Fuel Pump Switch(es)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

Ed:

With in the body of your email I inserted my responces.

Barry
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi Frank,

I've been following this thread for a while. I like your idea for the
fuel system. Just a couple of questions.

I'm thinking of using a carbed lycoming. Why couldn't I use a
mechanical pump, an off-left-right-both fuel valve, and two electric pumps?

[Barry] - It depends on what type of plane. You DO NOT run off BOTH with a Low Wing plane. The reason is fuel flow is NEVER equal from both tanks. When one tank runs dry before the other, the engine's fuel pump will SUCK AIR.
This does not happen on Gravity feed systems since gravity will keep the fuel flowing even when one tank is dry.

Another reason for NOT running off BOTH is Fuel Management. When the brain is FORCED to think about switching tanks it generally does a better job of keeping important thing foremost in the thought pattern. This is something the FAA talked about in the WINGS PROGRAM.

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

Normal Operation:
Fuel valve on both all the time (no valve to switch).
One or the other electric pump on to select tank used.
Tanks switched with the pumps.

Takeoff and landing.
Same as above but both electric pumps on.

Failures.
Electric pump failure. Fuel selector switched to that tank if that fuel
is needed.
Mechanical pump failure would NOT be noticed in this system but could be
checked at startup (or in the air if you wanted to turn both pumps off).

All of the advantages you pointed out but would not be dependent on the
electrical system or an electric pump failure.
I like simple systems. I owned and flew a Beech Duchess (light light
twin) for 14 years. Left tank fed left engine, right tank fed right
engine. No switching fuel valves unless an engine failure. Went back
to a single engine three years ago, first time I had to switch tanks I
wasn't happy having to fool with the fuel. A year later in the same
plane, my wife (a pilot also) switched tanks for me but commented that
it didn't feel right going into the left position. I looked down at the
valve and saw that a loose nut from a screw was lodged between the
handle and the stop preventing the valve from fully engaging. Luckily
the engine continued running , valve back to right, fish nut out, valve
to left then worked fine. Should there be loose nuts in the airplane?
No, but stuff happens. Therefore when I heard of your system,  I
liked it immediately.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

The way I ran this system was to only run both pumps for TO and landing...Maybe batting around the pattern I would leave both pumps running but generally would only do this if I had way more fuel that I would burn on the flight.

Normal cruise would be one pump or the other...if the pump quit i simply flipped on the second pump.

What you are getting at Barry is the fact that you have to understand the system is different and is managed accordingly. But it is very simple and the only really nasty failure mode I can think of is what happens in the event of a lightening strike.

Frank

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

Frank:

The issue is NOT running the pumps, one or both ... BUT, running of BOTH tanks at the same time. This is a No-No for low wingers. It is easier to pump AIR than fuel so the pumps run dry ALL PUMPS electrical and mechanical. For when a pump is given a choice of AIR Vs Fuel, such as in the 'Y' connection where both tanks feed the same engine mechanical pump, the pump takes the path of least resistance ... AIR.

As far as the lighting strike ... I don't know for sure, but I would say you are TOAST.
But, I can guarantee 100% that a dry tank in a Low Wing Both configuration will lead to an emergency situation.

=============
[...]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

It is not a NO-NO Barry....In an experimental airplane you can do what you want...And I have and i'm happy with the system. I simply leave a small reserve in each tank.

As I said the only time I run both pumps is for take off and landing. if you did suck a tank dry then you screwed up...Simply turn off the low tank, not that it should have been running with a nearly empty tank in the first place.

I think if you focussed on the benefits of the system (i.e fuel pumps in both both a cool place and in the hydraulically correct place) then the small downside of sucking a tank dry (that should never happen unless your asleep) is a minor consideration.

I did not suck a tank dry in 400 hours...but as I said the system is not normally run with both pumps running at the same time.

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

Oh BTW this statement is incorrect...The air will simply vent through the float bowl. Note the fuel; pumps are in the wingroots. The pump will not pump air against the other pump that is pumping liquid...Can't happen.

For a FI'd engine it won't vent air through the injection system bu it still won't pump air.

Frank

But, I can guarantee 100% that a dry tank in a Low Wing Both configuration will lead to an emergency situation.

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"
[quote] [b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
khorton01(at)rogers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

Barry's statement is true for most low wing light aircraft. Frank's
aircraft has an unusual fuel system design that shouldn't have a
problem in this scenario, as fuel pumps generally do a pretty poor
job of pumping air. It would be good to do an actual test to
demonstrate this mode of operation though, just in case there is a
gotcha lurking.

Some other low wing aircraft (e.g. some Yaks) use gravity feed from
both wings to a small header tank, and have the fuel pump sucking
from the header tank. This would also prevent an emergency if you
run one wing dry with the fuel selector in Both.

But, on RVs with a "normal" fuel system, running one wing dry with a
fuel selector on Both would lead to an engine failure.

Kevin Horton

On 17 Oct 2006, at 16:37, Hinde, Frank George (Corvallis) wrote:

Quote:
Oh BTW this statement is incorrect...The air will simply vent
through the float bowl. Note the fuel; pumps are in the wingroots.
The pump will not pump air against the other pump that is pumping
liquid...Can't happen.

For a FI'd engine it won't vent air through the injection system bu
it still won't pump air.

Frank

But, I can guarantee 100% that a dry tank in a Low Wing Both
configuration will lead to an emergency situation.

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/17/06 4:40:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
frank.hinde(at)hp.com writes:

Quote:
It is not a NO-NO Barry....In an experimental airplane you can do what
you want...And I have and i'm happy with the system. I simply leave a
small reserve in each tank.
============================

Frank:

Experimental has nothing to do with it. It is PHYSICS. Do some simple
experimenting. Make up a 'Y' fitting have the Gas Tank on one side of the 'Y' and
NOTHING but AIR on the other side. Now put the pump at the bottom of the 'Y'.
What do you think will happen? Lots of pump noise but NO FUEL.
Now, I know you are going to say: But I have the electric pump at the top of
the 'Y' ... It does NOT matter. Your mechanical engine pump is still at the
bottom of the 'Y' and it will still suck air. Yet you may be lucky and get
some fuel mixed with air ... Gee in this case I'd take physics over luck.
As for your statement about the air leaking out the float bowl ... I agree
100%. It sure will ... Because AIR is the only thing that will be in the float
bowl.

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

I tested it on the ground but I think I'll avoid the temptation in
flight...Smile

Frank

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

Barry we have beaten this to death I think....Clearly I have not
conveyed the layout of the system.

I do not have a mechanical pump. I have two electric pumps...Each pump
is in the wingroot...I.e pushing on the fuel.

There is no point in the system that the fuel is under suck (except
right at the discharge of the tank)....Now the two pressure feeds from
each pump join at what was the selector valve...Its a simple tee
fitting. There is a check valve in each of these feeds.

Now if a pump goes dry it does not pump air against the head of the
other pump...I have proved this on the ground...Doesn't do the pump much
good and I would never intentionally run it dry because then you have
lost redundancy...I.e I'm down to a single electric pump only.

If I screwed up and ran a tank dry I would hope it would be running a
single pump (cruise mode) and I would simply flip on the other
pump...power restored no problem.

If I ran a tank dry with both pumping I would probably not know about it
because the dead pump won't pump air.

Now why did I do this your probably asking...Simple, its an almost
vapour lock proof system no matter what fuel you choose to run.

Cheers

Frank
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
echristley(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Switch(es) Reply with quote

Kevin Horton wrote:

Quote:

<khorton01(at)rogers.com>

Barry's statement is true for most low wing light aircraft. Frank's
aircraft has an unusual fuel system design that shouldn't have a
problem in this scenario, as fuel pumps generally do a pretty poor
job of pumping air. It would be good to do an actual test to
demonstrate this mode of operation though, just in case there is a
gotcha lurking.

I've heard some anecdotal evidence that says these pumps don't like
being run dry. The person's complaint was that he had a few die in a
couple different cars, and in each case it was soon after an incident of
running out of gas, even though the pump had given years of reliable
service. Seems reasonable considering that the fuel provides cooling
and lubrication. This is in no way to be construed as scientific
evidence, or a repeatable experiment, but I'd keep any such test very
short (for some undefined value of "very short").

--
,|"|"|, Ernest Christley |
----===<{{(oQo)}}>===---- Dyke Delta Builder |

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours