Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Europa tri-gear wheel change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Europa tri-gear wheel change Reply with quote

How do you jack up a tri-gear to make a main wheel tyre repair or replacement? What kind of adapter / bracket do you take with you when flying away from home base, to facilitate the use of a trolley jack?

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Davidcripps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:58 am    Post subject: Europa tri-gear wheel change Reply with quote

To remove the wheel I insert a snug fitting solid steel bar into the open end of the axle and jack on that. If you put the jack far enough along the bar away from the wheel, once you’ve got the wheel loose you can then slide the wheel onto the steel bar. You can then support the steel bar or axle stub from the ‘inside’ side of the wheel and hence slide the wheel right off. You do need to be a bit careful not to distort the axle tube, but if the bar fits snugly enough then I’ve not had a problem with this.

I don’t usually carry the bar with me on trips as it’s quite heavy. Would have to look for something similar locally if I had a wheel issue away from base! Maybe a shorter version of the bar might work but you’d then have to rely on temporarily making a support on the bottom end of the leg to get the wheel off.

You can in theory also jack on this end of the gear leg (ie on the inside of the wheel) but it’s an awkward shape too fit a jack to and I feel that jacking there is not very stable.

Hope that helps. Feel free to give me a call if you want more explanation! Message me directly and I’ll send you a number.

Best regards

David
GBWJH

Quote:
On 28 Oct 2023, at 09:47, JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

How do you jack up a tri-gear to make a main wheel tyre repair or replacement? What kind of adapter / bracket do you take with you when flying away from home base, to facilitate the use of a trolley jack?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=511664#511664

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:07 am    Post subject: Europa tri-gear wheel change Reply with quote

I use a giant wire cable u clamp round the gear leg with the nuts facing down.  Finger tight is good enough.   These go into any short plank.   This can be used as a platform for a car jack.

Remember to chock all other wheels!!!

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023, 11:00 Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com (dpc(at)knightonweb.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com (dpc(at)knightonweb.com)>

To remove the wheel I insert a snug fitting solid steel bar into the open end of the axle and jack on that. If you put the jack far enough along the bar away from the wheel, once you’ve got the wheel loose you can then slide the wheel onto the steel bar. You can then support the steel bar or axle stub from the ‘inside’ side of the wheel and hence slide the wheel right off. You do need to be a bit careful not to distort the axle tube, but if the bar fits snugly enough then I’ve not had a problem with this.

I don’t usually carry the bar with me on trips as it’s quite heavy. Would have to look for something similar locally if I had a wheel issue away from base! Maybe a shorter version of the bar might work but you’d then have to rely on temporarily making a support on the bottom end of the leg to get the wheel off.

You can in theory also jack on this end of the gear leg (ie on the inside of the wheel) but it’s an awkward shape too fit a jack to and I feel that jacking there is not very stable.

Hope that helps. Feel free to give me a call if you want more explanation! Message me directly and I’ll send you a number.

Best regards

David
GBWJH

> On 28 Oct 2023, at 09:47, JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk (jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk)> wrote:
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "JonathanMilbank" <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk (jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk)>
>
> How do you jack up a tri-gear to make a main wheel tyre repair or replacement? What kind of adapter / bracket do you take with you when flying away from home base, to facilitate the use of a trolley jack?
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=511664#511664
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Europa tri-gear wheel change Reply with quote

Tire Changes aren't complex and wonderful on the Trigear Europa.

Attached is my paper on it from my website (yea I gotta work some more on that too). 

On cross country if you land at an airport with people, it is very nice to see if someone has a tire change kit in their car or pickup truck as that is all you need.
Even a breaker bar to insert into the axle is simple do.  A small car or truck scissors jack is always around.  So, I don't carry a thing for a tire change on a trigear.  The nut on the axle is standard aircraft also, so any Aircraft Mechanic has the socket or even offset pliers will do in a pinch.  For those going into small farm strips or remote areas, a hollow steel pipe of sufficient length and a "Ford Wrench" or plumbers spanner, or offset pliers that open to 1.25 inches and such in your tool kit works without too carrying much weight.  Small scissors jacks are in most auto tire change kit, and the tire lug wrench in most larger cars or trucks have a very sturdy tool that can easily jack a Europa.  I think the pipe I use is a galvanized 3/4 inch water or gas pipe from the hardware store that is about 12 - 15 inches long and is more than adequate to jack a fully loaded Europa.  The pipe must be just long enough to go on the jack and insert a couple inches into the axle plus the width of the wheel.  I use the same pipe on my annual inspection to jack, pull the wheel, and simply lower the bare axle on to a couple of padded 4x4s to set the axle on to  while I repack the bearings.

Attached is my paper. 

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations

In case you've never seen one, this is a short handle plumbers spanner.  They are usually aluminum and quite light:
<![endif]--><![if !vml]>[img]cid:image001.png(at)01DA098B.C92B1940[/img]<![endif]><![endif]-->

--

image001.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.25 KB
 Viewed:  1834 Time(s)

image001.png

Tire_change_of_a_Europa.docx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Tire_change_of_a_Europa.docx
 Filesize:  1004.46 KB
 Downloaded:  51 Time(s)

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Europa tri-gear wheel change Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. This confirms what I have been doing i.e. inserting a snug fitting round bar into the axle with enough length to jack the wheel off the ground and also to slide the wheel along the bar.

I was only asking in case someone has a different method. The method using a U-clamp is making me think too.

DuaneFamly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Europa tri-gear wheel change Reply with quote

Very nice!
[url=Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS]Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS[/url]

On Saturday, October 28, 2023, 7:45 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com> wrote:[quote]
Tire Changes aren't complex and wonderful on the Trigear Europa.

Attached is my paper on it from my website (yea I gotta work some more on that too).

On cross country if you land at an airport with people, it is very nice to see if someone has a tire change kit in their car or pickup truck as that is all you need.
Even a breaker bar to insert into the axle is simple do. A small car or truck scissors jack is always around. So, I don't carry a thing for a tire change on a trigear. The nut on the axle is standard aircraft also, so any Aircraft Mechanic has the socket or even offset pliers will do in a pinch. For those going into small farm strips or remote areas, a hollow steel pipe of sufficient length and a "Ford Wrench" or plumbers spanner, or offset pliers that open to 1.25 inches and such in your tool kit works without too carrying much weight. Small scissors jacks are in most auto tire change kit, and the tire lug wrench in most larger cars or trucks have a very sturdy tool that can easily jack a Europa. I think the pipe I use is a galvanized 3/4 inch water or gas pipe from the hardware store that is about 12 - 15 inches long and is more than adequate to jack a fully loaded Europa. The pipe must be just long enough to go on the jack and insert a couple inches into the axle plus the width of the wheel.  I use the same pipe on my annual inspection to jack, pull the wheel, and simply lower the bare axle on to a couple of padded 4x4s to set the axle on to while I repack the bearings.

Attached is my paper.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations

In case you've never seen one, this is a short handle plumbers spanner. They are usually aluminum and quite light:
[img]cid:cGJNeN9h4bntclXd1Ql4[/img]

--

image001.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.25 KB
 Viewed:  1820 Time(s)

image001.png

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Europa tri-gear wheel change Reply with quote

Just a word of caution to anyone new to the Europa tri-gear and changing a wheel or repairing a tire for the first time. When jacking up on the piece of metal rod or breaker bar which you've inserted into the hollow axle, place the scissor/trolley jack a couple of inches inboard from the end. I have seen the jack slip slightly toward the outboard end of the metal rod while being raised.

While the wheel is being jacked up, it is likely that once the tire is off the ground, the bar will not be horizontal and therefore won't be at a right angle to the jack. The higher that the jack is raised, the greater the potential for it to slip sideways and drop the aircraft.

Therefore I have a block of concrete or wood ready to slip under the undercarriage leg where the brake caliper attaches, as soon as I've loosened the brake disc and wheel and moved them out of the way. Only after the flange for attaching the caliper is resting on the block, do I breathe easier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: