Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First flight... not so good
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Actually, the usual practice is to blur or black out the identifying marks. That would indicate that the plane actually had an N number and that it was deliberately obscured. I can understand that someone might not want to publish the N number prematurely and have no problem with that.
When I saw the photos, my first thought was "How the heck did he walk away from that?" My second thought was "What was he doing flying that plane without proper markings? Was this an 'accidental' first flight?" Blurred out markings would have at least avoided some confusion.

On Jul 15, 2007, at 5:34 PM, raymondj wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "raymondj" <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)>
Greetings Mr. Pitcher,
   When posting doctored images, please anotate them as such to prevent any confusion between them and actual photographs.
   I believe that the "photos" you posted offer definitive proof that a plane (which had an N#) hit a house.

Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "rickpitcher" <zodie(at)adelphia.net (zodie(at)adelphia.net)>
Yeah, I airbrushed the N-numbers off of the tail before posting the pix. No need to identify the owner at this time.  I'm sure it'll all come out in an NTSB review sometime soon.
I'll post more info if something definitive comes up.

-- 
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

do not archive.
amyvega2005(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

on the subject on blacking out or blurring the numbers.... the guys who have questioned it.... need to go back on their meds. Do you understand that some guy just crashed his plane? WHo gives a flying F___ on whether the numbers are blacked out. Forest through the trees guys.
unbelievable.
Juan

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Amen and Amen. I was not offended that the N Number was remove for privacy sake!!!!

Bob Spudis

In a message dated 7/16/2007 1:40:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Afterfxllc(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Guys I for one love to start a good Flame on here from time to time but asking about the N number was just to make sure the plane had been inspected and was legal to fly. Some take their bird into the air before inspection and I was hoping this wasn't one of them. I thank him for the photo's and don't really care that the N number was blocked out. He wasn't trying to hide it he was simply respecting the privacy of the owner, it isn't his place to post the N number that is for the news and the FAA. I think we are missing the bigger picture here.

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

hansriet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

According to the Zenith Air database Paul was flying with a Rotax 912 on board.

steveadams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

I am sorry to see this accident, but am glad the pilot is OK, which is the most important thing. I was interested in how close he was to the airport when the happenned so I pulled up the following photomap http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband/index.php#mvt=s&q1=3441%20Citrine%20Ln,%20Rosamond,%20CA%2093560-6813&trf=0&lon=-118.192549&lat=34.870158&mag=5
It looks like he was only about 2000 feet short of the runway. I don't know if he was in the pattern coming around for landing or had engine problems and was just trying to make the airport, but it does bring up one of my pet peeves. The following are just general comments and I am not in any way casting doubts on the pilot or his preparation in this accident. Most of the time when I fly a pattern I stay within gliding range of the runway, and was very anal about it during test flights. While a long, on the glideslope, power on approach is appropriate for many larger aircraft or in IMC conditions, with these aircraft there is no reason not to be in a position to glide to the runway from most anywhere in the pattern once you get enough altitude. Though problems rarely happen, they are much more likely to happen in the first few flights, so fly them as if you will lose power at any time. Before your first flight, go up and do a bunch of engine out practice, from different locations in the pattern and from altitude, until you can nail it every time. Throughout you initial test flights, get altitude as quickly as you can and never be out of gliding range to the runway. Scout out the area surrounding the airport and have a distinct plan for exactly where you will put it down in the event you lose power before getting enough altitude to make the runway. Don't put the extra burden of having to think about it if it happens, just follow through on what you had already planned. Mechanical problems and fuel problems do happen at a relatively high rate during the initial test flights, but in most cases they shouldn't have to result in bent metal or worse.

Steve Adams
CH640

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: