CS Prop plus SD20

VE3LVO(at)rac.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: CS Prop plus SD20 Reply with quote

Cheers,
First, a very Happy Christmas to those who still celebrate the
event - and a bright new unused 2007 for your success!

Down to business - I may have asked before but cannot remember - a
daily event:
I plan on adding a B&C SD20 alternator to the 914, which is destined
to receive a Woodcomp CS prop through the same driveshaft area, and wish to
avoid any interference to either.
Is there someone in similar circumstances who might advise me, yea
or nay?
Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: CS Prop plus SD20 Reply with quote

Quote:
I plan on adding a B&C SD20 alternator to the 914, which is destined
to receive a Woodcomp CS prop through the same driveshaft area, and wish to
avoid any interference to either.
Is there someone in similar circumstances who might advise me, yea
or nay?

Fergus,

It seems that the 914 drive doesn't spin fast enough for the SD20 to
produce the rated power.
How about leaving the prop governor on the top pick-up pad, and
installing the alternator at the rear of the engine, like in

http://contrails.free.fr/elec_second_alternateur.php ?

The Europa certainly has enough room below the cowl, since the original
idea came from Europa builders Jim Butcher and Jim Nelson.

Season's greetings
Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: CS Prop plus SD20 Reply with quote

Fergus
I think Gilles idea is best, Jim Nelson did this years ago but he sold
his Florida Europa. Bob Berube might help you? You could use a Nipodenso
alternator, I suspect that's what B&C do anyway.
may the world be gentle in 2007.
Graham

Fergus Kyle wrote:

Quote:
I plan on adding a B&C SD20 alternator to the 914, which is destined
to receive a Woodcomp CS prop through the same driveshaft area, and wish to
avoid any interference to either.
Is there someone in similar circumstances who might advise me, yea
or nay?
Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: CS Prop plus SD20 Reply with quote

Hi! Deleted Fergs message
but why not use Mark Burtons controller ?
regards
Bob Harrison in Lapland.
Quote:
> I plan on adding a B&C SD20 alternator to the 914, which is destined

> to receive a Woodcomp CS prop through the same driveshaft area, and wish
> avoid any interference to either.
> Is there someone in similar circumstances who might advise me,
yea
> or nay?

Fergus,

It seems that the 914 drive doesn't spin fast enough for the SD20 to
produce the rated power.
How about leaving the prop governor on the top pick-up pad, and
installing the alternator at the rear of the engine, like in

http://contrails.free.fr/elec_second_alternateur.php ?

The Europa certainly has enough room below the cowl, since the original

Quote:
idea came from Europa builders Jim Butcher and Jim Nelson.

Season's greetings
Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

Tiscali Broadband only 9.99 a month for your first 3 months!