Cracked aluminum plate on 912S muffler

irampil(at)notes.cc.sunys
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Cracked aluminum plate on 912S muffler Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I just completed my annual condition inspection of N224XS

I discover that the aluminum plate strapped atop the muffler was cracked
bilaterally just inside its retaining straps starting forward and extending
backward. I stop drilled them.

Last year it was the muffler that cracked in several places in or near the down-
pipe sockets. No problems there this year.

Has anyone else seen this? Since there are no apparent structural pressures
on this piece of aluminum, the cracks maybe related to thermal stress, i.e.,
different coefficient of expansion of plate vs muffler to which it is bound.

I just hate cracks in aircraft!

Any thoughts?

Ira N224XS [quote][b]

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Cracked aluminum plate on 912S muffler Reply with quote

I had significant cracking on mine such that I had to replace it. A new plate and clamps cost me about £30 including postage. When I received the new one I noticed it had sharp edges and corners. I have rounded these to help stop further cracking. However I suspect that it really needs a plate made of stainless steel to cope with the heat.

Nigel Charles

I just completed my annual condition inspection of N224XS

I discover that the aluminum plate strapped atop the muffler was cracked
bilaterally just inside its retaining straps starting forward and extending
backward. I stop drilled them.

Last year it was the muffler that cracked in several places in or near the down-
pipe sockets. No problems there this year.

Has anyone else seen this? Since there are no apparent structural pressures
on this piece of aluminum, the cracks maybe related to thermal stress, i.e.,
different coefficient of expansion of plate vs muffler to which it is bound.

I just hate cracks in aircraft!

Any thoughts?

Ira N224XS [quote]        -- Please Support Your Lists This Month --           (And Get Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)   November is the Annual List Fund Raiser.  Click on   the Contribution link below to find out more about   this year's Terrific Free Incentive Gifts provided   by:     * AeroElectric www.aeroelectric.com     * The Builder's Bookstore www.buildersbooks.com     * Aeroware Enterprises www.kitlog.com     * HomebuiltHELP www.homebuilthelp.com   List Contribution Web Site   --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution   Thank you for your generous support!                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.          - The Europa-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List [b]

willie.harrison(at)tinyon
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Cracked aluminum plate on 912S muffler Reply with quote

Had the same problem. When I replaced the heat shield plate I left one side of the big fixing clips just a little bit loose so that the plate can expand and contract relative to the muffler without having to go into tension forces. 50 hours on there is no sign of the cracks returning. By the way, I also wire locked the screws on the fixing clips so they stay just as I want them.
Willie Harrison (G-BZNY)

On 18 Dec 2006, at 20:22, irampil(at)notes.cc.sunysb.edu (irampil(at)notes.cc.sunysb.edu) wrote:
[quote]
Greetings All,

I just completed my annual condition inspection of N224XS

I discover that the aluminum plate strapped atop the muffler was cracked
bilaterally just inside its retaining straps starting forward and extending
backward.  I stop drilled them.

Last year it was the muffler that cracked in several places in or near the down-
pipe sockets. No problems there this year.

Has anyone else seen this?  Since there are no apparent structural pressures
on this piece of aluminum,  the cracks maybe related to thermal stress, i.e.,
different coefficient of expansion of plate vs muffler to which it is bound.

I just hate cracks in aircraft!

Any thoughts?

Ira  N224XS
Quote:

href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.com
href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
href="http://www.kitlog.com">www.kitlog.com
href="http://www.homebuilthelp.com">www.homebuilthelp.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

[b]

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Cracked aluminum plate on 912S muffler Reply with quote

Ira and Nigel,

I, too, have had two aluminum plates crack. The last was replaced with a thin, stainless one, of my own manufacture (beat it out of a piece of unused firewall material). No problems, so far...

Jeff - Baby Blue
247 hrs

nigel charles wrote: [quote] <![endif]--> Clean Clean DocumentEmail MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} <![endif]-->
[...]

0
Quote:
1
Quote: