where to put OAT sensor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

rowlandcarson(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: where to put OAT sensor? Reply with quote

I'm wondering where to put my outside air temperature (OAT) sensor. Obviously it doesn't want to be in direct sunlight (although PA28s seem to think that's OK), and not anywhere on the belly downstream of the exhaust. Does anyone have a good suggestion for it? It's tiny, less than thumbnail size, so doesn't need much room, and the wires back to the panel can be as long as needed.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson
| pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson

klinefelter.kevin(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: where to put OAT sensor? Reply with quote

I put mine in the stbd wing root area. Below the fuel elbow. So it's never exposed to the sun, outside the cockpit, opposite the exhaust. Oh, and not exactly sticking out in the breeze creating drag. The wires run under the passenger window to the panel.
Seems to work well...
Kevin

Quote:
On Feb 22, 2014, at 2:44 PM, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering where to put my outside air temperature (OAT) sensor. Obviously it doesn't want to be in direct sunlight (although PA28s seem to think that's OK), and not anywhere on the belly downstream of the exhaust. Does anyone have a good suggestion for it? It's tiny, less than thumbnail size, so doesn't need much room, and the wires back to the panel can be as long as needed.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson
| pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson

rlborger(at)mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: where to put OAT sensor? Reply with quote

Rowland,

I used a small plastic P clip to connect it to the underside of the CD7 (CBM-XS 914 Installation Manual, page 4-6) with the wiring passing through the same grommet as the Wastegate Cable.

I will be working on the Europa tomorrow. With any luck Ill remember to take a picture for you.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (50 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com
On Feb 22, 2014, at 4:44 PM, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering where to put my outside air temperature (OAT) sensor. Obviously it doesn't want to be in direct sunlight (although PA28s seem to think that's OK), and not anywhere on the belly downstream of the exhaust. Does anyone have a good suggestion for it? It's tiny, less than thumbnail size, so doesn't need much room, and the wires back to the panel can be as long as needed.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson
| pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson

alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: where to put OAT sensor? Reply with quote

In the air duct well forward of the radiators

Alan
On 23 Feb 2014, at 02:55, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com> wrote:

Quote:

Rowland,

I used a small plastic P clip to connect it to the underside of the CD7 (CBM-XS 914 Installation Manual, page 4-6) with the wiring passing through the same grommet as the Wastegate Cable.

I will be working on the Europa tomorrow. With any luck Ill remember to take a picture for you.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (50 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

On Feb 22, 2014, at 4:44 PM, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering where to put my outside air temperature (OAT) sensor. Obviously it doesn't want to be in direct sunlight (although PA28s seem to think that's OK), and not anywhere on the belly downstream of the exhaust. Does anyone have a good suggestion for it? It's tiny, less than thumbnail size, so doesn't need much room, and the wires back to the panel can be as long as needed.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson
| pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: where to put OAT sensor? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm wondering where to put my outside air temperature (OAT) sensor.

Rowland,

How about inside an airvent? Cessna have had them there for years.

Regards
Kingsley

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: where to put OAT sensor? Reply with quote

Makes sense Kingsley,
btw when are you coming to UK? You won't forget where we are will you? (even if you did camp indoors{{!Wink
Graham