Fwd: Alternator Lamp

rowil(at)clara.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

This message was sent to the defunct forum address, so I have forwarded it:

Quote:
From: Timothy.P.Ward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz>
To: <forum(at)europaclub.org.uk>
Subject: Alternator Lamp
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 9:48:33 +1300
Hi all,
Have had the alternator lamp come on during flights recently. On my
last flight I had to eventually save battery power and load shed as
the GPS shut down.
Before delving into the electrical side, of which I am no expert,
has anyone else had problems with their alternator/regulator? I have
used the exact wiring diagram Europa supplied for my Classic
monowheel. Engine has only 50hrs on it. First started when we had
cold weather. However I did have a problem with the battery +ve
connection which has been rectified. Any thoughts? Will check all
connections?
Cheers,
Tim

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson (retiring) Europa Club Membership Secretary - email for info!
| Europa 435 G-ROWI (750 hours building) PFA #16532
| e-mail <memsec(at)europaclub.org.uk> website <www.europaclub.org.uk>

SPurpura(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

CHECK YOUR REGULATOR WITH AN OHM METER,MINE WENT BAD AT 100 HRS.

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

Quote:
> Have had the alternator lamp come on during flights
> recently. On my last flight I had to eventually save
> battery power and load shed as the GPS shut down.
> Before delving into the electrical side, of which I
> am no expert, has anyone else had problems with their
> alternator/regulator? I have used the exact wiring
> diagram Europa supplied for my Classic monowheel.
> Engine has only 50hrs on it. First started when we
> had cold weather. However I did have a problem with
> the battery +ve connection which has been rectified.
> Any thoughts? Will check all connections? Cheers,

Tim

I assume it is a complete failure ? I have an intermittent
failure to charge ! I am sure it is a dry solder joint
somewhere inside the regulator which costs 150 and has
components worth 10 in it (max !)

If yours is a permanent failure it is much easier to diagnose.

You need to take the orange connector off the regulator
and add some small capacity wires into the faston
connectors - being careful not to leave any shorts. use
the orange connector with its existing wires as away of
keeping the additional wires in place.

Then connect up your voltmeter and stand back - staring
the engine.

First but the voltmeter in AC volts mode across the GG
terminals (the cables to the engine).

It should read 14 tick over - 30 ish at high revs. If not
- then the problem is the stator

The change to the B+ terminal and to earth. WHen the
engine is running is that at 12.5 volts DC (if so then it
is the regulator, if it is at 14 volts then the problem is
further towards your "alternator" switch.

Keep moving that way until you find where the break is.

Health and Safety. Propellors are dangerous !

if you are not exactly clear about what I am describing -
ask me again direct and I will make a bigger effort Smile Do
not let any of the temporary wire short to anything !

you will need to charge the battery up to get the engine
to start, and if it continues to not charge then you will
have to keep charging up the battery.

Or come up and discuss it when you next "drop" into town Smile

HTH

Richard Holder

gdh(at)isp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

Sam,
What regulator did you use as a replacement?
Thanks,
Dale

SPurpura(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

A DUCATI FROM LOCKWOOD.

europabill(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

Sorry,

Forgot to attach the URL.....

If you can read German, here's some interesting info from Ducati on the
regulator. Also has some schematics and a cross reference for the TP154E
thryristor (2N6507).

http://www.ducati.dk/teknik/MC_Elektro.pdf
Bill
A010 Classic Monowheel

europabill(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

If you can read German, here's some interesting info from Ducati on the
regulator. Also has some schematics and a cross reference for the TP154E
thryristor (2N6507).

Bill
A010 Classic Monowheel

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

Bill Henderson a crit :

Quote:
Sorry,

Forgot to attach the URL.....

If you can read German, here's some interesting info from Ducati on the
regulator. Also has some schematics and a cross reference for the TP154E
thryristor (2N6507).

http://www.ducati.dk/teknik/MC_Elektro.pdf

Bill,

Interesting find.
Unfortunately, it's not German, but Danish Wink
Much harder to translate.
The schematic is not quite that of our rotax regulator. But it has some
similarities.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

Bill,
Must be a skandinavian language. German, Dutch, English, French, OK but
that's all I can read and understand.
Karel Vranken

Horizonspace(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

The latest Rotax Installation article by Phil Lockwood explains the Rotax
912 electrical system including the operation of the alternator lamp. You can
find it at the following link:

_http://www.sportpilot.org/magazine/feature/2005%20-%2012%20December%20-%20Tip
s%20and%20Tricks%20for%20Ideal%20Rotax%20912%20Installation.pdf_
(http://www.sportpilot.org/magazine/feature/2005%20-%2012%20December%20-%20Tips%20and%20Tri
cks%20for%20Ideal%20Rotax%20912%20Installation.pdf)

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Fwd: Alternator Lamp Reply with quote

I could not find the article using that long string of URL . I found this worked.
www.sportpilot.org/magazine/feature/

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020