Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aeroquip 666

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Aeroquip 666 Reply with quote

Troy,

I have Aeroquip 666 throughout my fuel system except for some of the plumbing around the fuel pumps/filters. And I'd have it there if I could have figured out how to do it. I agree totally about spring clamps, jubilee clamps, etc. in the fuel system. The stuff I used around the fuel pumps/filters is rubber fuel injection hose and screw clamps and I don't like it, but haven't figured out another solution.

Aeroquip 666 is great stuff but is a bear to work with if you plan to build your own hose from the bits and pieces. The Teflon is stiff and extremely difficult to get over an AN Hose Barb fitting or over the hose barb that is on the end fitting that ACS sells for the hose. I have not tried heating it to see if it will soften, something I just thought about while writing this. That might be an idea for me to try this weekend. All my hose is custom built by some subcontractor ACS uses. They build it to your exact specifications, charge you a heck of a lot for it and if it doesn't fit because you got the specs wrong, well you eat it. Just today I placed a quote request for 4 lengths (10", 11", 16" & 18") of 666-6 with a straight AN-6 fitting on one end and a 90 degree AN-6 fitting on the other.

Another issue is going from your 666-6 hose with (I believe, but don't hold me to this) AN-6 fittings to another size AN-fitting. For instance, I used a long 666-6 hose to run the return back from the firewall fitting to the tank. When I was close to the fuel tank I put in an AN919-6D reducer (3/8" flare to 1/4" flare) and followed it with a short length of 666-4 hose to connect to the AN-816-4D sized fitting (1/4" flare to 1/8" NPT) return fitting on the fuel tank. Though, now I see that there is an AN816-6-2D which will connect a 3/8" flare to a 1/8" NPT. That was not available from ACS a couple years ago when I did my plumbing. Considering what I'd have to go through to remove that length of 666-4, I think it will remain the way it is unless I find it leaks.

The rule of thumb I use for my AN-fitting experiments is the AN-number on the fitting usually signifies the size of the tubing it will connect to in 16 ths of an inch: AN-2 = 2/16" = 1/8", AN-3 = 3/16", AN-4 = 4/16" = 1/4" or AN-6 = 6/16" = 3/8". But this isn't a perfect hard and fast law, I have a small stock of fittings I thought would work, but didn't. Sometimes you just have to buy a couple and see how they fit. At prices from $0.50 to $1.5 each, you can afford to try a couple fitting sizes to see what goes. I make sure I mark examples I purchase with their size so I can refer to them later.

Another excellent source of AN fittings is http://www.anplumbing.com/ from Earls Performance Products. Earl carries a heck of a lot more types and styles of AN fittings, hoses, odds and ends than ACS. They sure seem to be the same quality stuff that ACS sells. Earl also has fittings to go from metric threads to AN fittings.

Anybody else out there have other ideas, suggestions, comments, please chime in.

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: