Folding bike?

stabelvej9(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

Hi

I am so old that I still remember the first leaflet Iwan gave me on Cranefield back - yes, it was last century
To build and fly my Europa was the easy part .... Smile
To find a folding bike suitable for the "Europa-Projekt" is more difficult.
I have tried several, but they are either to heavy, to "big" or runs poorly - even bought a BMW one, and paid a fortune - the worst one of them all!
Have you guys found a nice bicycle that fits in the Europa ... ??

Regards Gert

Gert Dalgaard
Denmark
OY-GDS / Mono / 914 / 650 hrs

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

Gert,
I have a Yikebike. Fits well, easy to use, electric, and expensive. But worth a look. Made in NZ!
Selling a lot overseas. Choice of three with differing materials, weight and price. I have the Fusion.
See;
http://www.yikebike.com

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221
Quote:
On 1/09/2014, at 8:07 pm, Gert Dalgaard Sørensen <stabelvej9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I am so old that I still remember the first leaflet Iwan gave me on Cranefield back - yes, it was last century
To build and fly my Europa was the easy part .... Smile
To find a folding bike suitable for the "Europa-Projekt" is more difficult.
I have tried several, but they are either to heavy, to "big" or runs poorly - even bought a BMW one, and paid a fortune - the worst one of them all!
Have you guys found a nice bicycle that fits in the Europa ... ??

Regards Gert

Gert Dalgaard
Denmark
OY-GDS / Mono / 914 / 650 hrs

JonSmith

Joined: 21 May 2010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Folding bike? Reply with quote

The "Rolls Royce" of folding bikes I think is the Brompton.
www.brompton.com
(Other makes undoubtably may or may not exist which may or may not be better...!)

They are expensive though - I would love to own one but can't really afford one with everything else on my wish list....!

G-TERN
Classic Mono
alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

I invested in a Brompton some years ago to help me lose weight!

They certainly fit into the Europa and mine weighs in at 15Kg with the optional luggage carrier on the back and lights.

Alan
On 1 Sep 2014, at 09:29, JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa(at)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:

The "Rolls Royce" of folding bikes I think is the Brompton.
www.brompton.com
(Other makes undoubtably may or may not exist which may or may not be better...!)

They are expensive though - I would love to own one but can't really afford one with everything else on my wish list....!

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

Gert
Ivan has one but I forgot what it is. He thinks it's great.
Graham

--> Europa-List message posted by: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gert_Dalgaard_S=F8rensen?= <stabelvej9(at)gmail.com (stabelvej9(at)gmail.com)>

Hi

I am so old that I still remember the first leaflet Iwan gave me on Cranefield back - yes, it was last century
To build and fly my Europa was the easy part .... Smile
To find a folding bike suitable for the "Europa-Projekt" is more difficult.
I have tried several, but they are either to heavy, to "big" or runs poorly - even bought a BMW one, and paid a fortune - the worst one of them all!
Have you guys found a nice bicycle that fits in the Europa ... ??

Regards Gert

Gert Dalgaard
Denmark
OY-GDS / Monotp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List" target="_blank">http://www.bsp; www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/==================

Ivor Phillips

Location: London UK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

Hi Gert
I use a brompton 6 speed with aluminium frame, but you can also get one with titanium at a price,
A few off the Europa guys use them, their wheel size is a good compromise between stability and comfort, I also have a Gel saddle to improve distant travel,
Regards
Ivor
G-IVER

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 1 Sep 2014, at 09:07, Gert Dalgaard Sørensen <stabelvej9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I am so old that I still remember the first leaflet Iwan gave me on Cranefield back - yes, it was last century
To build and fly my Europa was the easy part .... Smile
To find a folding bike suitable for the "Europa-Projekt" is more difficult.
I have tried several, but they are either to heavy, to "big" or runs poorly - even bought a BMW one, and paid a fortune - the worst one of them all!
Have you guys found a nice bicycle that fits in the Europa ... ??

Regards Gert

Gert Dalgaard
Denmark
OY-GDS / Mono / 914 / 650 hrs

Jim Kelly

Location: England

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

Hi Alan, Is your Europa a Classic ie without the extended luggage bay ?
Rgds
Jim Kelly
G-BWEG

[quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk (alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk)>

On 1 Sep 2014, at 09:29, JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa(at)tiscali.co.uk (jonsmitheuropa(at)tiscali.co.uk)> wrote:

> --> Europa-List message posted by: "JonSmith" <jonsmitheuropa(at)tiscali.co.uk (jonsmitheuropa(at)tiscali.co.uk)>
>
> The "Rolls Royce" of folding bikes I think is the Brompton.
> www.brompton.com
> (Other makes undoubtably may or may not exist which may or may not be better...!)
>
> They are expensive though - I would love to own one but can't really afford one with everything else on my wish list....!
>
> --------
> G-TERN
> Classic Mono
>

> Read this topic online here:

===========
pa-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Jim GBWEG
alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

G-OBJT is a classic built as a Tri-Gear without the extended luggage bay.
Alan

===========
pa-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

goff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Folding bike? Reply with quote

Hello,

My Brompton fits nicely in the back of our Europa XS Tri-gear.
It weighs 26 lbs, so no problems there either.

In my view both the Europa and the Brompton are outstanding examples of UK design and engineering.

Goff

Fred Klein

Joined: 26 Mar 2012

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Folding bike? Reply with quote

On Sep 1, 2014, at 1:26 AM, Timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
Quote:
Yikebike. Fits well, easy to use, electric, and expensive. But worth a look. Made in NZ!

Great example of what’s possible when design and engineering talent isn’t sucked up by the military / security complex...

pestar

Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Folding bike? Reply with quote

I have a YikeBike, Tim and I are going to set-up a series of YikeBike races and as he has a Europa and I have a DynAero it will be the French against the British.

Not withstanding that in my view the YikeBike is an outstanding example of Kiwi design and engineering. Don't know about the Europa.Very Happy

Said with the greatest tongue in cheek

Cheers Peter

PS My YikeBike is really useful, took it from New Zealand to Oshkosh and rode it around inside, the folk there did not know what it was as it was folded up when I walked through the gate. Only got stopped by officialdom once during the week but got stopped so many times by the locals had to leave it at home for a day so I could see the show. It fits in a case that turns into a trailer when you pull the bike out.

Peter Armstrong
Auckland, New Zealand
DynAero MCR-4S (Do not shoot me Smile ).
787driver

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Location: Southern Florida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Folding bike? Reply with quote

I've tried a number of folding bikes and I would have to second the recommendation for the Brompton. I hate that they are so expensive but I do believe them to be the best.

graeme bird

Joined: 15 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Folding bike? Reply with quote

I get a brompton in the back of my mono and it doesn't have the extended baggage bay mod.
Its very useful for about 6 miles, Shoreham to Brighton, Staverton to Brockworth, Vallance byways to Crawley etc.
After a few rides and years you forget the price. They also hold their price for resale.

Graeme Bird
kit4 (Wagstaff) TBD
Kit3 G-CLXU (Gregory) mono 914 xs Woodcomp
Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
graeme bird

Joined: 15 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Folding bike? Reply with quote

Does anyone out there get two brompton's in a mono without the extended baggage bay. I am considering buying a second and it would lend weight to the argument.
Thanks

Graeme Bird
kit4 (Wagstaff) TBD
Kit3 G-CLXU (Gregory) mono 914 xs Woodcomp
Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
graeme bird

Joined: 15 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Folding bike? Reply with quote

I am reliably informed (with a photograph) that it is possible in a mono - and without extended baggage bay; one must removed the Brompton bike seat stems first and store separately.
Second bike duly ordered;
Had my first one more than 10 years and found it invaluable.