Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Progressive Toggle Switch is Hard to Find

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Progressive Toggle Switch is Hard to Find Reply with quote

Listers,
I'm considering using a Carling S700-2-10 2-pole progressive transfer toggle switch but cannot find it at any of my usual suppliers. Is this switch going obsolete?
I see it on B&Cs website but I'm hesitant to use it in a new design if they are so difficult to find.
Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places. Any thoughts?

TIA,
-Jeff

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Progressive Toggle Switch is Hard to Find Reply with quote

I got a couple from Stein I believe, but never was able to find them at the non-aviation sources. I attributed this less to the switch being obsolete, and more to me just not being able to get the right part number to google for. 

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 12:46 PM Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Listers,
I'm considering using a Carling S700-2-10 2-pole progressive transfer toggle switch but cannot find it at any of my usual suppliers.  Is this switch going obsolete?
I see it on B&Cs website but I'm hesitant to use it in a new design if they are so difficult to find.
Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places.  Any thoughts?

TIA,
-Jeff

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

prestonkavanagh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Progressive Toggle Switch is Hard to Find Reply with quote

I like to buy Carling switches at Grainger's - they have multiple stores in Tampa, saving the shipping charges. For the rocker switch you name: https://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=Carling%20S700-2-10

FOr a general purpose switch finder, the best is at Digikey, but the one at Grainger's is not bad. See https://www.grainger.com/category/electrical/industrial-controls-automation-and-machine-safety/manual-and-foot-switches/toggle-switches

The progressive that's hard to find is off-on1-on1&2. It's out there, just hard to find.

YMMV

Eric Page

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive Toggle Switch is Hard to Find Reply with quote

Jeff, what do you want to control with the S700-2-10, and how do you want it to work?

The S700 switches are Carling G-Series parts. The Carling catalog does not list ON-ON-ON or ON-ON-(ON) with progressive function as standard configurations. Furthermore, the -2-10 and -2-50 cannot be configured through Carling's online configuration tool, as the only available progressive option includes an OFF position (like the -2-11 and -2-51).

The ON-ON-ON function is only available as a 2-circuit (DPDT) non-progressive switch. Given the lack of detail on B&C's website, the -2-10 may actually be a Carling 2GH51-73 and not progressive. It's anyone's guess what the -2-50 actually is, as there's no option for an ON-ON-(ON) configuration of any kind.

I believe the -2-10 may be (if it's progressive) -- and -2-50 almost certainly is -- a special-order custom configuration that B&C requested from Carling. If that's the case and you need the ON-ON-ON function of the -2-10, then B&C is your only option, but I would ask them for confirmation of progressive function before you order.

I put together a cross-reference of the B&C / Carling switches some time ago for my own use, which I'll attach here. Use it at your own risk; I recommend confirming part numbers with the Carling configuration tool before ordering from sources other than B&C.

B&C S700 Switch Cross-Reference.pdf
 Description:
B&C S700 to Carling G-Series Switch Cross-Reference Spreadsheet

Download
 Filename:  B&C S700 Switch Cross-Reference.pdf
 Filesize:  19.34 KB
 Downloaded:  38 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: