Float Flyr

Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Location: Campbellton, Newfoundland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

There’s lots of factors that come into play here... one of them is as long as the engine is running the prop is cooling the engine. Stop the prop and the engine will in short order heat soak if there is no air passing over the cooling fins. Another is the amount of cooling by the infusion of cool fuel soaked air on every intake stroke. Aircraft engines tend to be large displacement per HP and slower revving giving more time for heat dissipation and more fuel air mix to cool the interior of the cylinders.... If you care to rev them high enough they will no doubt always detonate of backfire. BTW the walls of air-cooled aircraft engine cylinders are not nearly so massive as other engines so they require a lot less to cool them. Remembering the thin walls of the jugs is a good reason not to over rev or intentionally heat soak your expen$ive engine.

As you say the question is loaded... loading is just another factor in whether or not an engine will detonate. If you can unload the engine you may find the detonation will disappear. Now if you can tell me how to unload and engine while climbing Wink

Noel

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: November 21, 2010 9:36 PM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Engine Shut Down

The autoignition temp of gasoline is just below 500 deg., below that it needs an ignition source. So maybe the answer is that flash point is not autoignition temp.

Noel

Loaded Question: If the flash point of gas is so low, below that of internal CHT why do we not Pre-Ignition all the time?

Barry

0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
Quote:
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Noel Loveys
Kitfox III-A
Aerocet 1100 Floats
Float Flyr

Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Location: Campbellton, Newfoundland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Sorry Barry but I can’t help myself from nit picking Wink

The chemistry of the fuel increases or decreases the flash point... Pressure increases the temperature inside the cylinder directly with the pressure so increasing pressure brings the temperature of the mix closer to the flash point. High octane fuels have a higher flash temperature so are slightly less affected by increase in pressure.

Ethanol has a RON of 116 so to make it burn efficiently auto manufacturers increased the CR ( read pressure in the engine ) and played with the injection mapping and spark timing and then called the whole mess a flex fuel engine. Problem is it will run, after a fashion, on lower octane gas but not nearly as efficiently as it will on higher octane. For those of us stranded with only E-XX fuels (I’m not) It’s not a bad idea but if you can still get gas it won’t run as efficiently as one of the older engines.

Noel