Garmin GNS430 Nav board repaired twice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
andre.beusch(at)bluewin.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Garmin GNS430 Nav board repaired twice Reply with quote

I have a Garmin GNS430 in my Glasair Super II.
The comm is connected to a dipole antenna in the vertical stabilizer,
the nav is connected directly (no splitter) to the dipole antenna in the
horizontal stabilizer.
Both are the antennas that were provided by Stoddard Hamilton, the kit
manufacturer, and were installed as per the instruction manual. The
antennas perform well.
Both times, the VOR/LOC lost 30 dB of sensitivity, apparently the input
stage was destroyed.
The first repair cost me about $1000, the second was warranty.
I wonder if someone had this problem with any kind of nav receiver.
Garmin said that it could have been overloaded by the comm transmission
because the antennas are to close to each other.
(they don't say anything about this in the installation manual)
Many people use a splitter for NAV/glideslope, so their receiver gets
less signal and would perhaps not be exposed to this problem.
As an electronics engineer, I'd like to understand this and will make a
measurement of the power that actually gets in the Nav receiver. I have
a 250 MHz oscilloscope for that.
This nav receiver should pass RTCA DO-196, if someone has these
documents handy, I'd be interested to see what the damage input power
should be.
I also consider putting a 6dB attenuator or an RF limitter on the Nav
antenna input.

Any opinions?

Thanks, --Andre Beusch

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Back to top
j.rippengal(at)cytanet.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Garmin GNS430 Nav board repaired twice Reply with quote

Bite the bullet Andre and change the position of the Nav antenna.
John

From: "André Beusch"

<andre.beusch(at)bluewin.ch>
[...]

deruiteraircraftservices(
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Garmin GNS430 Nav board repaired twice Reply with quote

Hi,
FWIW, there's a section in the GNS 530 manual about the location of the comm
antenna because of it's power output. It transmits at 16W. Perhaps you can
have a look at a updated manual for the 430.

Marcel

---

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Back to top
bakerocb

Location: FAIRFAX VA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Garmin GNS430 Nav board repaired twice Reply with quote

12/12/2006

Hello Andre, I am trying to better understand your antenna connections.

You wrote: "The comm is connected to a dipole antenna in the vertical
stabilizer,
the nav is connected directly (no splitter) to the dipole antenna in the
horizontal stabilizer."

The GNS 430 box has two separate inputs for VHF nav and glide slope. As you
say this is frequently done by using one VHF nav antenna and then splitting
that input just before it enters the GNS 430 box.

When you say that your nav is connected directly (no splitter) to the
antenna does that mean that you are also feeding the glide slope input
directly from some separate glide slope antenna?

What is the status of the unit now? You have it back repaired and are not
using it for concern over damaging it again with comm transmissions or ---?

Comant industries has a wide array of couplers that you might consider using
to combine and or split inputs to your GNS 430 from nav / glide slope
antennas in order to protect the input stages from excessive comm
transmission inputs.

http://www.comant.com/home.cgi?ua=sgroup&crit=Couplers/Diplexers/Combiners

OC

Quote:
Time: 01:45:56 PM PST US
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Beusch?= <andre.beusch(at)bluewin.ch>
Subject: Garmin GNS430 Nav board repaired twice
[...]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Garmin GNS430 Nav board repaired twice Reply with quote

Andre,
Remembering that transistors can be destroyed in microseconds with
overvoltages you should be thinking in terms of peak rather than RMS
voltages. Moreover measuring the voltge using a 50 ohm termination neglects
the most likely possibility that there is a standing wave on that line and
the termination looking into the NAV receiver is nothing like 50 ohms at the
comms frequency.

I repeat, change the antenna position; it should be easy enough with a
plastic aeroplane. Unless of course you want to make a case against Garmin
and recover your outrageous repair bill.

John

From: "André Beusch"

Quote:

<andre.beusch(at)bluewin.ch>

> When you say that your nav is connected directly (no splitter) to the
> antenna does that mean that you are also feeding the glide slope input
> directly from some separate glide slope antenna?
Yes, one antenna for VOR in the horizontal stabilizer, and one for the GS,
on the floor behind the
baggage compartment.

> What is the status of the unit now? You have it back repaired and are not
> using it for concern over damaging it again with comm transmissions
> or ---?
I have disconnected the VOR antenna. I will install either a 6 dB
attenuator or an rf limiter and hope it will not happen again.

I have now measured the voltage across a 50 Ohms terminator at the VOR
antenna connector when transmitting with the GNS430 com (no modulation).

The maximum measured voltage in the com frequency range was about 3.5 Vpp
(at 123 MHz), which equals to 1.24 Vrms.
That is 14.9 dBm, at 50 Ohms a power of 31mW.
The peak power at 70 % modulation would be 87 mW. (19.4 dBm)

I don't know the spec of the GNS430 nav receiver, but IMO, this level
should not be destructive.

--Andre

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours