Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throttle Level Housing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danbish99

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm in need of a throttle level housing as shown in figure 1 on page 2-1 of the 914 Europa installation manual. If you have a spare for sale or would be willing to ship me one I can make a copy of, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
n7188u

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

Dan,

My XS was missing this part as well. But there was a wood plug made by the previous kit owner and I made my part from that (we can make anything with fiberglass, right?). I believe that the wood plug was made using dimensions from the older Europa Classic engine install manual. If you an find a copy of the old manual I think you will find the dimensions there.

I will look for the plug I had. Not sure if I still have it but if I do you can have it. Where are you located?

Chris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n7188u

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

Dan,

I just checked in the Europa Club and the instructions to make that part are here:

https://www.theeuropaclub.org/document/20

Fairly simple to make.

Chris

danbish99

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

Thanks Chris,

I heard from Gary Roberts here in Tucson and he had one that he generously gave to me.

Ron Parigoris had also suggested the Europa site. I hadn't known about the difference in the manuals-the XS manual mentions it but doesn't include the instructions on how to make it.

Thanks for helping track down a solution,

Dan

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

Dan,
Along with the basic fabrication of the throttle, the build information in the manual is scant on the actual geometry you should strive for in the throttle box as far as the cable end mounting, clearances, the hardware, stops, etc. Running the cables had many frustrated builders spending hours modifying cables. I chose to keep things stock and learn from others how to properly run the carb and later the choke cables. I'm attaching my pdf info on the throttle and choke mods and techniques I have used. Keeping the cables from kinking is explained in the Etiquette file.

The T handle on the choke, the adjustable idle stop and 914 100% detent on the throttle are favorites of those who fly my plane. For cross country flying the cockpit accessible (lever in my case) throttle friction is quite handy.
Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

Choke_T_handle.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Choke_T_handle.pdf
 Filesize:  332.1 KB
 Downloaded:  63 Time(s)

Throttle_and_Choke_Cable_Etiquette.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Throttle_and_Choke_Cable_Etiquette.pdf
 Filesize:  1.31 MB
 Downloaded:  60 Time(s)

Throttle_Friction_and_Stop_Modifications_Updated.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Throttle_Friction_and_Stop_Modifications_Updated.pdf
 Filesize:  756.91 KB
 Downloaded:  65 Time(s)

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

The issue with the choke is that you have to hold it out an annoyingly small knob while manipulating throttle, brake and pressing starter.   And in florida with sweaty fingers.

Bud of course has the perfect solution.
A heath Robinson solution is a half inch "bulldog" clip (spring paper clip thingy) round the base of the choke handle shaft.   This will hold the choke open and once the engine starts you simply push the choke in.
On Sat, May 13, 2023, 15:19 Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

[quote]Dan,
Along with the basic fabrication of the throttle, the build information in the manual is scant on the actual geometry you should strive for in the throttle box as far as the cable end mounting, clearances, the hardware, stops, etc.  Running the cables had many frustrated builders spending hours modifying cables.  I chose to keep things stock and learn from others how to properly run the carb and later the choke cables.  I'm attaching my pdf info on the throttle and choke mods and techniques I have used.  Keeping the cables from kinking is explained in the Etiquette file.

The T handle on the choke, the adjustable idle stop and 914 100% detent on the throttle are favorites of those who fly my plane.  For cross country flying the cockpit accessible (lever in my case) throttle friction is quite handy.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

Will,
I never have the choke out more than a second after start. Maybe it is the AVGas and I don’t fly on really cold days (well for Florida).

If it is really cold even when test flying up north I never had the choke out very long. But that little knob is pretty pathetic. Pulled it right off and flew the plane with a Vise-Grip on the choke.

Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of William Daniell
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2023 11:31 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Throttle Level Housing

The issue with the choke is that you have to hold it out an annoyingly small knob while manipulating throttle, brake and pressing starter. And in florida with sweaty fingers.

A heath Robinson solution is a half inch "bulldog" clip (spring paper clip thingy) round the base of the choke handle shaft.  This will hold the choke open and once the engine starts you simply push the choke in.

On Sat, May 13, 2023, 15:19 Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Dan,
Along with the basic fabrication of the throttle, the build information in the manual is scant on the actual geometry you should strive for in the throttle box as far as the cable end mounting, clearances, the hardware, stops, etc. Running the cables had many frustrated builders spending hours modifying cables. I chose to keep things stock and learn from others how to properly run the carb and later the choke cables. I'm attaching my pdf info on the throttle and choke mods and techniques I have used. Keeping the cables from kinking is explained in the Etiquette file.

The T handle on the choke, the adjustable idle stop and 914 100% detent on the throttle are favorites of those who fly my plane. For cross country flying the cockpit accessible (lever in my case) throttle friction is quite handy.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Throttle Level Housing Reply with quote

Agreed
And agreed ...v pathetic

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Sat, May 13, 2023, 19:53 Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

[quote]
Will,
I never have the choke out more than a second after start.  Maybe it is the AVGas and I don’t fly on really cold days (well for Florida).

If it is really cold even when test flying up north I never had the choke out very long.  But that little knob is pretty pathetic.  Pulled it right off and flew the plane with a Vise-Grip on the choke.

Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of William Daniell
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2023 11:31 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Re: Throttle Level Housing

The issue with the choke is that you have to hold it out an annoyingly small knob while manipulating throttle, brake and pressing starter.   And in florida with sweaty fingers.

A heath Robinson solution is a half inch "bulldog" clip (spring paper clip thingy) round the base of the choke handle shaft.   This will hold the choke open and once the engine starts you simply push the choke in.

[quote]
Dan,
Along with the basic fabrication of the throttle, the build information in the manual is scant on the actual geometry you should strive for in the throttle box as far as the cable end mounting, clearances, the hardware, stops, etc.  Running the cables had many frustrated builders spending hours modifying cables.  I chose to keep things stock and learn from others how to properly run the carb and later the choke cables.  I'm attaching my pdf info on the throttle and choke mods and techniques I have used.  Keeping the cables from kinking is explained in the Etiquette file.

The T handle on the choke, the adjustable idle stop and 914 100% detent on the throttle are favorites of those who fly my plane.  For cross country flying the cockpit accessible (lever in my case) throttle friction is quite handy.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: