Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Europa-List Digest: Jacking up wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary.Leinberger(at)miller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Europa-List Digest: Jacking up wheels Reply with quote

I have a different approach - I use a snowmobile/motorcycle jack (without the support bars) to lift the wing. Before I do so, I block the other two wheels on both front and rear, so the plane doesn't pivot and I make sure the other wing is clear underneath as it pivots down a good bit. I made a special box (one for each side as the curvature is reversed from side to side) for the top of the jack that fits the wing curvature and is padded to protect the skin. You also need additional height to be able to lift the jack enough to lift the wheel off the grown. The box centered on the spar.

This has the following advantages: it is safer as the plane can move if lifted by the jack only, which allows the landing gear to move inward and possibly fall, you can jack up the wheel to check the tire pressure without rolling the plane to get the fill value at the bottom of the wheel, it is easier to check that the roller bearing races aren't rotating on the axle, and when working on the brakes you have more head room (oh, my aching back). In addition, you don't have to remove the cotter pin to jack the wheel up - always a pain to get out and put in.

The jack was about $250 at Harbor Freight, and it has a locking mechanism to ensure it won't fail if hydraulic pressure is lost.

If there is any interest, I can post pictures.

Gary Leinberger
Lancaster, Pa.
A237

--

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: