First Flight

astills(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

A note to all that N625AZ flew for the first time Tues 11/28/06. At 10:34 AM
local from KGEU (Glendale Ariz) at the extermely capable hands of
Bob Lindsay. First take off was approx 500 ft, climb was normal. Bob took
the plane to 3500 ft over the airport and flew for 45 mins before landing
to a highly excited builder. All flight was normal, the Jabiru engine ran
flawlessly. The plane flew straight and level with no trim imputs at all.
Stalls
were straight and level with no bad tendencies.
At 4:00 PM the plane flew for it's second flight of about 30 mins to expand
the flight envelope a little with 60Deg bank and 2 G turns. All was normal
and successful. Tomorrow I'll take up with Bob and fly myself for the first
time. (If I can get any sleep tonight).

Al Stills
N625AZ

DuaneFamly(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Congratulations Al,

It must feel great having all that work behind you. Which landing gear did you go with? Do you have a weight for your bird?

I am just starting to see how my Jab3300A fits onto mine with conventional gear. I would like to get mine airborne this summer but too many Honey-Do's keep getting in the way.

Have fun flying off the 40 hours.

Mike Duane
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru 3300A

astills(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Mike,
N625AZ is a conventional tri gear. It weighs in at 953 lbs. The Jab 3300 ran perfictly, using a Jab 60X48 prop. Take off RPM was 2650.
Quite a few mods installed. Looking foreward to tomorrow!
Al Stills
N625AZ
[quote] --

jeff(at)rmmm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Congrats Al!
Now you will be finding out what a great plane you've been building all
this time. I still get amazed how easy it flies and handles every time
I take her up. Prepare to be impressed and smile a lot.
Regards,
Jeff
A258 N128LJ / Gold Rush

On Nov 28, 2006, at 9:32 PM, AlStills wrote:

[...]

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Hi! Alan
Congratulations! I'm impressed to manage such long initial flights
without needing to tweek the cooling. Be sure to do the head re-torque
and valve reset (unless they are hydraulic) at no more than 5 hours,
then repeat every 5 hours to 25.
You obviously had much better back up with the combination than I did.
What were the ambient conditions?
Regards
BOB HARRISON G-PTAG (in process of changing to 914 Rotax)

astills(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Bob,
Ambient temps were approx 55 degs F for first flight and 65 degs F for
second flight. Jabiru has come a long ways since you started flying your
plane especially
in the cowl design from Andy Sylvester at Suncoast Sportplanes. Light winds
and broken overcast.
Al Stills

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: First flight Reply with quote

Good job Al, congratulations; enjoy your own first flight in your Europa;
Best regards
Remi
F-PGKL
A note to all that N625AZ flew for the first time Tues 11/28/06. At 10:34 AM
local from KGEU (Glendale Ariz) at the extermely capable hands of

karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Congratulations Al, now real fun starts and gives a happy feeling.
Karel Vranken.

garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Bob Harrison wrote................

" Be sure to do the head re-torque
Quote:
and valve reset (unless they are hydraulic) at no more than 5 hours,
then repeat every 5 hours to 25.

I would like to remind all Rotax drivers to periodically check the torque on
the head bolts of their engines. This past weekend I sprang a major
in-flight oil leak necessitating an emergency landing. Oil was gushing from
between the head and the cylinder. Upon landing I checked the head bolts on
that cylinder and found two of the four to be less than finger loose. After
tightening them up, I checked all the other cylinders too, and found 3 of
the remaining 12 bolts to be slightly loose. All should be torqued to 200
inch pounds. For reference purposes, my 914 engine is 7 year old with
almost 500 hours on it.........and I never checked the head bolt torque
before.

Garry Stout
N4220S A060 TriGear

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Thanks for the "heads up" on this Garry.
I hope the Rotax heads are not prone to warping too !
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG

Robt.C.Harrison

Do not archive.

96victor(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Congratulations Al

Do you have Bob Linsay's phone #? My Jab/Airmaster XS mono is getting close to cutting the bonds.

Tom Friedland N96V Ellensburg WA

On 11/28/06, AlStills <astills(at)cox.net (astills(at)cox.net)> wrote: [quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: "AlStills" <astills(at)cox.net (astills(at)cox.net)>

A note to all that N625AZ flew for the first time Tues 11/28/06. At 10:34 AM
local from KGEU (Glendale Ariz) at the extermely capable hands of
Bob Lindsay. First take off was approx 500 ft, climb was normal. Bob took
the plane to 3500 ft over the airport and flew for 45 mins before landing
to a highly excited builder. All flight was normal, the Jabiru engine ran
flawlessly. The plane flew straight and level with no trim imputs at all.
Stalls
were straight and level with no bad tendencies.
At 4:00 PM the plane flew for it's second flight of about 30 mins to expand
the flight envelope a little with 60Deg bank and 2 G turns. All was normal

astills(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Tom,
Bob Lindsay
1117 Isabella
Coronado CA 92118
619/435-1088
Quite a pilot, and very versital in the Europa. Couldn't ask for a better test pilot.
Al Stills'
N625AZ
[quote] -----Original Message-----
[...]

href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.com
href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
href="http://www.kitlog.com">www.kitlog.com
href="http://www.homebuilthelp.com">www.homebuilthelp.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/chref="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matron

[b]

astills(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

A little note to all on further flights on N625AZ.
I've put approximately 5 flight hours on the plane with 3.5 hrs of dual with
Bob Lindsay to meet Insurance requirements. All I can say is !!!What a
plane!!!.
The stalls are straight foreword with a left wing drop in the dirty
configuration, easily caught with right rudder but something to pay
attention to. So far have been able
to catch in about 150 ft. With practice should be able to catch in 50 ft.
This is not your old Cessna ! The Jabiru engine has powered the flight
perfectly. The engine
temps have been controllable and are getting better as the engine brakes in.
Sink rate at flair on landing is a bit more than the heavier Cirrus but
again, practice will make perfect
when it come to landing. This little bird can really handle crosswind
landing as demonstrated Wednesday with 90 Deg crosswinds (at) 16 Kts gusting to
25 Kts. Quite
a sight picture looking out front while landing and yawed to almost 60 Degs
off the runway coming in. Kick out to land and it makes you look like a pro!
(The pro Bob
Lindsay was flying). Haven't pushed the climb rate yet as having to keep the
temps in line but 500 Ft per min is very easy and a good target on brake in.
Demonstrated
VNE with 3 G on the frame with no adverse reaction at all. Steep turns are
like on a rail. I think easier to hold than the bigger planes. Power on
stalls get you the
Europa bobble so plenty of warning and easily controllable.
I'll post a little more for those installing Jabiru's after I get some hours
on it. Pay attention to cooling air before getting into air. A good baffling
in the RAM air ducts is a must.
The airmaster will not handle the temps during brake in. ( at least in
mine), so borrowed a Jabiru 60 X 48 climb prop for brake in. Max RPM so far
has been 2850 RPM with 2650
at take off. The only problem I've had is a piece of matter through the carb
to cause a jolt to the engine. Landed and took some building matter out of
the gascolater that
had been shook up during the trials. I did change the fuel system over to
the same as Steve Hager with the 2 filters (I used 2" filters) in a parallel
system so there is one working
should one get plugged up. So far just little matter in the filters.
Al Stills
N625AZ

DanBish

Joined: 24 May 2006
Location: TUCSON, AZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Al,

Way to go man! Can't wait to see her in action. Will try to get up there sometime this month if you're going be around. I'll call soon.

Dan
Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

astills(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Dan
Any time, Call when you can
Al Stills