Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
pbraswell(at)alterthought
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

Gang,
I've got a problem with my Whelen strobe system blowing a 10 amp fuse.

I'm using a 10 amp mini-blade fuse which is blowing intermittently. The kit manufacturer as per the instructions, recommends a 10 amp fuse, but of course they allude to a 10 amp aircraft style reset-able fuse. I can seem to get the fuse to blow fairly regularly if I turn the strobes on and off in quick succession. The fuse will blow less reliably if I turn the strobes on prior to takeoff and just leave them on.

My questions are these: Would there be any difference in a 10 amp blade fuse vs. the mechanical breaker style fuse as prescribed by the manufacturer? And the other question is is there such thing as a slow-blow mini blade style fuse and could this possibly make a difference? And finally perhaps there is something more insidious at work here?

TIA,
Peter

_______________________________________

Peter J. Braswell

804.934.0300 Office
804.690.5896 Mobile

_______________________________________

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

At 09:01 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:

Quote:
Gang,
I've got a problem with my Whelen strobe system blowing a 10 amp fuse.

I'm using a 10 amp mini-blade fuse which is blowing intermittently. The
kit manufacturer as per the instructions, recommends a 10 amp fuse, but of
course they allude to a 10 amp aircraft style reset-able fuse. I can seem
to get the fuse to blow fairly regularly if I turn the strobes on and off
in quick succession. The fuse will blow less reliably if I turn the
strobes on prior to takeoff and just leave them on.

My questions are these: Would there be any difference in a 10 amp blade
fuse vs. the mechanical breaker style fuse as prescribed by the
manufacturer? And the other question is is there such thing as a slow-blow m

How old is this system? Is this a "new" phenomenon that's
popped up after a period of satisfactory operation or has
it existed from square-one? Have you placed an ammeter in
series with the supply line to measure the system's current
draw? You need an analog meter to get some notion of minimum
and maximum current between firings. Which strobe system is it?

Quote:
ini blade style fuse and could this possibly make a difference? And
finally perhaps there is something more insidious at work here?

Fuses are faster to respond than most breakers. It could
be that your strobes are drawing an average well below
the 10A rating of the fuse but hit it repeatedly with
levels that exceed 10A and degrade the fuse over a period
of time.

The real definitive measurement would be to put a data acquisition
system on it and watch it for a period of time and the compare
that data with a system that performs as expected. Unfortunately,
most folks in your position don't have access to such equipment
and you're stuck with hip-shots hopefully filtered through some sense
of the physics.

Bob . . .
< What is so wonderful about scientific truth...is that >
< the authority which determines whether there can be >
< debate or not does not reside in some fraternity of >
< scientists; nor is it divine. The authority rests >
< with experiment. >
< --Lawrence M. Krauss >

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
pbraswell(at)alterthought
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

Bob et. al. -
No, this is a brand new install/system and has been exhibiting this behavior
from almost day 1.

I do have an inline amp meter that I can hook up in an attempt to see what
kind of current draw I'm actually getting. I agree with you guys that this
and looking for obvious "bad" things (bad switch, bad/faulty connections) is
probably the place to start.

And yes, you are right Bob, no fancy-smancy equipment in my toolshed as you
suggested Smile

Thanks!
Peter

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
mprather(at)spro.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

Is the mini blade fuse smaller than the regular ATC fuse (for which b and
c sells holders)?

Many amp meters are limited to 10A. If the trouble you are having is
blowing a 10A fuse, likely the circuit is drawing more than 10A. Be a
little careful here with the meter, though it's also likely fuse
protected.

As Bob has mentioned in the past, an analog meter often has faster
response time than many Digital MultiMeters (DMM). The quicker response
time can help in observing transient behavior in a circuit. It may be
quite a bit ea$ier to get an analog ammeter than it would be to get a more
sophisticated data acquistion system.

Dumb question: Is there anything else wired on the same 10A fuse circuit
(even though maybe it's turned off)?

If a device has much input capacitance (power supply caps), turning the
device on can cause a significant above-steady-state current draw - to
charge the caps. Power cycling the device repeatedly can generate higher
average current.
Regards,

Matt-

[quote]
<pbraswell(at)alterthought.com>
[...]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

Matt,
Thank you very much for the input.

I probably need to offer a amendment/correction to my earlier post, prompted
by one of your questions. I perhaps may have mis-named what I'm using. I
AM using a 10a ATC fuse. I purchased an assorted tray of them from Stein
Air. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I do not have anything else on that circuit. I tried very hard (and
succeeded) to have one device/one fuse.

Peter

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
jimw_btg(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

Food for thought a full strobe system can draw from 7 A for the Whelen
A413A HDA-CF at 14 Volts to as low as 1.7A with the A409ATS CF at 14 volts.
If you have a 7A operating unit when you turn it on it could I believe when
anode to cathode current....I am not sure if it would surge the load to
over 10 Amps?

Jim Wickert
Vision CorvAir #159
Quote:
I probably need to offer a amendment/correction to my earlier post,
prompted

[quote] by one of your questions. I perhaps may have mis-named what I'm using. I
AM using a 10a ATC fuse. I purchased an assorted tray of them from Stein
Air. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I do not have anything else on that circuit. I tried very hard (and
succeeded) to have one device/one fuse.

Peter

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

At 12:03 PM 9/12/2006 -0400, you wrote:

Quote:

<pbraswell(at)alterthought.com>
Matt,
Thank you very much for the input.

I probably need to offer a amendment/correction to my earlier post, prompted
by one of your questions. I perhaps may have mis-named what I'm using. I
AM using a 10a ATC fuse. I purchased an assorted tray of them from Stein
Air. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I do not have anything else on that circuit. I tried very hard (and
succeeded) to have one device/one fuse.

Peter

Okay. Just for grins, put a 15A fuse in and see what happens.
15A is not so much greater as to put the wire in danger. I presume
the strobe is running normally when the fuse is not blown. The
15A fuse experiment will help us put a crude bound on the
incoming current and at least show that it's not a transient
hard fault which will blow the 15A fuse too

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
pbraswell(at)alterthought
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

Bob,
Easy enough to do! I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. And to
answer your question, yes the strobe work fine when it is working.

Thanks!
Peter

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Whelen Strobes Blowing Fuses Reply with quote

At 09:49 AM 9/12/2006 -0600, you wrote:

Quote:

Is the mini blade fuse smaller than the regular ATC fuse (for which b and
c sells holders)?

Interesting question. If he WAS using the ATM "mini" fuses, would
we expect it to be twitchy compared to it's larger brother. I uploaded
the spec sheets to:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Bussman/ATC_Specs.pdf

and

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Bussman/ATC_Specs.pdf

I note that the "little guys" spec the same
headroom (ATM-3 ATC-3 fuses both go asymtotic
at 4A). At 10A, the ATM-3 average blow is about 140 mS
and the ATC-3 is 80 mS. I don't know if you were thinking
the same thing I was but in any case, it's interesting
to note that the smaller fuse has a bit more
thermo-dynamic mass than big brother. Who wuda thunk it?

Quote:
As Bob has mentioned in the past, an analog meter often has faster
response time than many Digital MultiMeters (DMM). The quicker response
time can help in observing transient behavior in a circuit. It may be
quite a bit ea$ier to get an analog ammeter than it would be to get a more
sophisticated data acquistion system.

One of the reasons I keep analog meters around is to
watch trends/dynamics of the parameter being observed.
A digital meter is difficult to get a sense of min/max,
duty cycle (stays high longer than low) and frequency.

Digitals may be giving be perfectly accurate data for each
time they take a reading (typically 1 to 4 times per second)
but one cannot deduce the behaviors cited from what appears
to be a dancing set of random numbers.

Many digital meters have a bar graph built in under the
digits but it's hard to beat the black pointer waving
across a white scale to get a sense of "the beat".

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours