Oil Thermostat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Dear Richard, (and all)

Thanks for the information, I am watching with interest to see how you get
on. I have applied to the PFA for the Mod details so that I can fit the oil
thermostat. Andy Draper did tell me that he thinks that Francis Donaldson
has done an about turn on the waxstat approval. I await developments with
anticipation.

For all those with reservations about this mod. In 40 years of motoring, I
can recall only one thermostat failure and that was a long time ago. What
are the consequences of operating an engine with a lubricant that never
reaches the optimum operating temperature. In the modern world this is a
straight forward risk assessment. (ie. the likelihood of thermostat failure
versus possible accellerated engine wear, corrosion or oil cooler matrix
rupture).

Bearing in mind that there is air and water cooling of the Rotax engine I
cannot understand why the oil temperature would soar quickly to the limits
if the oil cooler is out of circuit. If the CHT temperature is operating at
say 80degs (typical this time of year on GJULZ) in the cruise why then would
the oil temperature suddenly go out of limits. Bob Harrison said that he
rarely has to put his oil cooler in circuit. The fact that his Jabiru is
totally air cooled is irrelevant. As the Rotax is water and air cooled at
the top end, then it is feasible that the requirement for oil cooling is not
always necessary, particularly in temperate climes.

Originally, I had the oil cooler mounted directly behind the radiator. In
that configuration the oil temperature was always identical to the CHT
temperature.

Since I lowered the oil cooler to the alternative position, the oil
temperature NEVER reaches that of the CHT.

The expert engineers among our group might draw some conclusion from this.

The point I am making is that with the Thermostat in the oil circuit, it
should never inhibit the full flow of oil from the tank to the engine via
the pump. Thermostat failed or not the oil should always either bypass the
oil cooler, go totally through the oil cooler or, a combination of the 2
situations. Therefore, if it can be shown that a failure of the thermostat
that results in total bypass of the oil cooler, does not create an
unmanageble oil temperature situation then there is no reason why this
should not be an advantageous modification.

Bob H, your comment is not really valid with modern aircraft. Automation is
the name of the game. With modern systems, many performance indications are
not even presented to the pilot until a positive action/decision is actually
required by the 'human' systems supervisor.
If one can automate a system then why not - the idea is to reduce pilot
workload so that he may concentrate on flying the aircraft and not be
distracted by systems management.

I am most grateful that the wheel was invented before the birth of the
Europa - otherwise we would still be bouncing along on skids!!!

regards,

Mike.

Do not archive.

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Quote:
The heated and expanded wax causes the thermostat to open against spring
pressure. As the wax cools, the valve is closed by the spring pressure,
not
"suction" of contracting wax, which would probably cavitate anyway.
As such, when the wax is lost there is nothing to push the valve open and
the spring returns it to the closed position, so failing in that position.

I agree that the older mechanical versions fail closed.

The Mocal version of oil thermostat bypasses the cooler when "closed".

Forgive me Duncan, but if I follow your logic then the Mocal thermostat
would fail in the cooler bypass position - that is opposite to the ideal
failsafe position.

regards,

Mike

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Thanks Duncan.
That is precisely my point, sort of been there done that and I wouldn't
be writing this had I been on a long flight particularly over long legs
of water ! So in the established cruise since it overcools anyway I
disconnect the cooler from circuit and therefore no dramatic oil loss if
the cooler is ruptured.
I guess if then the Rotax system is pressurised when stopped the
pressure will back feed to the cooler and then leak ?
So without priming does the oil pump still fetch oil once running ?
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Hi! Mike
Trying to answer your question on running with cold oil..... I'm
convinced that caused my engine to need new rings at 450 hours (but
being a Jabiru!!!)
I hope to be able to confirm this when I do my annual leak down tests in
April and compare them with the pre- ring change figures and the
knackered ring figures.
I am hopeful that this is correct since hand propping indicates some
good compressions still but that may also be down to my choice of oil
too.

But to look at the logic I'm not aware of oil circulation being used to
cool an engine so in most applications except the old side valve types
the oil is generally in the hottest places, pistons cylinder heads and
rocker boxes etc. so therefore you would expect it to be designed to be
in its best lubrication quality at the high temperatures especially so
when it's viscosity is least to throw up into the bores.
The exception to this I think is around the turbo when it is bad news to
stop the engine without a short cooling off period for the turbo.
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru3300

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

R.C.Harrison wrote:

Quote:
But to look at the logic I'm not aware of oil
circulation being used to cool an engine so in most
applications ...

This, Bob, is complete rubbish. IMNSHO.

All engines with no water cooling always have an oil
cooler. Why - to cool the oil ! And why does it need to be
cooled ? Because it gets hot. And why does it get hot ?
Because it is taking heat out of the engine !

The cooling air can only reach the outside of the engine.

I hope your statement was a typo !

Richard

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Hi! Richard.
I appreciated the error of my statement as soon as I pressed the send
key.
My point was that in air cooled engines the oil isn't the primary
cooling medium. In the Jabiru case the sump has cooling fins BUT when
over filled the thing overheats, half fill it and it stays cool!
Thus in the established cruise there is no need for an oil cooler
whatever. But when major power is required during which I accept the oil
is obviously taking heat to the cooler as is the sump a heat sink on a
conventional engine without an oil cooler but the primary cooling is by
water circulation.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300

nigel_graham(at)btclick.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Way to go Gilles.
You have created the ideal oil cooling system that I was describing (albeit
with manual control).

Since this discussion is nicely "on-the-boil" (pun totally intended) - here
is another aspect to consider - weight.
Quote:
From the postings on this group over the years, it would seem that there is
more concern with new builds running too hot - than too cool.

The thermostats primary purpose is to increase engine temperature (it cannot
improve cooling) so its main benefit is to get the engine up to temperature
more quickly following start-up. For the entire rest of the flight - the
thermostat, its pipework, clips, mounting brackets and the additional oil
needed to fill the new pipework is simply dead weight being lugged around
the sky increasing fuel consumption and reducing performance.

A well designed duct with a lightweight vane to control airflow (operated
either manually or by servo) would weigh grams rather than the kilos of an
oil thermostat system.
On a heavier certified aircraft this is not such an issue, but on the Europa
any weight saving improves performance.

Nigel

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Nigel Graham wrote:

Quote:
> From the postings on this group over the years, it
> would seem that there is
more concern with new builds running too hot - than too
cool.

Mine (912 S 170 hours) runs too cool except in the climb.

Quote:
The thermostats primary purpose is to increase engine
temperature (it cannot improve cooling)

It can improve cooling. Mine was running cold so i blanked
off half the oil cooler and it was like that throughout
the summer of 2003.

With the thermostat the oil cooler can be completely
uncovered as the thermostat will control the amount of oil
going through it and therefore its cooling effect. So in
very very hot weather the thermostat directs all the oil
through the cooler which can be used to its fullest
extent. In cold weather it is almost completely blanked
off keeping the oil nice and warm.

The flaw in this argument as I have found is that in the
cruise the oil just doesn't get enough heat pushed into it
to even reach the 80 degrees at which point the thermostat
will control it to 80 degrees. I am considering lagging
the oil pipes AND the oil tank to keep the heat in ! This
was found in 2 degree weather ! Maybe in 10 degree weather
it would be OK !

Quote:
A well designed duct with a lightweight vane to control
airflow (operated
either manually or by servo) would weigh grams rather
than the kilos of an oil thermostat system.

Oil thermostat - 251 grams !

This is gonna run and run and run Smile

Richard

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Quote:
more quickly following start-up. For the entire rest of the flight - the
thermostat, its pipework, clips, mounting brackets and the additional oil
needed to fill the new pipework is simply dead weight being lugged around
the sky increasing fuel consumption and reducing performance.

A well designed duct with a lightweight vane to control airflow (operated
either manually or by servo) would weigh grams rather than the kilos of an
oil thermostat system.
On a heavier certified aircraft this is not such an issue, but on the
Europa
any weight saving improves performance.

Nigel

Nigel,

I don't agree with your weight argument. The thermostat is very light and
requires no extra hose to speak of - just 4 jubilee clips.
For a start, the MAC servo weighs 4oz without any fittings.
The objective is raise the oil temp and keep it at the optimum operating
temperature. Which seems more unlikely as the story unfolds.

regards,

MP

nigel_graham(at)btclick.c
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

H Richard

Quote:
Oil thermostat - 251 grams !
Yep....I'm holding my hands up. Thats much lighter than I expected.

Quote:
......"This is gonna run and run and run Smile"
No, I think we're about there now.

In your original posting of the 23rd, you were so unhappy that you were
contenplating taking your oil thermostat off and I agreed with you.

.......My oil did not warm up quicker. ......
....My feeling is that the waxstat in the thermostat is
opening too early
..... I am contemplating ripping the whole thing off ...........

and now you are arguing robustly in its defence. By a process of cunning
reverse psychology, I have persuaded you to keep it.

Nigel Wink

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Nigel Graham wrote:

Quote:
H Richard

Quote:
> Oil thermostat - 251 grams !
Yep....I'm holding my hands up. Thats much lighter than
I expected.

> ......"This is gonna run and run and run Smile"
No, I think we're about there now. In your original
posting of the 23rd, you were so unhappy that you were
contenplating taking your oil thermostat off and I
agreed with you.

........My oil did not warm up quicker. ...... .....My
feeling is that the waxstat in the thermostat is
opening too early ...... I am contemplating ripping the
whole thing off ...........

and now you are arguing robustly in its defence. By a
process of cunning reverse psychology, I have persuaded
you to keep it.

Nigel Wink

I don't do psychology - just practical Smile And hating to
be beaten, liking to know what is ACTUALLY happening.

The original intention in fitting the thermostat was
primarily to keep the oil temp up in the cruise (keeping
the oil out of the cooler) and as a secondary effect I
could uncover the oil cooler (1/2 covered up) which would
allow better cooling in the summer. I needed the oil temp
up in the winter to keep the water temp up so that the
carb heaters would work properly !

I flew it again today. It was only 4 degrees when I took
off ! On a hard climb to 2495 feet (LTMA at 2500) the oil
went up to 80 and didn't go above (although this wasn't a
really long enough test). I went to Stapleford for lunch
thinking that it would only have a short time to cool so
the oil would start hotter, but got lumbered with filling
in on Air-Ground for an hour so the oil HAD cooled).

In the cruise the oil temp went down to 60.

I have the coolers in the standard position now with no
baffling at all.

So I have come to the conclusion that in the cruise (25.5
MAP 4600 rpm) the engine just doesn't produce much heat -
not enough to keep the oil at 80. A little baffling on the
water radiator might generate more heat in that which
would then cross to the oil. More experiments to come.
Perhaps a half blocking of the air intake that feeds the
cylinder cooling shroud.

And what was different this time compared with last time
when the oil went to 95 in the climb ? The widening out of
the ports to 10 mm (in particular the one that goes to the
oil pump) meant that in the fully extended position the
waxstat wasn't blocking off the by-pass completely. So
that means that as the oil would MUCH prefer to bypass the
cooler rather than go through it, the oil wasn't getting
much (any ?) cooling and so the temp went up. So for today
I had modified the thermostat to give an extra 1.3 mm
movement, and although I didn't give it a conclusive test,
I think the thermostat is opening and achieving at least
the secondary effect.

This is all done of course in 4 degree weather and that is
not representative of the likely operating conditions in
the spring summer and fall (I mean autumn !)

So anyone who is contemplating putting on this thermostat
should chat with me first about how and where to widen out
the ports, before getting their drill out ! Just drilling
out all the ports to 10mm will mean that the thermostat
will always bypass the cooler - which would not be a good
thing !

Maybe the oil tank needs a nice woolly jacket (fireproof
of course) to retain the heat !

--
Richard
Richard F.W. Holder 01279 842804 (POTS)