part #'s for CHT probes?

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

I saw this question a few times in the archives but never stumbled upon
an answer...

Anyone have a part number for CHT probes that have been successfully
installed underneath the spark plugs of a Rotax 914?

What other methods have you all used to measure all 4 CHTs on a 914?
(... or CHTs for 1 and 4 if using the VDO probes on 2 and 3)

Thanks!

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

D Wysong

I worried about that too. I did not find good references as to what I should see if I did install spark plug sensors.

The real question you need answered is "what is the H2O temperature" This is the "hotspot" in the Rotax 912S. (you don't wnat it boiling over) I installed a probe in the "coolant pot" using a alum nipple I had welded to the pot. Now I read the hot water temp on CHT . ( just like oil temp)

My thoughts.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

Aircraft Spruce has one at
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/electronicsinternational_probes.html
There is also one provided with the VDO CHT Gauge (the one I use).

Jeff - N55XS
133 hours

D Wysong wrote:
Quote:

I saw this question a few times in the archives but never stumbled upon
an answer...

Anyone have a part number for CHT probes that have been successfully
installed underneath the spark plugs of a Rotax 914?

What other methods have you all used to measure all 4 CHTs on a 914?
(... or CHTs for 1 and 4 if using the VDO probes on 2 and 3)

Thanks!

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

Good points, Cliff. Thanks for the idea!

-----
Cliff Shaw wrote:
[quote]

D Wysong

I worried about that too. I did not find good references as to what I should see if I did install spark plug sensors.

The real question you need answered is "what is the H2O temperature" This is the "hotspot" in the Rotax 912S. (you don't wnat it boiling over) I installed a probe in the "coolant pot" using a alum nipple I had welded to the pot. Now I read the hot water temp on CHT . ( just like oil temp)

My thoughts.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

Cliff and anyone else who can help,

I installed a VDO water temp probe in the large hose, exiting the
coolant pot. Temps are reported at 190 to 220 degrees, which I consider
very good for the 912S, however, My CHT, as reported by the spark plug
probe, reads around 275, most of the time. I realize that the temp at
the base of the plug is probably the hottest spot on the engine, but is
this something I should be concerned about?

Has anyone used the Rotax supplied probe (the one in the head)
successfully with a VDO gauge? If so, will it hook directly to the VDO
gauge, or does it require some sort of adapter? What, if any,
difference should I expect in reported temps? Any help is greatly
appreciated...

Jeff - N55XS
133 hours

Cliff Shaw wrote:

Quote:

D Wysong

I worried about that too. I did not find good references as to what I should see if I did install spark plug sensors.

The real question you need answered is "what is the H2O temperature" This is the "hotspot" in the Rotax 912S. (you don't wnat it boiling over) I installed a probe in the "coolant pot" using a alum nipple I had welded to the pot. Now I read the hot water temp on CHT . ( just like oil temp)

My thoughts.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. You able to install a EI P-102 successfully? Got pictures
and any installation tips?

Now I'm wondering now if the plug ports on the 912S and 914 differ??
Looks like those EI probes would be a bit too big (25 mm OD) to fit
inside the plug recess on the 914 (18 mm OD). We tried to install
Westach probes in our 914 but found that the plug + CHT sensor + socket
wrench simply won't exist in the same place at the same time... Grrrr.

Regarding your higher probe temp, the fellow at MGL Avionics (Rainier)
said that the under-the-plug probes will sometimes read hotter because
hot "gas" can make its way past the plug threads and come in contact
with the probe. Not sure what that means in terms of temp deltas, but
at least it's an explanation that folks can argue about. Wink

Regarding the Rotax VDO, we're reading it with an analog input channel
that is pulled up to +5V. The sensor is grounded through the case. If
your VDO gauge puts out +5V excitation and has a common ground with the
engine then it oughta work. ???

Rotax 914 on a test stand in need of CHTs... and an airplane! Smile

---------------------

D Wysong wrote:

>I saw this question a few times in the archives but never stumbled upon
>an answer...
>
>Anyone have a part number for CHT probes that have been successfully
>installed underneath the spark plugs of a Rotax 914?
>
>What other methods have you all used to measure all 4 CHTs on a 914?
>(... or CHTs for 1 and 4 if using the VDO probes on 2 and 3)
>
>Thanks!

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone used the Rotax supplied probe (the one in
the head) successfully with a VDO gauge? If so, will
it hook directly to the VDO gauge, or does it require
some sort of adapter? What, if any, difference should
I expect in reported temps? Any help is greatly
appreciated...

Here on the eastern side of the pond the Rotax engine
comes with four VDO instruments (voltmeter, oil pressure,
oil temp and ch temp - the last two are the same).

The VDO instruments are designed for the Rotax senders (or
rather I suppose the senders are designed for the VDO
instruments).

ACS sell a much cheaper oil pressure sender. The
temperature senders in the Rotax there are three - the one
used for oil is the same as the one used for CHT - are
metric and there isn't much of a choice when replacing them.

If you want water temp (rather than cylinder head temp)
then use a imperial thread sender designed for VDO and
either tap it into the top water reservoir, or into a
T-piece on the pipe out of the reservoir.

Richard Holder
G-OWWW High Cross

tonyk(at)kaon.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

Quote:
ACS sell a much cheaper oil pressure sender. The
temperature senders in the Rotax there are three - the one
used for oil is the same as the one used for CHT - are
metric and there isn't much of a choice when replacing them.

Westach sell cht and oil temperature senders with metric threads which are a direct replacement for the VDO senders supplied with the Rotax engines. I've replaced my VDO senders with these as well as fitting 4 x Westach egt senders to my914 to support the (now defunct) Audio Flight Avionics AFA10 engine management system. For water temperature I used a Skydrive supplied fitting which sits in one of the hoses leading from the swirl pot and has another Westac CHT sender screwed into it.

Regards

Tony

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: part #'s for CHT probes? Reply with quote

Richard,

Thanks for the information. I am currently using both CHT and water
temp. The WT probe, as you recommend, is tapped into the reservoir
outlet hose, via 1" "T". It reads from 190 degrees to 220 degrees,
depending on the circumstances. The CHT, using the under the plug
sender, supplied with my VDO gauge, reads around 275, under most
circumstances. My concern is the large differential in the two readings
and whether I should be concerned about it. I have not tried using the
Rotax supplied probe. Maybe I'll try that and see if it makes a
difference...

Jeff - N55XS
133 hours

Quote: