Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unscientific test 914 Air box temp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Unscientific test 914 Air box temp Reply with quote

I have been wondering about my airbox temp for some time and the possibility of detonation.  My mechanic in Colombia said not to worry about it so I tried to live in denial ...without avail.  Pilot paranoia wormed its way in.  
But I quailed at the thought of taking my instrument panel apart and wiring a probe into my dynon.
So i bought a chinese rpm and CHT instrument from amazon and clamped the CHT ring to the aluminium up tube from turbo to airbox.
The interwebs tells me that the max Airbox Temp is 88C
T/O power 37" took the temps to 65C
Cruise 29"-33" (at)3500' up to 5000' was steady at 56/57C.
Intuitively this is consistent with the fact that I have numerous standard zip ties holding electric and control cables to the airbox and none of them have melted.

William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Area-51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unscientific test 914 Air box temp Reply with quote

It's better than nothing and may be a little inaccurate due to factors such as external ambient air flow within the engine area passing over the compressor pipe itself; so the reading may be under actuals.

The best sensor is one that is immersed within the compressor free stream. A 'K' thermistor would suffice (which will be what you have attached already). Thermocouples are more accurate and more expensive and are used on Rotax.

The 914 HMM provides thermocouple sensor impedance reference graph for the plenum temperature sensor; you could possibly splice into this circuit for a piggyback reading, and you would need to ensure there is no risk of damaging the TCU by doing so. A comparable screw in thermocouple sensor itself costs about $8-$25 on ebay.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

95917B1D-0ED1-469C-97D0-EDF10A89BB29.jpeg
 Description:
Thermocouple
 Filesize:  44.98 KB
 Viewed:  1597 Time(s)

95917B1D-0ED1-469C-97D0-EDF10A89BB29.jpeg

14CB1457-4C87-4581-BCCF-1B56F5302DA2.jpeg
 Description:
Thermistor
 Filesize:  41.29 KB
 Viewed:  1597 Time(s)

14CB1457-4C87-4581-BCCF-1B56F5302DA2.jpeg

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Unscientific test 914 Air box temp Reply with quote

Will,

I found that the airbox temperature was as high as 170 F in cruise, which exceeded the intervention temperature (160 F) for my early motor without an intercooler. So, I reinstalled the intercooler which knocked the airbox temp down to 132 F max. I use a standard K type thermocouple on the airbox installed in the supplied port side boss.

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: