gauge wires? Between the two stick grips, two relay decks, two trim
servos and two needle-type indicators there must be two dozen
connections and not a single terminal to fasten to.

--
Joe
Long-EZ 821RP
Lewiston, ID
On 10-Jun-06 14:40 Joe Dubner wrote:
> Can anyone shed some light on a question about the use of two Ray Allen
> Company control stick grips with trim switches, two RAC relay decks, and
> RAC servos for aileron and elevator trim? The RAC "Wire schematic" is
> attached.
>
> Do both sets of trim switches (the corresponding switches from grip 1
> and grip 2) connect to the points labeled Switch 1, Switch3, Switch4,
> and Switch2? To me the diagram doesn't make this clear.

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

Joe,

I don't have the same servos and hookup that you do, but here is how I handled all the wires coming down the control stick.

I used DB-9 (Actually they are DE-9, I think) type computer connectors.  These are usually gold plated and are very compact and reliable connectors.  They are the style like on the back of your computer for the parallel port or the old serial ports -- 2 rows of pins with one row having 1 more than the other.  You could use DB-15 or DB-25.  Mount one in a slot cut in one of the ribs near the base of the stick.  Or you could just leave them loose and cable tie them in a position that keeps them from chaffing, etc.  One connector of course becomes part of the aircraft wiring.  The other connector is connected to the wires coming down the stick with about 6 or 8 inches of extra wire.  They can be held by 2 screws or some styles have 2 snap over spring wires.  These are available from Digikey or Radio Shack or any of the electronic or computer stores.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

In a message dated 6/14/2006 8:42:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jdubner(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
And what have others done to connect this "mini-rats nest" of small
gauge wires?  Between the two stick grips, two relay decks, two trim
servos and two needle-type indicators there must be two dozen
connections and not a single terminal to fasten to.

--
Joe
Long-EZ 821RP
Lewiston, ID

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
jdubner(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

Answering my own question here so that others may profit from my
research ...

I just got off the phone with Scott at RAC and he confirmed that two (or
any number) of trim switches can be connected to each input wire of a
relay deck. No isolation diodes are used with SPST switches to ground.

There is no inherent danger in activating multiple trim switches
simultaneously. And grounding both relay deck input wires
simultaneously will provide no output to the trim servo, just as if no
switch was activated.

Note that this information applies to an installation that uses two G305
Stick Grips, two REL-1 Servo Relay Decks, and two T2-7A servos. It does
not necessarily apply to *all* RAC trim installations. For example, the
RAC website shows a wiring diagram for RS2 Rocker Switches that requires
isolation diodes unless the RS2 switches are rewired in some unspecified
fashion. See http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia/instructionstwoRS2.pdf

There's a lot of misinformation floating around. When I spoke with
Scott I made a pitch for including real schematic diagrams of their
components (rather than a bewildering array of wiring diagrams) so one
could properly analyze their operation without spending a lot of effort
reverse engineering or making so many assumptions. I don't think he was
convinced so I'd urge anyone else who has opportunity to ask RAC a
question to make the same request.

--
Joe

[...]

rparigor(at)SUFFOLK.LIB.N
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

Just some very basic information about Ray Allen Servos (or other DC Brush
Motors) that if you don't know, you should:

The motors used on my T4-5 and whatever model a Europa uses for pitch
(with indicator) are simple brush motors.

Reverse the polarity of the 2 wires going to the motor, and the motor
reverses.

If you connect the 2 wires going to the motor to each other, it will act
as a brake. In other words if the motor is spinning and you disconnect
power, you are relying on the drag from brushes, gears and load to stop
the motor. These brush motors are generators if you spin them. They will
slow up real quick but only if you put a load on them. Connecting the 2
leads is a good load (generator needs to work with shorted wires, thus
there is motor braking).

If you draw a schematic of what their reversible switch is doing, things
will become very clear. Specialized switch (nice job) that you need relays
to duplicate with mini stick switches.

When I was studying how to deal with switching control from left stick to
right stick for my 3 servo motors (Aileron Ray Allen, Pitch pay Allen and
Airmaster Prop) I do see that there are some installs that do not use
motor braking. I am incorporating Braking.

I went with a multi tier selector switch (will look up info if anyone is
interested in busting the budget) and 4 relays.

By using a brake, when you let go of switch there is not much in the way
of coasting. I think this will be enough control so that I will not need
to control motor speed.

Another note on controlling speed of a DC brush motor, you can just add
resistors, which will drop voltage. The motor will not develop as much
torque. Or you can install a pulse proportion electronic speed controller.
It will provide full voltage, but depending on selection will limit the on
time per second, thus slowing down the motor. Also more efficient. If you
fly model electrics you will appreciate this feature, also there is a lot
less heat developed in wasted energy (last 2 sentences same thing).

If you don't install a speed controller, it can not fail or make noise.

Last note while standing on my soap box, do not over drive throw of
whatever it is you are trying to drive. If you want 3/16 throw up and down
for roll trim tab, and you are getting 1/2 inch, besides being undesirable
in event of run away, it is working motor harder than it could, and moves
far faster than it could, and is more susceptible to stripping gears if
you have "Muppet's" (as Neville would say) bang into your tab. Increase
driven control arm, or add a intermediate long arm in, short arm out.

Off Box.

Ron Parigoris

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
zk-vii(at)rvproject.gen.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

All great stuff - I'm going through this at the moment (yesterday).....

Questions:

The Panasonic CF2-12V relay
(http://www.naisweb.com/e/relaye/mech_eng/pdf/mech_eng_cf.pdf) is designed
for car electric windows and provides a nice twin relay (and motor
breaking - I now note), however DigiKey needs 35 as a minimum order.....
Any other leads for a similar twin option - otherwise it is 4 singles +
diodes.....

Speed control: Is it better for a low (regulated) voltage, or 12V pulsed
for a the 'slow' speed? Pro / Cons?

Thanks,

Carl
--
ZK-VII - RV 7A QB - finishing? - New Zealand
http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/

[quote] --

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
brian

Location: Sacramento, California, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

On Jun 26, 2006, at 6:37 PM, Carl Morgan wrote:

Quote:

vii(at)rvproject.gen.nz>

All great stuff - I'm going through this at the moment
(yesterday).....

Questions:

The Panasonic CF2-12V relay
(http://www.naisweb.com/e/relaye/mech_eng/pdf/mech_eng_cf.pdf) is
designed
for car electric windows and provides a nice twin relay (and motor
breaking - I now note), however DigiKey needs 35 as a minimum
order.....
Any other leads for a similar twin option - otherwise it is 4
singles +
diodes.....

You don't need fancy relays to have motor control with braking. For
each trim motor you need two single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) relays.

Connect both NC contacts of the relays to ground. Connect both NO
contacts of the relays to +12V. Connect the two leads coming from the
trim motor to the armature (moving) contacts of the two relays, one
wire to each relay. Wire up your trim switches from your yokes/sticks
to energize the relay coils.

When neither relay is energized, both leads of the trim motor are
connected to ground and since they are shorted, the motor will
provide dynamic braking. If you energize one relay the motor will run
in one direction. If you energize the other relay, the motor will run
in the reverse direction. If you inadvertently energize both relays
both leads from the motor get tied to +12 which shorts the motor
leads together and provides braking. This is fail safe in case one
person tries to activate trim in one direction while the other person
tries to activate trim in the other direction. The trim motor doesn't
run in that case. Fail safe.

Quote:

Speed control: Is it better for a low (regulated) voltage, or 12V
pulsed
for a the 'slow' speed? Pro / Cons?

Pulse width control for speed control is better but more expensive to
do.
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak AT lloyd DOT com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Brian Lloyd
brian-yak at lloyd dot com
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

At 08:13 PM 6/26/2006 +0000, you wrote:

Quote:

Just some very basic information about Ray Allen Servos (or other DC Brush
Motors) that if you don't know, you should:

The motors used on my T4-5 and whatever model a Europa uses for pitch
(with indicator) are simple brush motors.

Reverse the polarity of the 2 wires going to the motor, and the motor
reverses.

This is a permanent magnet motor . . . there are other motors that
also use brushes that have three or perhaps 4-leads and have different
requirements for reversing . . . but the motor you describe is VERY
common.
Quote:
If you connect the 2 wires going to the motor to each other, it will act
as a brake. In other words if the motor is spinning and you disconnect
power, you are relying on the drag from brushes, gears and load to stop
the motor. These brush motors are generators if you spin them. They will
slow up real quick but only if you put a load on them. Connecting the 2
leads is a good load (generator needs to work with shorted wires, thus
there is motor braking).

This is called 'dynamic braking' and is recommended for most situations
where motor coast after shut-off is a problem.
Quote:
If you draw a schematic of what their reversible switch is doing, things
will become very clear. Specialized switch (nice job) that you need relays
to duplicate with mini stick switches.

When I was studying how to deal with switching control from left stick to
right stick for my 3 servo motors (Aileron Ray Allen, Pitch pay Allen and
Airmaster Prop) I do see that there are some installs that do not use
motor braking. I am incorporating Braking.

I went with a multi tier selector switch (will look up info if anyone is
interested in busting the budget) and 4 relays.

Budget shouldn't be a problem. Relays with mounting feet and push-on
spade terminals from Digi-Key. Goto http://digikey.com
and search on: G8P-1C2T-F-DC12

These are SPDT relays with mounting feet, fast-on terminals,
and cost $4.10 each. They look like this:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Relays/s704inst.jpg

Quote:
By using a brake, when you let go of switch there is not much in the way
of coasting. I think this will be enough control so that I will not need
to control motor speed.

Controlling motor speed is seldom an issue driven by whether
or not the motor stops quickly . . . optimal trim rates are
linked to indicated airspeed. Aircraft with wide range (greater
than 2:1) difference in IAS for cruise versus over-the-fence
generally benefit from adjustable rates for electrically driven
trim systems.

For the Lears, by the time pitch trim was slowed down sufficiently
for optimum operation at cruise, the pilots had do start trimming
10 miles out to get the machine down to approach speeds over the
fence.
Quote:
Another note on controlling speed of a DC brush motor, you can just add
resistors, which will drop voltage. The motor will not develop as much
torque.

An un-quantified concern when the neophyte builder hasn't the foggiest
notion of exactly how much torque is needed for a given task . . .
he tries it and if it "works" then he goes on.

Quote:
Or you can install a pulse proportion electronic speed controller.
It will provide full voltage, but depending on selection will limit the on
time per second, thus slowing down the motor. Also more efficient. If you
fly model electrics you will appreciate this feature, also there is a lot
less heat developed in wasted energy (last 2 sentences same thing).

Trim systems are intermittent duty . . . both wattage and total
energy dumped during trim operations is microscopic with compared
with all other requirements for electrical energy. Selecting
a linear versus duty cycle switching versus switch mode regulators
for trim speed control may be an intellectually satisfying exercise
but in the final analysis, I'll suggest that max performance
(accurate, stable set-point), low parts count, low cost of implementation
are high on the list of points to consider irrespective of which
control philosophy is being considered.
Quote:
If you don't install a speed controller, it can not fail or make noise.

There are a number of variations on a theme downloadable from . . .

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Flight/Trim

but in particular . . .

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Flight/Trim/trim6.pdf

. . . where you see a two-speed trim system that's automatically
set to high speed ops as soon as you extend any flaps. This is
how it was switched on the Lear 35. All the part are available
from Radio Shack or other sources . . .
Quote:
Last note while standing on my soap box, do not over drive throw of
whatever it is you are trying to drive. If you want 3/16 throw up and down
for roll trim tab, and you are getting 1/2 inch, besides being undesirable
in event of run away, it is working motor harder than it could, and moves
far faster than it could, and is more susceptible to stripping gears if
you have "Muppet's" (as Neville would say) bang into your tab. Increase
driven control arm, or add a intermediate long arm in, short arm out.

Absolutely! Far to many trim systems have way too much authority
when allowed to drive to mechanical limits described by the kit or
plans. During your fly off, see how much authority is offered by
the as-built system and install mechanical stops or otherwise modify
geometry of the linkage to limit mechanical travel to what's really
needed.

I've know several folks bend airplanes pretty badly (one totaled)
because trim drove to a limit and surprised the pilot when the tail
came up but before he had a lot of aerodynamic authority with controls.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rparigor(at)SUFFOLK.LIB.N
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen Trim Servo Wiring Reply with quote

Hello Bob

Thx. for chiming in.

Have a few comments****

Quote:
>If you draw a schematic of what their reversible switch is doing, things
>will become clear>>

****Brians post spells out in words and relays exact what ray allen does
with switches. I was hoping some who read my post would sit down and draw
out and figure out this concept. Once concept is grasped, far easier to
exact apply to ones exact application.

Quote:
>I went with a multi tier selector switch (will look up info if anyone is
>interested break the budget. It was more that $125 but lein busting the budget) and 4 relays.

Budget shouldn't be a problem. Relays with mounting feet and push-on
spade terminals from Digi-Key. Goto http://digikey.com
and search on: G8P-1C2T-F-DC12

These are SPDT relays with mounting feet, fast-on terminals,
and cost $4.10 each. They look like this:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Relays/s704inst.jpg

****The multi tier selector switch I went with can break the budget, it
was more than $125 but less that $150. It is made up of stack-able high
reliability gold contact rated DC switched. Work of art with LEDs to
indicate Pilot or co-Pilot. I am using 2 relays per side ( 2 for pilot and
2 for co pilot "cheap hardware"). I could have gone with a Relay (cheap)
for side selection, but chose to go with the switch. My business is
copiers (since 1975) and have seen relays fail in every inconceivable way.
I trust my chosen selector switch more than a relay. I am relying on this
selector switch in addition to running pitch and roll trim, also prop
motor. If 1 side has a problem, switching to other hopeful will cure till
on the ground.

Quote:
>By using a brake, when you let go of switch there is not much in the way
>of coasting. I think this will be enough control so that I will not need
>to control motor speed.

Controlling motor speed is seldom an issue driven by whether
or not the motor stops quickly . . . optimal trim rates are
linked to indicated airspeed. Aircraft with wide range (greater
than 2:1) difference in IAS for cruise versus over-the-fence
generally benefit from adjustable rates for electrically driven
trim systems.

For the Lears, by the time pitch trim was slowed down sufficiently
for optimum operation at cruise, the pilots had do start trimming
10 miles out to get the machine down to approach speeds over the
fence.

>Another note on controlling speed of a DC brush motor, you can just add
>resistors, which will drop voltage. The motor will not develop as much
>torque.

An un-quantified concern when the neophyte builder hasn't the foggiest
notion of exactly how much torque is needed for a given task . . .
he tries it and if it "works" then he goes on.

****Your points are well taken. On a fair performance aeroplane like a
Europa, where the Mfg. depicts the servo, and supplies the switch which in
fact incorporates dynamic braking and only full motor speed, if one were
not aware that dynamic braking was designed into the equation, and builder
redesigned without, I suspect that it would be a bit too touchy for ones
taste at cruise. I am sure a pulse with modulation circuit, or a resistor
may help, but braking on a marginal fast system can be the deciding
factor. I have limited time on a europa, but found the pitch trim at
cruise lively and desirable. If it overshot just a bit my input, it may be
undesirable. I fooled with motor with and without braking during build,
braking makes thing awful precise. I will follow kinda sorta your mention
as to how to figure if enough torque is available with a dropping resistor
to slow motor speed "he tries it and if it "works" then he goes on" I will
do the same with Dynamic braking, and if I find that I want slower speed
of motor or 2 speeds, then I will install a speed controller. I would not
second guess the mfg. of a high performance craft that suggests a 2 or
more speed trim at first, if it were me, I would probably build as per
mfg. go fly and modify if I felt it was needed.

Quote:
>Last note while standing on my soap box, do not over drive throw of
>whatever it is you are trying to drive. If you want 3/16 throw up and down
>for roll trim tab, and you are getting 1/2 inch, besides being undesirable
>in event of run away, it is working motor harder than it could, and moves
>far faster than it could, and is more susceptible to stripping gears if
>you have "Muppet's" (as Neville would say) bang into your tab. Increase
>driven control arm, or add a intermediate long arm in, short arm out.

Absolutely! Far to many trim systems have way too much authority
when allowed to drive to mechanical limits described by the kit or
plans. During your fly off, see how much authority is offered by
the as-built system and install mechanical stops or otherwise modify
geometry of the linkage to limit mechanical travel to what's really
needed.

I've know several folks bend airplanes pretty badly (one totaled)
because trim drove to a limit and surprised the pilot when the tail
came up but before he had a lot of aerodynamic authority with controls.

**** Sorry for boring with this now triple mentioned point, but I think it
is important. Will mention benefits as they pertain to models and full
size, perhaps if someone who did not yet get it, this may trigger:
**If you have too much throw, any play in mechanical linkage will equate
to more free play than if you had it set where max. movement of servo was
equal to exact throw needed. Exact throw required equates to more precise
control.
**Too much throw makes trim tab move faster.
**Too much throw provides less force to trim tab and requires motor and
transmission to work harder compared to exact throws.
**Too much throw can grow to way too much throw when the thing runs away
and the internal limit switch fails. I suggest ripping apart servo and
looking at just what is in there, go ahead and scare yourself. As Bob
suggests Mechanical limits or geometry design is prudent. I will make
mention that Europa incorporates a friction damper for the T-Bar that
controls the Anti servo tab for pitch in the event the servo linkage
failed for any number of reasons. The same damper also has mechanical
stops. Without the damper amd a linkage failure, I don't want to be the
one to find out how much damage the subsequent flutter of the antiservo
tabs will do.

Ron Parigoris

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours