List getting quiet...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List
mdx400(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: List getting quiet... Reply with quote

Quote:
From: "Randy Visentine" <randyman(at)gmail.com>
To: xdp4000x-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: C910 digital only...
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:13:24 -0600

The list has been quiet lately, no? Our days are numbered.
--
Randy V.

Yeah I suppose so, eh? The C90 and XDP-4000X are getting less popular these
days (and they never really were "popular" to begin with, lol).

I mean I don't have either and I still post to the list but most of the
topic here are based around Sony external DSPs which have long gone the way
of the dinosaur unfortunately. Sad Interestingly Sony HUs today still bear
the following little blurb in their instruction manual:

"This unit cannot be connected toa digital preamplifier or an equalizer
which is Sony BUS system compatible."

As if one day they will make another one that is? LOL.

Another interesting move is that after only 2 years of producing the line,
Sony seems to have cancelled the "Specialty Series" units now as well Sad
Some of the standard ones look okay though. Last year's Specialty Series
model, the CDX-GT805DX was probably among the most advanced normal HUs
Sony's put out in the last decade or so. Nothing spectacular (and nothing
reaching C90/4000X levels) but it was still pretty feature filled, with a
pretty extensive time alignment and 13-band EQ built into it's X-DSP system.
Again nothing to cheer about really but at it's price point and given all
the poor HUs Sony had made from 99-04, at least it was something LOL. I
wonder if they'll bring back the Specialty Series or if it will be abandoned
as well? Strange that they dropped it for 07.

As for what most people are buying these days it seems the Pioneer Premier
DEH-P880PRS is the price/performance choice of many. In it's Pro-Mode it
facilitates bi-amping the fronts since it has an advanced crossover network
built in. Of course Pio still has their top-level DEX-P9 and external
processor but it's still impressive seeing what the 880PRS does all in it's
little package and price point.

Not that I'm personally planning on going anywhere from what I have right
now (I'm quite happy myself), but you do have to admit that despite the
highlights and technological/quality advancements the C90/4000X holds over
many HUs, that gap is seriously narrowed. Certainly a lot of the interest
in units like the C90 (which still seems to command somewhat of a high
price) is reduced by the fact that you can buy other gear (which is more
current and will still do quite a bit for you), for less money.

Roland M.

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?XDP4000X-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours