explosion proof fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
sarg314(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

An exhaust fan on a home made paint booth has the potential to spark an
explosion if you get the right mixture range of a flammable solvent in
the air and some sparks.

However, virtually all consumer fans use brushless AC motors (don't
they?). And, with the fan mounted right on the motor shaft, there's no
belt to generate static (though I guess there are other ways to generate
static). So, is such a fan suitable to use to exhaust a paint booth?

Also, Does any one have any idea of what fan capacity is needed for an
RV-sized paint booth?

--
Tom S., RV-6A

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
larry(at)macsmachine.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Tom,
If you were talking hi VOC paints, the fans would have to be looked at
very closely. In the case of AFS paints, there is no fire hazard. On
the question of fan capacity, I found two 20 x 20 inch household fans
more than adequate. You can put furnace filters in front of them that
have a #600 rating by 3M that will stop any color from going to the
other side. How much capacity depends largely on the volume of spray
and how much of the plane you intend to spray at one time. I'm painting
in the basic disassembed state, so the capacity only requires the
filters get changed out 5 or 6 times during the whole operation. If you
were to paint the whole plane at one time, I'd think you'd need 4 fans
going all at the same time and 8 good filters at the inlet end, tho I'd
not recommend trying such a large scope of painting if you're new to the
task. It's a lot different than doing a car.
I have a painting page if you're interested in an inside booth design.
http://www.macsmachine.com/html/paint.htm

Regards,
Larry McFarland - 601HDS at 85 hours and just about done painting.

sarg314 wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

LarryMcFarland wrote:

Quote:

<larry(at)macsmachine.com>

Tom,
If you were talking hi VOC paints, the fans would have to be looked at
very closely. In the case of AFS paints, there is no fire hazard.

Larry:
I know what a VOC is, but what's an AFS paint?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rhdudley1(at)bellsouth.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Tom,
I took my "box fans'' apart and found that they were brushless. Thus,
there should not be a concern about igniting solvent vapors.
Richard Dudley

sarg314 wrote:

Quote:

An exhaust fan on a home made paint booth has the potential to spark
an explosion if you get the right mixture range of a flammable solvent
in the air and some sparks.
However, virtually all consumer fans use brushless AC motors (don't
they?). And, with the fan mounted right on the motor shaft, there's
no belt to generate static (though I guess there are other ways to
generate static). So, is such a fan suitable to use to exhaust a
paint booth?

Also, Does any one have any idea of what fan capacity is needed for an
RV-sized paint booth?

--
Tom S., RV-6A

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
retasker(at)optonline.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

AFS paint is a water based polyurethane paint. See
http://www.stewartshangar21.aero/AFS.htm Click on "Stewart Systems" to
the left of the page.

Good paint, no hazardous fumes.

Dick Tasker

sarg314 wrote:

Quote:
Larry:
I know what a VOC is, but what's an AFS paint?

--
Please Note:
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however,

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
retasker(at)optonline.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

While you are correct about the brushless aspect, there can still be a
concern about igniting solvent vapors. If some part of the motor
reaches the flash temperature of the vapor in question, you can ignite
the vapor. Flammable vapors do NOT always need an open flame or spark
to ignite! Be careful!

Dick Tasker

Richard Dudley wrote:

Quote:

<rhdudley1(at)bellsouth.net>

--
Please Note:
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however,
that a significant number of electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
larry(at)macsmachine.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Tom,
Aircraft Finishing Systems has a water thinned urethane paint that is
popular among the homebuilt aircraft community. It was
designed to satisfy EPA requirements, is nearly odor free, fireproof and
has a better safety record than regular paints.
http://www.stewartshangar21.aero/AFS.htm

Larry McFarland

sarg314 wrote:

Quote:

LarryMcFarland wrote:

> <larry(at)macsmachine.com>
>
> Tom,
> If you were talking hi VOC paints, the fans would have to be looked
> at very closely. In the case of AFS paints, there is no fire hazard.
Larry:
I know what a VOC is, but what's an AFS paint?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rparigor(at)SUFFOLK.LIB.N
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Hello Tom

"So, is such a fan suitable to use to exhaust a paint booth? Also, Does
any one have any idea of what fan capacity is needed for an RV-sized
paint booth?"

I can tell you what I am doing, perhaps it will help.

I sewed up a 10 foot long, 8 foot wide and 6.5 foot tall paint booth made
out of PVC clear plastic on the top and sides, and thick Visqueen on the
bottom.

On the small door of our rented hangar, I mounted an attic fan, one of
those with mushroom dome. Sorry i don't know CFM, got it from a neighbor
and it was new. If you took a look at Home Depot offerings, and went half
way between normal stocked offerings, you would be pretty close. Then I
made a 1x2" frame around it that is the precise size of furnace filters,
think they are 24 x 30 or 24 x32, just stock Home Depot stock. I have
Velcro attached to the 1x2s and have an opening in the tent that precise
size with velcro on it.

The fan is brushless AC and had a thermostat, I bypassed thermostat.
Pretty unscientific, but I had concerns of explosion, and did a bit of
fooling trying to get some propane to get set off by fan. I have a
reasonable amount of experience building Hot Air balloon burners, and
making a pilot light that is reasonable easy to light, and will not very
easily get blown out has given a pretty good insight on what and how to
set off a mixture. Anyway I was unsuccessful to get it to set off an
explosive mixture. My plastic creating static is of more concern. Even if
it did get set off by motor, I put an expanded metal screen over hole in
door (also critter protection) that in conjunction with filter, I am
pretty confident it would act as a flame arrestor if the fan did in fact
set off a mixture.

OK back to design, I have three 10 foot aluminium tubes supported by
florescent fixture large link chains. Now the entire side opposite the
exit is velcroed in place, I figured if it works well, which it does I can
add a section to house the entire large parts of my Europa.

The end has a 7 foot wide, 6 foot high piece of quilt (or pillow) style
white woven fill. There are 2 densities sold at most fabric stores, I used
the heavier. I sewed up a transition from this huge size "Pseudo Filter"
to a 30" round that I put over my 30" floor stand 3 speed Home Depot fan.
I need to keep it on low, and choke off ~ 1/2 of the wire mesh of the 30"
fan or else it will blow out the seams with way too much pressure. This
area of fan is under suction, so i just put a piece of visqueen to act as
a choke, it stays put till fan is turned off.

The center aluminium thin tubes can hold up perhaps 25 pounds with no
pressure inside, and probably a hundred with pressure.

Works great, rolls up into a 10 foot high Q-Tip bout a foot in diameter
when not in use.

If you keep mixture too lean, it will not ignite. It takes not much time
to rid tent of fumes.

I have far more concern, not of attic fan, or static, but I put 2 dual 500
watt quartz halogen floor stand Home depot lights inside the tent with me.
If I were to turn around and spray paint direct into the lamps, think
would be a nice blowtorchin going on or if tent was filled, worst.

If you were to spill solvent on floor, and lamp fell onto it same effect.

I am comfortable enough with my setup. Have always another person around,
and a smother the painter on fire blanket around.

Side note, we built a 10 foot by 20 foot tent to build plane in. To heat,
we use a 150,000 kerosene heater. It is a torpedo design but uses a Becket
burner. To get clean air into tent, made a heat exchanger. We use a
2000CFM squirrel cage blower to pull fresh air from outside through a thin
wall aluminium expandable hose, through a electrostatic filter, then it is
wound inside a stove pipe connected to heater. Works great.

Anyway as far as painting, if it is a bit cold inside hangar, I can plumb
this clean heat to 30" floor stand intake, warms things right up.

BTW since there is so much surface area of my large filter, airspeed is
very slow through most of tent.

Ron Parigoris

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
echristley(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

sarg314 wrote:

Quote:

An exhaust fan on a home made paint booth has the potential to spark
an explosion if you get the right mixture range of a flammable solvent
in the air and some sparks.
However, virtually all consumer fans use brushless AC motors (don't
they?). And, with the fan mounted right on the motor shaft, there's
no belt to generate static (though I guess there are other ways to
generate static). So, is such a fan suitable to use to exhaust a
paint booth?

Also, Does any one have any idea of what fan capacity is needed for an
RV-sized paint booth?

I used a rather large computer fan, about an 8" square. There several
ways to attack the problem.

-use a paint system that doesn't burn
-push a lot of air through the booth to move the VOC out
-don't use as much paint so that the VOCs have time to move

Some people have given you recommendations for VOCless paints. I
avoided these. I heard unfounded rumours that they don't hold up
(unfounded rumours that I'm now propogating without foundation).

Others have given you pointers to building a paint booth that will flow
more than sufficient air to move the VOCs out before they build to
explosive concentrations, but this required building more support
"stuff" than I wanted to invest in.

The route I chose was the $50 Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer. This thing
is pathetic with house paint. By the time you get the paint thin enough
to go through the sprayer, it is to thin to cover. But that is just not
so with PolySpray or PolyTone. The sprayer is amazing with this thin
paint. So far, I've painted my belly and control surface fabrics, as
well as a frieds Dart ultralight. I asked our builder's group for
estimates on how much paint to buy before starting, and found myself
asking, "Where did they put all that paint?" when I was done. The true
story was told by how much paint was NOT on the booth walls and floor.
Even the exhaust fan only had a slight coloration from the paint. Simply
put, the sprayer puts the paint on the airplane instead of making a
mist. Considering how poor a painter I am, and how much I hate it, the
finish job is nothing short of stunning.

Less paint sprayed means less VOCs, means smaller airflow requirements.
Less paint sprayed also means less $70/gal paint bought, but we're
building airplanes here, so nobody really cares about that, do they?

--
,|"|"|, Ernest Christley |
----===<{{(oQo)}}>===---- Dyke Delta Builder |

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Eric M. Jones

Location: Massachusetts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

One of the wonders of internet search engines is what you CAN'T find. This is frequently as valuable as what you CAN find.

In the case of paint booth explosions, there doesn't seem much to find--even with the guys with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth and a barrel of parts solvent at the elbow.

The long and short of it is --Be careful, but don't be crazy about it. Pilots should be able to evaluate risk based on understanding and experience in ALL areas of their life.

OT: Great old Car Talk tale about a guy who used a vacuum cleaner to suck the dirt out of his spark plug wells after taking out the plugs. Question: "How long was it before his widow remarried?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
larry(at)macsmachine.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

I agree,
An explosive atmosphere has to be just right sometimes. I remember
working after school in Smokey’s body shop sanding cars. He’d paint a
car each day, usually with lacquer at that time. The open furnace
setting on the floor would heat that old block building and Smokey would
have a handkerchief and a cigarette in the left hand while spraying with
the right. The atmosphere was positively thick, and he’d rush out
coughing, take a drag from the cigarette, curse the cigarette and then
put the hanky over his face and run back in to continue. I doubt Smokey
is around any more, but his was not the way to set up painting.

We had a multi-$M flash fire in an automated spray booth at
International Harvester some years later that nearly killed a lady
foreman. A small electric spark ignited a leaking thinner hose that
flushed out the electrostatic spray nozzles. Neither of these gained any
traction in the newspapers, but there is good reason to exercise
caution, not in a casual way, but with positive thought and deliberate
planning.

I paint with AFS paints because there is no fire hazard, little odor and
the distilled water as thinner evaporates the same as VOC thinners.
Durability is determined by how well you wash, etch and clean before
priming. If you do it right, the primer is positively as tough as any
other. If you do it wrong, I’m sure it would peel the same as the other
paints. My Saturn is painted with a water-thinned paint, as are some
commercial jet aircraft.

Respectfully,

Larry McFarland
do not archive

Eric M. Jones wrote:

Quote:

One of the wonders of internet search engines is what you CAN'T find. This is frequently as valuable as what you CAN find.
--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
N1DeltaWhiskey(at)comcast
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Tom,

Have you considered taking the fan out of the equation?

I wouldn't consider an electrical device to be safe in a volatiles laden
atmosphere unless it is UL Listed or FM Approved as "intrinsically safe" in
accordance with the National Electrical Code. As already related, paint
booth explosions do occur - the company I work for (or its insuring
predecessors) probably paid a few buck on that IH explosion.

Volatiles have what are known as Upper and Lower Explosive Limits (UEL, LEL)
when mixed with air. Explosions will only occur when the volatiles content
is within those ranges with the severest explosions occurring at the right
stoichiometric ratio. Determining whether you will get into these ranges or
not is a rather complicated analysis based on knowing the number of room air
changes per minute, and the rate of release of the volatiles into the room
environment, the latter being more difficult to determine. The more common
method of doing this is taking empirical measurements with a volatiles
detector. Obviously, all of this can become moot if there is no ignition
source present. Static potential from the plastic or other sources will be
reduced with higher humidity, do don't spray on a cold dry day.

Consider also, that most volatiles are heavier than air, so where you place
your air supply and exhaust is just, if not more, relevant than what you are
using to move fresh air through the system.

To take the fan out of the equation, consider using it to push air into the
booth rather than to exhaust it out. Install an air plenum on top of your
booth into which your fan blows. Provide large openings (to slow the air
movement) between the plenum and the booth with filters to remove dust that
might be drawn in. Exhaust the air from floor level.

Regards,

Doug Windhorn
---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Eric M. Jones

Location: Massachusetts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Guys!.....whoa.

Far be it for me to be the voice of reason. (I was 18-years old in 1965...you get the picture.) But this discussion of explosion proof painting is Way Overboard and potentially dangerous. Here's why.

Copy and paste this search field into Google: paint explosion -"explosion proof" -projector -tshirt -Perplex -sony -art -youtube -"you tube" -photoshop -"T-shirt" The minus terms eliminate a lot of non-relevant stuff.

Then answer the following--

1) Do you have ANY knowledge of a painting accident/explosion with a setup similar to what you intend to use?

2) Do published reports cite extenuating reasons for the accident--natural gas-fired heaters, pools of solvent, toluene, open flame?

My concern is that list reader will be so afraid of fans that they may elect not to risk using them. ANY box fan will be fine. The on/off switch is the only sparker. Don't allow the booth to fill with a cloud of spray. Don't spray solvent through the gun into the open. Use a rag.

Again. Be safe but not silly.

"Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
---Leonard Cohen

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly....I have known a friend who when spraying could not
see the the other side of the room and you could see sparks in the motor
of his compressor and it did not ignite.

Now I wouldn't do that but it goes to show the amount of vapour you need
to make an explosive mixture is beyond what you will get with sparying,
as Eric says the box fan will be perfectly fine and keep the mixture
well below the LEL (lower explosive limit)

Frank

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rvbuilder(at)sausen.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

If it was that thick, he may have actually been too rich. It really is
a narrow mixture for it to explode. Still wouldn't recommend it though.

Michael Sausen

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
N1DeltaWhiskey(at)comcast
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Eric, et al,

I didn't want to write a dissertation on the original question asked which
related to safe implementation of a fan for an enclosed spray room. As Eric
has guided us, there is a plethora of information on explosions and
explosive atmospheres. But my perception of the intent of the temporary
spray booth was to successfully complete painting an airplane. Do we need
to read multi-hundred page books to determine whether we can do this safely
or not?

Back to basics:

1) Assume we will use a flammable based paint. Otherwise, most of the rest
of this discussion is not too important.

2) We will assume the enclosed area for painting is relatively air tight.
If it is not, make sure there is no hot electrical outside the are within 5
ft. of the floor.

3) Further assume the purpose of the booth is to reduce dust that will
contaminate the paint job, and to keep undesirable vapors and particles away
from energy sources (static, electrical arcing as is switches, hot surfaces
as in furnaces, or open flame as in a multitude of appliances) as may be
appropriate.

4) I am assuming the builder of the booth is astute enough to know not to
put electrical equipment inside the booth, including lights. He also has
enough sense to ground discharge nozzles to prevent static buildup. This
activity is not for idiots.

5) The "booth" should consist of 3 parts - the activity room, an air supply
plenum, and an exhaust plenum. The interface between the supply plenum and
the activity room will be at the top of the latter. The interface between
the activity area and the exhaust plenum will be at floor level. Both
interfaces will consist of filters. Both plenums will be fed from, or
discharge to, outside the building which contains our booth.

6) Given 5, any fan of adequate volumetric capacity will work (remember, one
complete air change every 5 min.). It will be switched on before entering
the booth, and off after departing, because the switch is outside the booth.
There are few reasons to be concerned with explosive vapors migrating to the
fan because they are heavier than air and will exit via the exhaust plenum
even if the fan is off. (One "safe" industrial approach is to eliminate
electrical equipment within 5' of an open faced spray booth, and within 15'
for a height of 5' off the floor.)

The one exception I can think of would be related to airflow through the
booth in the opposite direction caused by wind outside the building.
Appropriate arrangement of the intake and exhaust areas should mitigate this
(back draft dampers might be considered if this is perceived to be a
problem).

7) With adequate airflow through the activity area, a general "fog" will not
occur. If it does, stop spraying and figure out why!

Cool Have you gotten zapped from static today? If so, you might want to
postpone your spray activity to another day as one added precaution.

If steps 1-8 are addressed, your chances for an explosion are next to
nothing. These precautions are easy to take and make good sense. They also
are not expensive. Going down the road of intrinsically safe or explosion
proof equipment does not make good sense given the purpose of our temporary
installation. If you think you need to do more than the above, I would
highly recommend not using a flammable solvent based paint.

Regards,

Doug Windhorn
---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
bonanza(at)vodamail.co.za
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: explosion proof fans Reply with quote

Doug, this post goes into my archives. Some subtle points that I did not give much thought to! Thanks for the
heads up! That is why I love the list- always learning!

Bob Verwey
A35 Bonanza ZU-DLW

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours