More on the TC vs T&B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: More on the TC vs T&B Reply with quote

In a message dated 6/19/2006 12:59:27 A.M. Central Standard Time,
mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch writes:

There is a picture along with an explanation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_coordinator

Good Morning Mickey,

Thanks for that reference, but don't you think it slides rather rapidly over
some very important points?

It also does not address the problems of using either instrument as the
prime source of information for recovery following a bout with vertigo.

If we are using a turn needle, (T&B) it has nothing about it that even
suggests a
wing or whether or not the aircraft is level. All it does is tell us if the
airplane is yawing. If it isn't yawing, it isn't turning. I think that
indication is MUCH easier for a confused pilot to accept.

Go out someday in an aircraft equipped with a Turn Coordinator and do a nice
strong Knife Edge. Doesn't it seem rather strange to be flying that knife
edge and also be looking at the turn coordinator that is showing a "Wings
Level" indication?

Very Confusing to my old mind!

Do the same maneuver in an airplane equipped with a T&B. The T&B will be
sitting in the center for the same reason the TC was showing wings level.

No turns and no yaw in a properly flown knife edge.

Isn't it a lot easier for even we experienced aviators to accept that
the T&B is doing what it should be doing than it is to accept that the
wings level indication of the TC is proper?

The TC is always compromised. There is no way to determine if it is showing
a roll or a yaw without using supporting information.

If a T&B needle is showing an indication, the aircraft is yawing.

No yaw, no turn.

No turn, no graveyard spiral.

If the aircraft does not turn, it will survive!

Until such time as 'Lectric Bob provides us with a full time, low cost,
autopilot to keep us from making excessive turning maneuvers, I vote for the T&B.

Do Not Archive

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rv8ch

Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: More on the TC vs T&B Reply with quote

BobsV35B(at)... wrote:
Quote:
mick-matronics(at)... writes:

> There is a picture along with an explanation here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_coordinator

Thanks for that reference, but don't you think it slides rather rapidly over
some very important points?

Bob, I agree with you. One nice thing about Wikipedia is that
the articles can be fixed right way, by you and me.

I've already made a small change to the wikipedia article on
the T&B: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_and_bank_indicator

They had a picture of a TC, so I just added a picture of a
T&B. I'd like to update the text. Feel free to send me any
updates or changes you would like to see in either of these
two articles, and I'll be happy to paste them in. You can
do it yourself as well if you like, of course. Takes about
2 minutes to create an account and start editing.

I've read several of your notes on the differences between
the TC and the T&B, and they have helped me a lot. I think
it would be great to get this information out to a wider
audience, and I believe Wikipedia is a good start.

Thanks,
Mickey

--
Mickey Coggins
http://www.rv8.ch/

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Mickey Coggins
http://www.rv8.ch/
BobsV35B(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: More on the TC vs T&B Reply with quote

In a message dated 6/21/2006 8:30:08 A.M. Central Standard Time,
mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch writes:

I've read several of your notes on the differences between
the TC and the T&B, and they have helped me a lot. I think
it would be great to get this information out to a wider
audience, and I believe Wikipedia is a good start.

Good Morning Mickey,

Thanks for the very kind words. I had no idea about how Wikipedia works!

Very Interesting. Definitely worthy of further thought.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Do Not Archive

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours