New AD on Rotax with Evans NPG+

irampil(at)notes.cc.sunys
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: New AD on Rotax with Evans NPG+ Reply with quote

This just in:
A mandatory AD for Stemme motorgliders with Rotax engines

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), which is the Technical Agent for the Member States of the European Community, has issued AD No.: 2006-0311-E, dated October 11, 2006 (referred to after this as "the MCAI''), to correct an unsafe condition for the specified products. The MCAI states that:

During certification works it was found that the cooling liquid EVANS NPG+ is flammable. The liquid cooling circuit of the Stemme S10-VT is not designed to be filled with a flammable liquid without prior modifications. For that reason, this Emergency AD requires the replacement of the EVANS NPG+ cooling liquid. In addition, the operation limit of the cylinder head temperature must be temporary changed to 120[deg]C/248[deg]F.

The full document is at http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/01C75B60A85029028625725E0056DED1?OpenDocument&Highlight=npg+

Ira N224xs [quote][b]

jodel(at)nildram.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: New AD on Rotax with Evans NPG+ Reply with quote

This is not new. We discussed this back in October when it first came out.

Simon

[...]

0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: New AD on Rotax with Evans NPG+ Reply with quote

Quote:
A mandatory AD for Stemme motorgliders with Rotax
engines

effectively banning Evans coolant as it is imflammable !

Simon Smith wrote:

Quote:
This is not new. We discussed this back in October when
it first came out.

I think we have a case of the right hand and the left hand
not knowing about each other as Rotax have just issued (Nov) :

SB-912-043 R2

Which allows Evans almost without limit and makes some
onerous conditions for the use of 50-50 water/antifreeze.
It is mandatory if using 50-50 to have a water temperature
gauge as well as a CHT gauge. However it is only mandatory
to have it done by Dec 2007.

My thinking is that the two authorities will come to some
conclusion one day and that conclusion could be anywhere
from one extreme to the other.

Nor am I sure that whether mandatory applies to an
uncertified engine in a PFA aircraft even though the SB
does mention the 912ULS engine.

My 50-50 is watched very carefully and I have an
undercooling problem rather than an overcooling one so I
plan to wait until the end of the year before I even
consider doing anything about it !

Richard
G-OWWW High Cross

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: New AD on Rotax with Evans NPG+ Reply with quote

Richard,
I agree with you. As long as we can monitor our CHT and Water temp (through
the Skydrive Unit) then there is no problem with the 50/50 coolant.
I have no problem with that as my CHT does not ever get above 95 C.
Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

Ph +64 3 3515166
Mobile 021 0640221
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: New AD on Rotax with Evans NPG+ Reply with quote

<<It is mandatory if using 50-50 to have a water temperature gauge as well

I beg to differ.
The latest SB cross refers to the procedure in the earlier SB that allows
calibration of the CHT against water temp., so that (suitably calibrated and
remarked as necessary) only CHT needs to be monitored.

Duncan McF.

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: New AD on Rotax with Evans NPG+ Reply with quote

Quote:
The latest SB cross refers to the procedure in the earlier SB that
allows calibration of the CHT against water temp., so that (suitably
calibrated and remarked as necessary) only CHT needs to be monitored.
Hi all,

During the flight tests of our project I had arranged to measure
coolant, oil, and charge air temps before and after their respective
coolers. According to the SB, we are "allowed" up to about 127°C head
temperature.We just have to add a red mark on the CHT gauge face.
The 914 CHT temps are easy to maintain well within the 80-120°C green
range whatever the flight conditions.

Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr