Empennage SBs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
vanremog(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

Might I suggest as you all go about your SB inspections, that you report back to the lists with your a/c type, TTA, inspection results (no cracks, cracks, extensive cracks) and your flying profiles (no aero, mild aero, hard aero) to help us understand the overall fleet condition and assess the airframe life of these designs under the normal range of conditions. Some of you are quite easy on these airframes while others I'm sure are yank and bankers.

As for my RV-6A situation at 1130 TTA, no cracks or distress found in either the horizontal stab or elevator, with a history of mild to no aerobatics, a few dozen hours in mountain wave conditions during cross countries and only one time to +6gs during botched maneuver.

-GV
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
n81jg(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

RV7A 781JG
466 hrs
No aero
No cracks HS or E

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 9, 2014, at 10:41 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com) wrote:
[...]

rice737(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

RV8   N64PR
400 hours, light acro.
No Cracks found, but also no relief holes(indents) either.  Same with my friends RV6 slow build 9 still building), not relief recesses(indents).

Subject: Re: Empennage SBs
From: n81jg(at)aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 22:57:02 -0800
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com

[...]

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

igator?RV-List"" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
quot;" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
tribution"" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

[b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
sheldonb(at)frontiernet.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

RV6A 707 hrs 0-360 w/sensenich fp. No acro or grass/dirt strips. No cracks hs or elev.
Sheldon N858SB
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
carl.froehlich(at)verizon
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

RV8A N716RV
700 hours, mild aerobatics. No cracks or other issues found on HS or elevator.
Carl

On Feb 10, 2014, at 1:57 AM, Jack <n81jg(at)aol.com (n81jg(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[...]

FisherPaulA(at)johndeere.
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

RV-7A N18PF
435 hours (first flight August 2009)
No cracks
No aerobatics
(yes, I baby it!)

- Paul

Might I suggest as you all go about your SB inspections, that you report back to the lists with your a/c type, TTA, inspection results (no cracks, cracks, extensive cracks) and your flying profiles (no aero, mild aero, hard aero) to help us understand the overall fleet condition and assess the airframe life of these designs under the normal range of conditions.

…snip…
[quote] [b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
gene.lee(at)gte.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

RV7A finished 2005
O-360, CS Prop
1051 hrs
Very Little light Aero
No cracks HS or E

Might I suggest as you all go about your SB inspections, that you report back to the lists with your a/c type, TTA, inspection results (no cracks, cracks, extensive cracks) and your flying profiles (no aero, mild aero, hard aero) to help us understand the overall fleet condition and assess the airframe life of these designs under the normal range of conditions. Some of you are quite easy on these airframes while others I'm sure are yank and bankers.

As for my RV-6A situation at 1130 TTA, no cracks or distress found in either the horizontal stab or elevator, with a history of mild to no aerobatics, a few dozen hours in mountain wave conditions during cross countries and only one time to +6gs during botched maneuver.

-GV

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
HCRV6(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

RV-6 N16CX

1140 hours

O-360A1A

Catto two blade (composite, wood/glass)

Very mild acro, some grass

Numerous horrible landings

No cracks
Harry Crosby

Might I suggest as you all go about your SB inspections, that you report back to the lists with your a/c type, TTA, inspection results (no cracks, cracks, extensive cracks) and your flying profiles (no aero, mild aero, hard aero) to help us understand the overall fleet condition and assess the airframe life of these designs under the normal range of conditions.

…snip…
Quote:

t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
mr.sun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

700 hour 2004 RV7 light acro.  No cracks.
2300 hour, friend's RV6, light acro, lots of instruction, no cracks
Greg On Feb 10, 2014 1:43 AM, "Paul Rice" <rice737(at)msn.com (rice737(at)msn.com)> wrote:[quote] RV8   N64PR

From: n81jg(at)aol.com (n81jg(at)aol.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 22:57:02 -0800
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)

[...]

_________________
Greg RV-7
sarg314(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

I did the inspections and could see no problems, though I should mention that since my airplane was painted before It was flown, it was painted in pieces (55 to be exact). So my elevators and H.S. have color coat on top of the primer virtually everywhere that is visible.  That urethane paint is pretty tough and flexible. There could be a crack in the aluminum without it showing through urethane, couldn't there?

N811WT

IO-360-B2B

3-blade Catto prop.

125 hrs.

No problems visible.

--
Tom Sargent

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Empennage SBs Reply with quote

On 2/10/2014 2:03 PM, Thomas Sargent wrote:
Quote:
I did the inspections and could see no problems, though I should
mention that since my airplane was painted before It was flown, it was
painted in pieces (55 to be exact). So my elevators and H.S. have
color coat on top of the primer virtually everywhere that is visible.
That urethane paint is pretty tough and flexible. There could be a
crack in the aluminum without it showing through urethane, couldn't there?

N811WT
IO-360-B2B
3-blade Catto prop.
125 hrs.

No problems visible.

--
Tom Sargent
Unfortunately, the SB says to remove paint/primer so you can see the

cracks, if they are there.
Q:
Inspection: Remove the Empennage fairing. Carefully inspect for cracks
emanating from
the stress relief notch at the inboard end of the forward horizontal
stabilizer spar flanges.
(see Figure 1 and figure 3). Clean the area and remove any paint,
overspray or primer
that could hide a crack. Cracks may be very small and hard to detect.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours