Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
gmcjetpilot(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

Bob:

It is called Airmanship. Standardization, Procedures, Checklist.

I hate to be boring and repeat my self, but do it as the AFM, AOM
or checklist says. Granted if "experimental" you can set any procedure
you want, BUT WHY NOT stay with the standard method / procedure.

Bob as a CFII-MET, ATP and professional instructor I reject the, it
does not matter, attitude. On the B767 for example you are trained
to turn hydraulic pumps on and off in a certain order. Well the smart
pilots say it does not matter. However they have out smarted them
selves. When done out of sequence or reversing the order you
transfer fluid from one system to another and end up over full on
one system and low on the other over time.

Second is human factors. I worked for Boeing and developing or
evaluating small changes in check list. LESS IS MORE. You don't
need to do extra steps than DON'T. Don't make it up as you go. BE
CONSISTANT and FOLLOW PROCEDURES, every time. Why be
different than Piper or Cessna in your experimental? If you don't need
to or have a good reason to change the procedure DON'T. Some day
it will bite you.

Last, internally regulated alterantors have automatic control of the
voltage regulator and do not require manual selection. Doing manual
selection is going against the way it was designed. Many have
"soft start" and delays built into the chip. If you don't have first hand
knowledge of how it's designed than I suggest you follow the
PROCEDURE that was established for the application that alternator
was originally designed for, e.g., a automobile. How many automobiles
require the driver the switch the alternator on and off manually? ZERO

I know Boys will be Boys and throwing switches is weeeeee, fun, but
resist the urge to play Top Gun, Space Shuttle Captain. KISS
Keep it Simple Scientific-man.

I think your observations Bob are weak and insignificant. Smile

Yea, standardization and check list are stupid (not).

You must be fun to work with Bob, when you tell people their input
is insignificant. Bob, there are other factors to consider that are not
related to electrons alone. You need to get up from you bench and
go fly more. Human factors, AFM's and checklist are key, critical
to aviation safety. To get into a NIT PICK of the esoterica of who
is more correct is counter productive.

Repeat: FOLLOW THE CHECKLIST AS DESIGNED BY A TEAM
OF ENGINEER'S (who have covered all bases) AND IS APPROVED
BY THE FAA. If experimental try to follow industry standards, which
is: ALT on before start, ALT off after shutdown. Simple.

Cheers George (boring and following standardization and checklist)

>From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckollsr(at)cox.net>
Quote:
posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckollsr(at)cox.net>

Quote:
>posted by: "Bill Denton" <bdenton(at)bdenton.com>
>
>In an airplane equipped with a Continental 0-200, would you want to
>turn on the ALT switch before engine start, or after?

>It makes no difference. The arguments for and against
>either philosophy are not backed by good science meaning
>that effects cited as undesirable are so weak as to be
>insignificant.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Bill Denton

Location: Chicago, IL USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

Here's a bit of background on my question...

I was considering panel layouts for an OBAM (Experimental) aircraft, so there would be no "procedures" other than what I set myself.

I am a firm believer in standardization as I have done a great deal of computer software development, and I always follow the human interface standards unless there is a very good reason not to.

But there may rarely be reasons for overriding a standard, or you may have conflicting standards. For example, workflow patterns are typically set using a "left to right; top to bottom" flow model.

You will note that in most small single engine aircraft, the standard is to have the mag/starter switch on the left, with the master switch(es) (bat and alt) on the right. This violates the typical workflow model as you must first turn on the battery master (at minimum), then move left to start the aircraft.

I am considering overriding the "standard" placement and using a workflow-based placement.

In this instance, you would have the battery master on the left, with the mag/starter switch to the right.

The question then arises as to when the alt switch should be turned on, and I recall reading someplace at some time (how's that for precision!) that it might be best not to turn on the alt switch until after engine start.

If you would turn on the alt switch before engine start, I would use a layout of: battery master - alt - mag/starter.

But if you would turn the alt switch on after engine start, I would use a layout of: battery master - mag/starter - alt.

The concept would be maintaining the left-to-right workflow model...

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/30/2006 10:52:13 AM Eastern Standard Time, bdenton(at)bdenton.com writes:
Quote:
You will note that in most small single engine aircraft, the standard is to have the mag/starter switch on the left, with the master switch(es) (bat and alt) on the right. This violates the typical workflow model as you must first turn on the battery master (at minimum), then move left to start the aircraft.

I am considering overriding the "standard" placement and using a workflow-based placement.

In this instance, you would have the battery master on the left, with the mag/starter switch to the right

====================================
This would have been a good idea if it was done about 50 years ago.  The problem is all of your training and 99.93% of everyone else's was done to the old standard. You have been conditioned over the years and hopefully just like a concert violinist trained your muscles to react. I'm not saying you can't be retrained but the rules of 'Precedence' overrides 'Rote'.
I mention everyone else because there may be times when you may want to or need to have someone else fly your plane.
Also, there is a little bit of a physical reason why things were original done with the Mags to the outside. It was because you can accidentally shutoff the Master without any serious consequences. But, if you shut off the engine you now have to pray it will restart.

Years ago I was given the training aid ... Down & Out is OFF - That goes for two situations Switches & Controls - and - The Start Up / Shut Down procedure. Starting at center panel you go DOWN and then OUT to both the Right and Left. This works for many planes especially one that is not yours or is new to you. It is also a double check as you go back to center. Human nature takes you BACK the same path you went out on.

As far as things violating the typical workflow model, well just about ALL of flying does that. Thinking back, what was normal, natural or standard when you were taking your training? Maybe the Push forward to go Down, Pull Back to go UP but what about the Pull Back more to GO DOWN. That still has me confused. Left & Right are OK, but again, what about the things you do with the Rudder? Crazy ain't it!

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
brian-av(at)lloyd.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

On Aug 30, 2006, at 7:08 AM, <gmcjetpilot(at)yahoo.com>
<gmcjetpilot(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:
Repeat: FOLLOW THE CHECKLIST AS DESIGNED BY A TEAM
OF ENGINEER'S (who have covered all bases) AND IS APPROVED
BY THE FAA. If experimental try to follow industry standards, which
is: ALT on before start, ALT off after shutdown. Simple.

It is possible that a team of engineers may have produced a checklist
for specific reasons but most check lists only ensure you perform all
the steps and sequence is not an issue. I am aware of checklists that
were constructed by the manufacturer just that way, by random chance.
Changing the checklist to improve logical grouping or cockpit flow is
actually sensible.

You make a good point about understanding the systems. You understand
why there is a start-up order for the hydraulic systems in the B767.
Systems understanding is very important.

And when you understand the single-battery, single-bus, single-
alternator-with-external-regulation system used in almost all TC
singles, you will know that turning on the alternator with the master
or after start is a non-issue. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

Slavish adherence to old procedures without any thought is bad
practice also.
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian HYPHEN av AT lloyd DOT com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
brian-av(at)lloyd.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

On Aug 30, 2006, at 8:57 AM, FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
[...]

I think you will find that, beyond the six-pack flight instrument
placement, there just hasn't been a lot of standardization on
aircraft panels. My Aztec has the master and the four mag switches in
close proximity from left to right on the left side of the switch
panel. If for any reason I feel a crazy need to turn any of these
switches off during flight you can bet your sweet ass I will be
looking very hard to make sure I have the correct one in my hand.
Just like when retracting flaps the call is "confirm flaps" at which
point my co-pilot looks down and says "flaps confirmed". Then and
only then do I raise the flaps.

I think that Bill Denton is to be applauded for thinking about work
flow ergonomics of his panel. It will make his airplane easier and
more logical to fly. Just because Beech, Piper, and Cessna used the
shotgun approach to panel layout 50 years ago doesn't mean there is
some virtue in retaining those bad old layouts.

Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian HYPHEN av AT lloyd DOT com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
oldbob(at)BeechOwners.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

Good Afternoon All,

Just a few random thoughts on this subject.

1.) Standardization makes it much easier for a check
pilot to conduct a proficiency check.

2.) Standardization allows us to easily develop habit
patterns.

3.) Standardization is the mortal enemy of innovation.

4.) Standardization tends to make the operator feel
he/she is safe as long as he/she is following the
standardized procedures.

So the question becomes: Is standardization good or
bad?

It is my contention that such a question is best
answered by the following statement.

"It All Depends!"

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

--- Brian Lloyd <brian-av(at)lloyd.com> wrote:

Quote:

<brian-av(at)lloyd.com>

On Aug 30, 2006, at 8:57 AM, FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com wrote:

> I am considering overriding the "standard"
placement and using a
> workflow-based placement.
>
> In this instance, you would have the battery
master on the left,
> with the mag/starter switch to the right
> ====================================
> This would have been a good idea if it was done
about 50 years
> ago. The problem is all of your training and
99.93% of everyone
> else's was done to the old standard. You have
been conditioned
> over the years and hopefully just like a concert
violinist trained
> your muscles to react. I'm not saying you can't
be retrained but
> the rules of 'Precedence' overrides 'Rote'.
> I mention everyone else because there may be times
when you may
> want to or need to have someone else fly your
plane.
> Also, there is a little bit of a physical reason
why things were
> original done with the Mags to the outside. It
was because you can
> accidentally shutoff the Master without any
serious consequences.
> But, if you shut off the engine you now have to
pray it will restart.

I think you will find that, beyond the six-pack
flight instrument
placement, there just hasn't been a lot of
standardization on
aircraft panels. My Aztec has the master and the
four mag switches in
close proximity from left to right on the left side
of the switch
panel. If for any reason I feel a crazy need to turn
any of these
switches off during flight you can bet your sweet
ass I will be
looking very hard to make sure I have the correct
one in my hand.
Just like when retracting flaps the call is "confirm
flaps" at which
point my co-pilot looks down and says "flaps
confirmed". Then and
only then do I raise the flaps.

I think that Bill Denton is to be applauded for
thinking about work
flow ergonomics of his panel. It will make his
airplane easier and
more logical to fly. Just because Beech, Piper, and
Cessna used the
shotgun approach to panel layout 50 years ago
doesn't mean there is
some virtue in retaining those bad old layouts.

Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline
Way
brian HYPHEN av AT lloyd DOT com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788
(fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny
of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

browse
Subscriptions page,
FAQ,
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Web Forums!
Admin.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Bruce(at)glasair.org
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes standardization can kill us.

I don't have any information on that commuter crash in KY a couple of days
ago, other than what I saw on the news. But I'll bet you a breakfast that
the guy realized that he was on too short a runway just as he saw the end
coming up. He was probably still a little below V1 and his training kicked
in causing him to abort and go off the end of the runway (I'm sure his
accelerate/stop distance was more than the runway length). If he had kept
going on the takeoff he probably would have been able to rotate and get off
the ground in the 3,500 feet he had. Bad day for all.

Bruce
www.glasair.org

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/30/06 1:19:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
brian-av(at)lloyd.com writes:

Quote:
You make a good point about understanding the systems. You understand
why there is a start-up order for the hydraulic systems in the B767.
Systems understanding is very important.
==========================

Very Good Point, Brian.

The o'l quote goes: "You can teach a monkey to fly but, you can't teach a
monkey to make decisions and learn systems."

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/30/06 2:25:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bruce(at)glasair.org writes:

Quote:
He was probably still a little below V1
But did he reach or pass Vrto?

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
europa flugzeug fabrik

Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: North Coast, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn on ALT before engine start? (Yes Airmanship) Reply with quote

FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com wrote:
I mention everyone else because there may be times when you may want to or need to have someone else fly your plane.

I see no problem there. Anyone that stupid won't be flying my airplane!

Fred F.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours