Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tailcone longeron alignment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Tailcone longeron alignment Reply with quote

On page 10-11 step 1 you clamp the longeron in place.  The apex (corner) of the longeron is flush with both the F1073 side skins and the F1014 aft deck.  Aligning between the longeron and side skin is good but I'm having trouble getting the longeron to align perfectly with the F1014 aft deck.  Towards the center of the aft deck (near where the longeron bend is) is where I start to have the problem.  It is within 1/8" in this area and good on the ends (ends of the aft deck that is).  I can force it a little closer than this (and actually all the way flush) with pretty good force.  My question is: is it absolutely necessary to have it completely flush with the aft deck all the way along it???  Did anybody else have this problem???  If it needs to be completely flush, how much force is OK to use before I have to start bending on the longeron???

Bill Britton
RV-10 tailcone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Tailcone longeron alignment Reply with quote

I checked the measurements and it is only off by 1/16, not 1/8".  The misalignment spans about 7 to 8 inches long and is worst (about 1/16) in the center of the span.  Attached are a couple pictures to help describe my problem.  If it's left this way will it affect the way the top skins line up later, or possibly anything else???

Bill
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

MVC-008S.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.69 KB
 Viewed:  745 Time(s)

MVC-008S.JPG

MVC-009S.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.41 KB
 Viewed:  772 Time(s)

MVC-009S.JPG

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Tailcone longeron alignment Reply with quote

It doesn't look too awful bad. The only thing that makes
it look questionable....and not really too questionable, is
the hole edge distance you'll have when you drill those
rivets into the longerons. If you measure and see the edge
distance is appropriate, then you'll be OK. If it were me,
I'd try to clamp or push it and match drill it when it's lined
up along the edge. But, after now having assembled the tail
I can't see any big reason why your situation would cause anything
too major down the road.
Tim Olson -- RV-10 #40170
Current section: Final Assembly
DO NOT ARCHIVE
Bill and Tami Britton wrote:
[quote] I checked the measurements and it is only off by 1/16, not 1/8". The
misalignment spans about 7 to 8 inches long and is worst (about 1/16) in
the center of the span. Attached are a couple pictures to help describe
my problem. If it's left this way will it affect the way the top skins
line up later, or possibly anything else???

Bill

---

william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Tailcone longeron alignment Reply with quote

I can clamp it and get the straightness required but it takes lots of force
to get it that straight. Will this force be a problem??? I don't like to
put things together under stress, and this would definitely be under some
stress.

Bill

---

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Tailcone longeron alignment Reply with quote

I had the same problem,  mine was less than 1/16 so I just riveted it, I did not put it under a lot of tension to get it closer.

Rene' Felker
Fuselage

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill and Tami Britton
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:01 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Tailcone longeron alignment

I checked the measurements and it is only off by 1/16, not 1/8".  The misalignment spans about 7 to 8 inches long and is worst (about 1/16) in the center of the span.  Attached are a couple pictures to help describe my problem.  If it's left this way will it affect the way the top skins line up later, or possibly anything else???

Bill
[quote]
---

gommone7(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Tailcone longeron alignment Reply with quote

Hi, bill ,Hugo here.if you do not seat flush with the skin I thinks will change the angle of attack of the horizontal stabilizer,the piece cost only 15 box,and shipp.by air is very cheap(look I now the problem Ah-h)
Hugo
[quote]
Date: 2006/02/01 Wed PM 04:00:50 EST
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: Tailcone longeron alignment

I checked the measurements and it is only off by 1/16, not 1/8". The misalignment spans about 7 to 8 inches long and is worst (about 1/16) in the center of the span. Attached are a couple pictures to help describe my problem. If it's left this way will it affect the way the top skins line up later, or possibly anything else???

Bill
---

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Tailcone longeron alignment Reply with quote

I wouldn't put it under a lot of force. Just good pressure so it isn't
flimsy popping out.
Tim

Bill and Tami Britton wrote:
[quote]

I can clamp it and get the straightness required but it takes lots of
force to get it that straight. Will this force be a problem??? I don't
like to put things together under stress, and this would definitely be
under some stress.

Bill

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: