Wing skin separation HELP

wdaniell(at)etb.net.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

I have made an error in construction in the interior of the wings and very
cleverly close then (with the error inside).

So now I have to open them again.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Will

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Will.....
Which kind of wings Foam or the later XS skinned wings and what area
/what error are you trying to fix?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru3300

wdaniell(at)etb.net.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

I guess I had better 'fess up.

I did the reinforcements 0/90 instead of 45deg. And then adding really dumb
behaviour to stupidity, I closed the wings out and then realized what I had
done...

I talked to andy about this and he said that the general opinion was to open
up and do them again. He suggested heat and wished me luck! He was very
nice about it

I am currently trying to heat up the skins to loosen the Araldite but I am
getting the distinct feeling that I will end up without useful skins and
with damage to the underneath structure. So I fear than unless anyone has a
bright I idea that new skins are the order of the day. Expensive.

So any ideas or help gratefully received. Anyone got a spare pair of skins
- or perhaps someone who changed standard wings for glider wings?

Will

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Hi! Will..
I would have thought a heat gun applied to the joint in one place at a
time and gradually prise the skins apart with a wedge or blunt chisel
would be a possibility. However I'm not an XS man and so unaware of
where you will be applying heat and at how many points. Why not make one
or two test pieces of waste bonded together to develop a technique prior
to setting to work on the wing?
Regards
Bob Harrison.

kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Will,

Using just a heat gun would make it very difficult to get started. If it was
me I would make up a "heat box" out of wood, with a long about 2 inch
opening, with a heat gun at each end. It would need some holes to let the
hot air escape. Hold it on top of the joint long enough to let the redux
soften (trial and error) . Using a spatula, try lifting the skin along that
section. Once you get one end separated, you may be able to loosen the
remainder with just a heat gun and metal spatula.

Karl

Quote:
From: "William Daniell" <wdaniell(at)etb.net.co>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Wing skin separation HELP
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:36:28 -0500

I have made an error in construction in the interior of the wings and very
cleverly close then (with the error inside).

So now I have to open them again.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Will

n3eu(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

My attempt to soften Redux, after it had cured a couple weeks, was too a
failure. Too much heat required, verses heat to damage the glass
structure, which conducts heat poorly to get at the green stuff. For my
safety at least, I would be assuming this procedure might give me a
potential airworthiness problem to forever worry me in severe
turbulence.

I'm surprised the factory would advise -- not knowing any builder's
skill level -- removal by any method other than panel destruction and
replacement (requiring essentially $$, that's all!). Otherwise a
Hobson's choice on structural integrity, attempting a fix, the moral
equivalent of "don't force it...use a bigger hammer."

I don't have this style wing, but merely perused the XS manual online.
It's my opinion that the primary purpose of the tapes is such that
improper orientation of the fibers matters only a little, but I have no
credentials to say that. But, when we add two more tapes, we do stiffen
the ass'y there further, concentrating stresses elsewhere. That could
mean a "seven yard gain, with a five yard penalty," as in U.S. football.
So, if the factory can analyze that one with engineering analysis to say
no harm, they should be able to say computationally why -- in stress
paths -- 90 on the tapes is not good. Or more likely just their gut
reaction and "usual rules" for FG construction.

The only thing I would not do was a fix which may compromise the
structure worse than the original problem.

Reg,
Fred F. (nickname "Hobson")

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

<>

Merely reduces strength by 30%!
Would need to do another load test on the wing to confirm the effect.

Duncan McF

n3eu(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Duncan McFadyean wrote:
Quote:

Merely reduces strength by 30%!
Would need to do another load test on the wing to confirm the effect.

I guess you mean tensile strength of the tape + resin, not the whole
structure, but I'd a guessed more than 30. However, there's stresses
from several directions here -- up/down in Gs, aft in drag, and twist
(flap and aileron). But as to G forces, she tested beyond 10Gs, so
maybe now 9Gs due to the tape problem? Who knows. We need only 3.8G for
utility category safety, though, but I understand the conundrum, is all.

Reg,
Fred F.

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Inverse of the square root of 2. Or 0.707.
Applied at 90 deg, half of the cloth is redundant to stresses orientated
with weft or warp.
Duncan McF.

rowil(at)clara.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

At 2006-01-14 18:35 -0500 William Daniell wrote:

Quote:
I am currently trying to heat up the skins to loosen the Araldite but I am
getting the distinct feeling that I will end up without useful skins and
with damage to the underneath structure

Will - I suggest you talk to some of the glider repair people before
doing anything irrevocable. People like Gary McKirdy or Martin
Carolan would probably have a way to get in & out without buying new
wing skins. Don't know if they inhabit this list, though. If you wish
I can forward your query to them off-list. They are in UK so if you
are elsewhere they can only offer advice - but that might be all you
need!

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson PFA #16532 <http://home.clara.net/rowil/aviation/>
| 750 hours building Europa #435 G-ROWI e-mail <rowil(at)clara.net>

dglauser(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

I had a similar problem after closing my wings. In my case, the plys were in
the correct orientation but there were some gaps between the rear closeout
and both the base and the top. (I found these with the aid of a small TV
camera on the end of a stick, run through panels cut un the wings.) After
consultation with Kim Prout, I cut access panels out of the wing and did the
repairs through the holes. Then I closed the holes using the usual
techniques - add a large flange around the hole that overlaps well onto the
wing (inside), then use the cut-out piece of wing as a closeout panel after
applying reinforcement to it too.

dg
On 1/15/06, Rowland Carson <rowil(at)clara.net> wrote:
Quote:

At 2006-01-14 18:35 -0500 William Daniell wrote:

>I am currently trying to heat up the skins to loosen the Araldite but I
am
>getting the distinct feeling that I will end up without useful skins and
>with damage to the underneath structure

Will - I suggest you talk to some of the glider repair people before
doing anything irrevocable. People like Gary McKirdy or Martin
Carolan would probably have a way to get in & out without buying new
wing skins. Don't know if they inhabit this list, though. If you wish
I can forward your query to them off-list. They are in UK so if you
are elsewhere they can only offer advice - but that might be all you
need!

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson PFA #16532 <http://home.clara.net/rowil/aviation/>
| 750 hours building Europa #435 G-ROWI e-mail <rowil(at)clara.net>

davedeford(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

William,

I think the best heat source for separating the Araldite skin joints is a
flat silicone heat blanket, perhaps an inch wide by a foot or two long (see
www.mcmaster.com, part number 35765K154 for an example of what I am talking
about). A fiberglass tape heater or Kapton heater would work also. With a
contact heater, you can keep the heater temperature just slightly above the
desired temperature of the joint, leaving it there for a few minutes, until
the Araldite has softened. The hot air from a heat gun must be much hotter
than the ultimate temperature of the joint, and it will rapidly overheat the
thin fiberglass/foam sandwich adjacent to the solid fiberglass/epoxy joint,
probably damaging it before the joint can get up to temperature. When the
Araldite has softened, it should be possible to slide a putty knife between
the skin and the rib or spar. The best place to start is at a corner. The
good news (in my experience) is that the glass transition temperature of the
Araldite is lower than that of the laminating resin, so the joint should
soften before the skin delaminates.

For best control of the heating rate, run the heater from a variable
autotransformer (Variac) or a lamp dimmer. Putting a thermocouple between
the heater and the skin lets you know how the heating is progressing. While
I have not tried to separate fiberglass joints this way, I have used this
heating setup to deform the upper "shelf" portion of the fuel tank, as it
was interfering with the wing spar, and preventing rigging of the wings (a
problem with the early XS construction manuals). The temperature range
between hard (too cold) and runny (too hot) for the plastic tank is narrow
enough to require fairly delicate temperature control.

Good luck!

Dave DeFord
N135TD (XS monowheel)

wdaniell(at)etb.net.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Here is what I wrote to Jerry.

Let me say it was very pleasant to have a group of guys rooting for one in
the face of a great disappointment. Only someone who has built one of these
can understand the feeling of having made a significant mistake and having
to go back and correct it.

Thanks to all.

Will

"I have attacked the wing skin. Weapons of choice wood chisel, wood plane
and sanding disk. Thatll teach the bugger! New skins ordered.

No way that I can see of saving the skin or more accurately - might save
the skin but ruin the wing

I thought of making a new top skin (making a polyester mould) but discarded
this idea when I realized that the upper skin changes in construction from
tip to root the root area is considerably stronger.

Two steps forward one (and ) steps back."

Will

asarangan(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

I doubt you will be able to soften the Araldite without deforming the
top skin. I would not try to save the skin, but focus on saving the
bottom mating flange. If you lose that flange, life could get more
difficult. One option is to cut through the top skin, and then grind
away the remaining portion bonded to the flange.

My feeling is that the reinforcement plies can't be all that critical
to warrant compromising the entire integrity of the wing. I would
proceed with the construction and evaluate the options as the projects
gets closer to the end.

I decided a long time ago not to bond the top skin until the aircraft
is almost ready to fly. Bonding the skin does not take a lot of time,
and you never know what you might want to install at the last minute.
It is better to keep the options open as long as possible.

--- William Daniell <wdaniell(at)etb.net.co> wrote:

[quote]
<wdaniell(at)etb.net.co>

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Agreed - now - but too late!
Destruction of top skin started! You are right - I am more comfor4table
with grinding off the top skin than trying to heat release the araldite for
the reasons you give.

However I suspect (now that I know about the construction of the wing skins
in some detail) that the wings skins play an important role in stiffening
the wings and therefore the incidence should be set with the upper skin in
place.

Having said that I have no basis for this whatever.

Will

rogerjohnsheridan(at)yaho
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

I heard a good saying on the radio today:

"Anyone who never made a mistake, never made anything"

Good luck!

Rog S

wdaniell(at)etb.net.co
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Wing skin separation HELP Reply with quote

Thanks - Will

PS maybe I was just dumb enough to confess!