Fuel Pumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
archie97(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Correct.
Any speed shop can help.
Although electric auto racing pumps can run to $600.+, a decent one
capable of alcohol and gasoline, w/ 140gph capacity may run around
$200.
Archie
---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
n801bh(at)netzero.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Holley pumps work great, been around a LONG time and are reasonably priced. The red pump has a 7psi output at 110 gph, the blue one is about the same with 14 psi discharge pressure. Both can be had at Jegs, Sunmmit and other mail order catalogs. Been running one in my race cars/boats/street rods and airplane for years and never had a failure. There's one in my beast and it flies almost every day here in Paradise..
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "DEAN PSIROPOULOS" <dean.psiropoulos(at)verizon.net> wrote:
--> Engines-List message posted by: "DEAN PSIROPOULOS" <dean.psiropoulos(at)verizon.net>

These pumps are not rocket science but they are obviously "aircraft" parts
because the price is about 10 TIMES what it ought to be. I ended up with an
AFP fuel pump when Mattituck sent me my finished engine.  I can't help but
speculate that there HAS to be a similar pump in the auto racing world that
can be used for this purpose. That pump will likely cost between 50-100
dollars and be of equal or better quality than a PMA stamped part (who knows
maybe even AFP adapts one of these pumps). Not to knock the AFP system, it's
likely the best mechanical system to be had today and Don Rivera's service
is top notch.  But... these ridiculous prices for simple and proven pumping
technology is idiotic (like many old low tech aircraft parts). Anyone
researched using an automotive racing pump (ie. Holley, Edelbrock, etc) for
this purpose.

Dean Psiropoulos
RV-6A N197DM
Always blown away by the cost of "aircraft" parts.
[quote]Subject: RE: RV-List: Curious
From: "BPA" <BPA(at)bpaengines.com>

The Airflow Performance boost pump is around 500.00 bucks. Lighweight,
simple in design and works. Everybody I know has problems with Duke
pumps and end up chucking them in the trash. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

I have a dual electric pump only (no mechanical pump) RV7a...Fuel
injected. I used the NAPA after market pump like the rotary boys do...I
paid about $85 for each pump I think.

Tracy Cook is the guy you want to talk to...he has a web site and his
pump is listed there. He tells me he has never heard of a failure,
except if you run thm dry.

Frank

--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

I think 140GPH might be just a BIT high....like 4 TIMES what you
need...Smile

I measured the $85 NAPA pumps at 38 GPH each. They run about 29psi in
service...Pefect for a FI IO360. They are alcohol compatibible...they
have to be to cope with ethanol laced auto fuel.

So far we have been talking Fuel injection. Remember that for
carburetted you can use a solid state fecet pump at about $30 a piece.

Frank

--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

For a Lycosaurus FI sysytem (either bendix or Airflow performance) I think the 14psi would be right on the bottom limit if i remember correctly.

Frank

From: "BPA" <BPA(at)bpaengines.com>

The Airflow Performance boost pump is around 500.00 bucks. Lighweight,
simple in design and works. Everybody I know has problems with Duke
pumps and end up chucking them in the trash.
Quote:

nics.com/Navigator?Engines-List

[b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
w_sweet(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

This is not to ruffle anyone's hair, BUT..... if a fuel pump in an auto
craps out, some cuss words and a tow truck is about as far as it goes. It a
pump fails in an airplane, most (but not all) pilot/owners will look for
"Who can I suit?". This insurance costs money. We in the experimental end
can install any type of pump we wish, so can bypass the expensive ones. I
try to keep in mind, if we want the quality products from companies such as
AFP's and their throttle bodies, etc., then we have to support them.
OR..............it's Bendix and their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Just MHO.
Wayne

---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

I've flown 325 hours with dual electric pumps and have had no failures.
Price was around $60 when I purchased them back in 1994. Both were MDS high
pressure injector pumps and would flow 45 GPH at 40 psi. Test them each
conditional inspection, one pump (primary) pressure has gradually decreased
from 80 psi (no flow) to 60 psi over the years, the back up (used on take
off and landing) still produces 80 psi. Never had a problem with them.

Frank's right on - you can damage them if you run them dry for any period
over a few seconds. I have run tanks dry before switching and that short
period does not appear to cause damage.

Tracy Crook flies with and sells a similar pump for aircraft use. His
website is:

http://www.rotaryaviation.com/

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com
http://members.cox.net/rogersda/rotary/configs.htm#N494BW
---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List

_________________
Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson@carolina.rr.com
ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Be advised that Tracy's pumps are true high pressure pumps designed for
electronic injection (>50psi) & require the regulator to have a return
line to the tank. (about 80% cheaper, though...)

Hinde, Frank George (Corvallis) wrote:

[quote]

I have a dual electric pump only (no mechanical pump) RV7a...Fuel
injected. I used the NAPA after market pump like the rotary boys do...I
paid about $85 for each pump I think.

Tracy Cook is the guy you want to talk to...he has a web site and his
pump is listed there. He tells me he has never heard of a failure,
except if you run thm dry.

Frank

--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Yup which is what I did...Smile

Frank

--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours