OV Module additional requirement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
bob(at)flyboybob.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

Bob,

I have upgraded my engine from mag to electronic ignition and carb to fuel
injection. This has increased the electrical demand far in excess of the 20
amp alternator that is supplied with my engine. I am using Z13-20 with a 40
amp alternator installed in the mag drive of the engine.

My load analysis shows 59 amps with everything on (including pitot heat).
Therefore I would like to be able to run both alternators together as my
standard operation. Now lets make the assumption that one of the
alternators has an OV event. Using the existing Crowbar OVM revE as a base
line I would like to know if it is possible to remove the wire between pinA
of the Gate S6025L, and add an additional output from the OVM to be the trip
for the alternator field. The existing positive connection of the OVM would
be connected to the alternator B+ as a sense lead.

I have a schematic of this idea at
http://flyboybob.com/images/kr2/n52bl/electric%20and%20instrument/ov001-rev2
-4.jpg to illistrate my question.

The power distribution has the two alternators each with a separate OVM
comming together at the battery contactor on opposite sides which puts the
battery between B+ power feeds of the two alternators.

That's the background, now the question:

Would an OVMs be able to sence the offending high voltage alternator and
only trip that one alternator off line? Or would the battery not be able to
clamp the OV event long enough to prevent the OVM on the good alternator
from tripping too?

Regards,

Bob Lee
N52BL KR2
Suwanee, GA
91% done only 65% to go!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
bob(at)flyboybob.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

OK 'Lectron heads, let me know, did question just got dropped in the midst
of all the George-bantor, or is it too dumb to get an answer?

The questions:

1. can the OVM be modified to allow for three inputs: sense, trip, and
ground? (I don't want to crowbar the same place that I want to measure the
voltage.)

2. Can one OVM detect and react to an OV event fast enough to trip the
correct alternator in a two alternator/OVM installation?

The deatils are in the attached message.

Regards,

Bob Lee
N52BL KR2
Suwanee, GA
91% done only 65% to go!
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
klehman(at)albedo.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

Hi Bob Lee

With paralleled alternators you probably can't really have an
overvoltage due to a single failure with such a heavilly loaded system.
If either alternator running full on at 100% output would still not
exceed the system load, then the second alternator would just reduce its
output (although it might well oscillate). I actually observed something
similar today. After a night flight I had inadvertantly left a fuel pump
on that drained one battery. It seemed like an opportunity to experiment
a bit with my Z-14 architecture so I ran the engine. Bad idea I guess as
the 20amp PM alternator now seems to want to run full on. However in the
short term it does not come close to tripping the OVP as long as the
batteries are paralleled. With 20 amps or more load the voltage stays
completely normal.

Back to your situation - even with small loads I would not expect an OVM
to trip only the problem alternator if two alternators are paralleled
and one goes to max output. Two regulators or two OVMs will always have
slightly different control voltages. There is some discussion on the
difficulties of paralleling alternators in the archives. You might want
to consider a larger main alternator unless it is only temporary loads
like landing lights that is bringing you up to 59 amps. Certainly you
can build an OVM with a separate sense wire but I haven't looked at your
proposed method.

Ken

Bob Lee wrote:

[...]

nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

At 01:08 PM 9/7/2006 -0400, you wrote:

Quote:

OK 'Lectron heads, let me know, did question just got dropped in the midst
of all the George-bantor, or is it too dumb to get an answer?

The questions:

1. can the OVM be modified to allow for three inputs: sense, trip, and
ground? (I don't want to crowbar the same place that I want to measure the
voltage.)

2. Can one OVM detect and react to an OV event fast enough to trip the
correct alternator in a two alternator/OVM installation?

The deatils are in the attached message.

Your system narrative seems to describe two alternators
running in parallel to a single battery. You've also
expressed a desire to rate your system's load carrying
ability by a dependence on both alternators running
to drive a single bus.

Running two or more engine driven power sources in parallel
takes special regulators that talk to each other, compare
present loads with respect to capacity of each alternator
and agree on how the loads are divided so that each machine
shares total load in proportion to it's ratings.

On the Hawker 800, we can run both engine generators and
the APU simultaneously and even tho the apu is a much smaller
generator, one can check the running loads and see that
all machines are carrying their "fair" share . . . i.e.
all read close to the same percentage of total load.

I've not studied the details of the generator control units
supplied with this system but I'd be surprised if the built-in
OV detection and shut down systems are not smart enough to
know who is responsible for an OV condition; the generator
over which I have responsibility -OR- some other machine
in the system.

If you use B&C regulators in some combination like that
depicted in Z-12 (Main and Aux alternators driving a common
bus), the regulators are designed to differentiate between
an OV condition caused by "my alternator" or the "other guy's
alternator" and respond accordingly. We call it selective
OV trip.

Without knowing more about the hardware you selected to
deduce whether or not selective trip is possible/practical
for your system.

Let's look at the basics first. Under what conditions do
you anticipate a 59A running load? Have you crafted a load
analysis and filled out a form like:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Load_Analysis/Blank_Form.pdf

I'm skeptical that you really need a 59A running capacity
unless you have some form of electric heated windows, etc.
Let's look over your numbers first. If you've a mind to
use Excel as opposed to a paper form, the directory at:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Load_Analysis

. . . has several exemplar Load Analysis spread sheets
you are invited to exploit for data and/or modify for
your own use as you wish.

When this is complete, let's revisit you alternator
choices/options and see what it takes to make it all work.
Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

Is anybody else having trouble getting Excel to open these? It locks
up everytime I try one of them and gives me an error that Excel is
trying to communicate with some other program using OLE.

Dave Morris

At 07:44 AM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
I'm skeptical that you really need a 59A running capacity
Quote:
unless you have some form of electric heated windows, etc.
Let's look over your numbers first. If you've a mind to
use Excel as opposed to a paper form, the directory at:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Load_Analysis

. . . has several exemplar Load Analysis spread sheets
you are invited to exploit for data and/or modify for
your own use as you wish.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
aadamson(at)highrf.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

Dave, just checked with excel 2003 and they opened fine...

Alan

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
brian-av(at)lloyd.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

On Sep 8, 2006, at 6:34 AM, Dave N6030X wrote:

Quote:

<N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com>

Is anybody else having trouble getting Excel to open these? It
locks up everytime I try one of them and gives me an error that
Excel is trying to communicate with some other program using OLE.

Try grabbing a copy of OpenOffice. (http://www.openoffice.org) I find
it seems to do well with many different file formats. The price is
right. It is good enough that I am moving away from the Microsoft
office suite as a result.

Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian HYPHEN av AT lloyd DOT com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

I've got the latest updated copy of Excel 2002
SP3 but it's trying to do something strange with
these particular files. I don't have this problem with other Excel files.

Dave

At 11:31 AM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
Quote:

On Sep 8, 2006, at 6:34 AM, Dave N6030X wrote:

><N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com>
>
>Is anybody else having trouble getting Excel to open these? It
>locks up everytime I try one of them and gives me an error that
>Excel is trying to communicate with some other program using OLE.

Try grabbing a copy of OpenOffice. (http://www.openoffice.org) I find
it seems to do well with many different file formats. The price is
right. It is good enough that I am moving away from the Microsoft
office suite as a result.

Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian HYPHEN av AT lloyd DOT com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
bob(at)flyboybob.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I can tell that the path I was trying to go down is
not the one to take (two alternators on one bus). The load analysis shows
15 amps on the battery bus (electronic ignition/fuel injection), 6 amps on
the endurance bus (minimum equipment for safe flight) and 36 amps on the
Main bus.
It is posted at: http://flyboybob.com/web_pages/kr2/index.htm, if you click
the link to "electrical" in the left frame the first thing that comes up is
the load analysis.

I'll go with the 40 amp main alternator and 20 amp back up and just do the
switching manually. It seems that making it automatic will not be as simple
as I had hopped.

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards,

Bob Lee
N52BL KR2
Suwanee, GA
91% done only 65% to go!
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckollsr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

At 01:43 PM 9/8/2006 -0400, you wrote:

Quote:

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I can tell that the path I was trying to go down is
not the one to take (two alternators on one bus). The load analysis shows
15 amps on the battery bus (electronic ignition/fuel injection), 6 amps on
the endurance bus (minimum equipment for safe flight) and 36 amps on the
Main bus.
It is posted at: http://flyboybob.com/web_pages/kr2/index.htm, if you click
the link to "electrical" in the left frame the first thing that comes up is
the load analysis.

I'll go with the 40 amp main alternator and 20 amp back up and just do the
switching manually. It seems that making it automatic will not be as simple
as I had hopped.

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Not sure you need to resort to manual switching. If you wire
per Z-12 with B&C hardware, automatic assumption of loads by
the auxiliary alternator is built in. Both alternators are ON
all the time . . . Aux alternator is set for 13.0 volts while main
alternator is set for 14.2 volts. The aux alternator regulator sees
"too high" bus voltage and relaxes. If main altenrator goes off
line, bus voltage sags and aux alternator comes alive. If loads
on the Aux Alternator exceed rated output of 20A, then the "AUX
ALT LOADED" light flashes. You turn things off until the light
stops flashing.

But your load analysis suggests that Z-13/8 would be all you
need. How much RUNNING current does the pitot heater draw when
submerged in an ice bath? This is the real load-analysis current.

Are the position lights LED? if not, 2.0A for nav lights is
too low.

The dynamo relay would be an E-bus load, not a battery bus load.

Ignition of 8A is REALLY big . . . what engine are you using
and what ignition system?

Landing and taxi lights are generally not combined with pitot
heat. You may adopt an operating protocol that runs pitot heat
in VMC when lights would be off.

Let's tweak this analysis a bit. I'm not convinced that you
need a 40/20 system . . . and 40/8 may well get done what you
need to do.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
bob(at)flyboybob.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: OV Module additional requirement Reply with quote

Bob Nuckolls wrote: (my reply in << brackets >>
Not sure you need to resort to manual switching. If you wire
per Z-12 with B&C hardware, automatic assumption of loads by
the auxiliary alternator is built in. Both alternators are ON
all the time . . . Aux alternator is set for 13.0 volts while main
alternator is set for 14.2 volts. The aux alternator regulator sees
"too high" bus voltage and relaxes. If main altenrator goes off
line, bus voltage sags and aux alternator comes alive. If loads
on the Aux Alternator exceed rated output of 20A, then the "AUX
ALT LOADED" light flashes. You turn things off until the light
stops flashing.
<< The 20 amp dynamo supplied with the engine has a regulator that seems to
be a type of zenor that meerly clamps the voltage to a limit. There are
only three connections on the regulator: AC(1), [AC(2) and +12], and
ground. I cannot use the B&C hardware here because it is a permanant magnet
unit, therefore Z-13. >>

But your load analysis suggests that Z-13/8 would be all you
need. How much RUNNING current does the pitot heater draw when
submerged in an ice bath? This is the real load-analysis current.
<< Will need to test this because I don't know - see below >>

Are the position lights LED? if not, 2.0A for nav lights is
too low.
<< Yes, LED >>

The dynamo relay would be an E-bus load, not a battery bus load.
<< It ends up on the battery bus because I have used the method suggested
on Z-13/8 that brings the ground to the panel through a circuit-breaker that
gets tripped for an OV event. The positive side of the relay is just
connected to the b+ lead on the battery side of the disconnect relay. >>

Ignition of 8A is REALLY big . . . what engine are you using
and what ignition system?
<< Great Plains Aircraft Supply 2600cc. It is an auto conversion based on
the VW TypeIV engine. The ignition is a Comp-u-Fire electronic ignition.
There are several flying and they measure 8 amps. >>

Landing and taxi lights are generally not combined with pitot
heat. You may adopt an operating protocol that runs pitot heat
in VMC when lights would be off.
<< Certainly this is an option that can work. I was trying to develop a
solution that reduced the number of electrical events that the pilot got
involved in. Let the airplane solve any problem it can and reduce the types
of events that the pilot was responsible for managing is the design goal
here. In reality, I don't intend to need pitot heat by flying in VMC. I
meerly want to have the legal equipment to allow me to regularly file IFR.
I find that flying IFR all the time makes you a better pilot on those
extremely rare ocassions where you end up in less than VFR weather by
mistake. If pitot heat gets turned on though, the charging system needs to
handle it. >>

Let's tweak this analysis a bit. I'm not convinced that you
need a 40/20 system . . . and 40/8 may well get done what you
need to do.
<< The engine is supplied with a 20 amp perminant-magnet dynamo so the 8/20
decision has already been made by the engine supplier. The 40 amp
alternator is from a Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. I selected it because it
is driven off the transmission end of the primary drive (1/2 engine speed).
This makes the rpm range of my engine a very close match to the design rpm
range of this alternator. I have modified it's mounting to allow it to be
placed in the mag drive of my engine. I also modified the alternator to
remove the internal regulator and use an external regulator. The faston
male connector that was the idot light is now the field input. >>

Bob . . .
<< me to! >>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours