Rotax Water Temperature.

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Has anyone come across a modification scheme to introduce a water temperature sensor into the 914 engine installation.

regards,

Mike

william(at)wrmills.plus.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Mike,
If you monitor the temp of the expansion tank using a temporary thermocouple taped to the tank and a digital hand held thermometer, you can record the differential temp between the CHT and exit coolant temp. Then you put another max line on your CHT gauge for coolant and the job is done. My exit coolant temp works out at 25 degs C less than the CHT pretty well throughout the range. I understand that doing it this way is an acceptable compliance with the SB and saves another instrument in the panel (unless, of course, you have an all singing all dancing EIS) and more plumbing and wiring etc. If you wish to monitor coolant temp directly all the time, Skydrive sell an insert tube with a sensor for one of the coolant return pipes to the expansion tank, plus gauge etc. Hope that helps.
Best wishes,
William

[quote] ---

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Quote:
My exit coolant temp works out at 25 degs C less than the CHT pretty
well throughout the range.

William,

25°C seems a great temperature difference between the CHT and the
coolant flowing out of the heads. That would mean that even at the 135°C
CHT red line (Rotax 914), your coolant would not exit the the heads
above110°C ? Or flying at 100°C CHT, the coolant would not exceed 75°C ?
All the measurements I did showed a difference on the order of 5°C.
Have you tried checking the two temperature measuring devices in the
same water or oil bath ?

Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. Looks a very elegant solution to the problem. But I think the Skydrive Kit might be a little easier to implement.

regards,

Mike.
[quote] ---

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

William,

Happy New Year. The Skydrive kit looks ideal.

When I pull the engine for Mod 72, I plan to bin the Evans and go back to 50/50 Glycol Mix. With a 2 function Westach Gauge I can avoid anymore instrument holes. At the same time I will fit my cowl flap.

regards,

Mike.

(do not archive)

sidsel.svein(at)oslo.onli
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Mike,

I recently fitted the Skydrive kit, less the reading instrumet because I connected the temp. sender to an available auxiliary input channel in my Grand Rapids EIS. As recommended by Skydrive I installed the temp. sender in the coolant hose from cyl. no. 3 to the common expansion tank on top of the engine. Should be one of the two aft sylinders because they run hotter due to less direct cold air flow. It is tight there, at least on my 912S installation, but if you plan well before you cut the hose it is no problem. I use 50/50 battery water/glycol.

I do not see the merit of measuring the temperature of the coolant in the expansion tank, as this will be a mix of the coolant from all 4 cylinders where the two front ones have significantly lower CHT.

Trust you have the latest revision of the Rotax SB addressing the alarm limit for the coolant temperature.

For those reading this and having used the 4 ring thermocouples delivered by Grand Rapids for CHT: I insulated the visible part of the thermocouples and the attachment bolts and an inch around where installed, using the red high-temperature Locktite sealant. Put on a good, thick blob. It made a noticeable difference in the readings for the two front cylinders, now reading some 15-20 degr C higher than before but still well below the two aft ones. The measuring points are directly in the cold air coming in through the two openings in the cowling. The measuring point in the VDO sender used by Rotax Flydat picks up the temperature deeper in the CH and is therefore not as directly exposed to the cooling air as the thermocouples are.

Regards,
Svein
LN-SKJ

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Svein,

Thanks a lot. Skydrive, Cylinder No 3 it is then.

regards,

Mike

[quote] ---

jodel(at)nildram.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Mike,

I spoke to Andy about the skydrive kit about 6 weeks ago. There is (unbelievably) no standard mod for this and he said that a mod application would be required. Personally I think that it is a ridiculous situation for the PFA to expect us to embody all Rotax SB’s on our engines but to also require us to wait 3months for them to process the mod paperwork AND pay for the privilege!

Simon

Thanks a lot. Skydrive, Cylinder No 3 it is then.

regards,

Mike

[quote]

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Simon,

Now why does that not surprise me. The aims of the PFA???? - beam me up Scotty.

thanks,

MIke

[quote] ---

n914va(at)bvunet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

I think this is where the FAA would like to take us here on the left side of the pond. Thank God we still have the second amendment(unless of course the Democrats get their way). What??....... I didn't say that!!

Vaughn
[quote] ---

william(at)wrmills.plus.c
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Rotax Water Temperature. Reply with quote

Hi Gilles,

I tested the digital thermometer / thermocouple, when I bought it, in
boiling water and, allowing for STP, it is accurate. The CHT is the
standard Rotax sender / VDO gauge and has served me well for 1100 hours, but
I have never tested it for accuracy.

Mine is a Classic so I have the massive rads in the nose, which are about 60
% blanked off in the winter and about 30 % blanked off in the summer to
maintain about 85 to 90 degs C in the cruise. In the early days I ran with
80% glycol and now I run at 50%. I tried the Evans for about 25 hours and
then discarded it because its cooling qualities were so inferior. I have
cowl flaps for increasing the exit area for sustained climbs in hot weather,
which reduce temps by about 10 degs C.

Maybe the heat transfer from coolant to thermocouple by just taping it to
the outside of the tank is not good enough, or perhaps the coolant from the
front pots is reducing the average in the expansion tank by 15 to 20 degs.
Anyway, I have never had problems with high temps, so it is all a bit
academic for my aircraft.

Regards,

William