Thin Stainless Steel

paul.the.aviator(at)gmail
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Hi All,

Could someone tell me where in the US I can purchase some thin stainless steel that is a similar gauge to what is used on the firewall.

Thanks, Paul

gholland(at)content-strea
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Paul Hi!
Try: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/firewallmetals.html
I got some through a ACS Agent here in UK. Looks OK.
Best wishes
Gerry

paul.the.aviator(at)gmail
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the link, but I am looking for 304 "soft if possible.

Paul
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Gerry Holland <gholland(at)content-stream.co.uk (gholland(at)content-stream.co.uk)> wrote:
[quote]
Paul Hi!
Try: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/firewallmetals.html
I got some through a ACS Agent here in UK. Looks OK.
Best wishes
Gerry
[b]

Fred Klein

Joined: 26 Mar 2012

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

On Jul 7, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Paul McAllister wrote:

Quote:
Could someone tell me where in the US I can purchase some thin
stainless steel that is a similar gauge to what is used on the
firewall.

Paul,

try http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=232&step=2&top_cat=1

I've found them to be my go to source for various metals/
plastics...excellent service,

fred

jimpuglise(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Paul-

I have used these guys. Would be worth a phone call.

Jim

Alro Metals Plus
  • (941) 952-1918
  • [url=http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AomMQ82ikTRmVBBGoJytQi6CVdx_;_ylv=0/SIG=118hidsca/EXP=1342900233/**http%3A//www.alro.com/]alro.com[/url]
1695 12th St, Sarasota, FL 34236
Thanks for the link, but I am looking for 304 "soft if possible.

Paul
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Gerry Holland <gholland(at)content-stream.co.uk (gholland(at)content-stream.co.uk)> wrote:
[quote]
Paul Hi!
Try: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/firewallmetals.html
I got some through a ACS Agent here in UK. Looks OK.
Best wishes
Gerry

[b]

rlborger(at)mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Paul,

You've probably checked McMaster, but they have a considerable selection of "Formable" 304 SS sheets in Brinell 150+.
Other potential sources are SnappyMetals.com, metalbytheinch.com, precisionsteel.com, ssina.com, aksteel.com, quickshipmetals.com
Hope one of these helps.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On Jul 7, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Paul McAllister wrote:
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the link, but I am looking for 304 "soft if possible.

Paul
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Gerry Holland <gholland(at)content-stream.co.uk (gholland(at)content-stream.co.uk)> wrote:
Quote:

Paul Hi!
Try: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/firewallmetals.html
I got some through a ACS Agent here in UK. Looks OK.
Best wishes
Gerry

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Paul,
For all the Europa needs here in the US, Aircraft Spruce carries what is necessary.
Firewall:
For the Trigear or mono I use the .016 thickness stainless steel and a Whitney punch to make the holes. At .016 it can be drilled but is hard on the bits.
For the firewall in Trigear which goes behind the gear frame, I do not use hard stainless sheet, I use the firewall 2000 kit. This is a sandwich material of real stainless foil, firberfax (insulation and fireproof material to replace asbestos) and on the other side a thin aluminum foil. The gray sealant and adhesive works great.

Do not use aluminum foil insulation material sold in home improvement stores as from experience it bursts into flame on direct contact with fire. It burns really well after the flame is removed.

Plate Damage to a wing or fuselage hardpoint; 1/8 inch 6061 T-6 is fine. It's a bit harder to drill than 2024. But it doesn't corrode.

Wing Brackets; if I have to custom make a set I use again the 1/8 inch 6061T-6.

Regards,
Bud

[quote] ---

mr bill

Joined: 05 Mar 2012

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Speedy Metals in New Berlin Wi, they have 24 gauge (.024 thick). contact at ph 1-262-784-4140 or speedymetals.com. Bill at 02C.

paul.the.aviator(at)gmail
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

Can you tell me where I can purchase the SS/Fiberfax material ?

Thanks, Paul

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
[quote] Paul,
[...]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Paul,

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/firewall2000.php

On Jul 9, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Paul McAllister wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks the link.  I had assumed that firewall 2000 referred to Europa's new firewall kit... duh !

do not archive

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:
[quote]Paul,

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/firewall2000.php

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: [url=tel:817-992-1117]817-992-1117[/url]
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
[b]

budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Paul,
Aircraft Spruce carries it.
PER FT FIREWALL 2000 24" WIDTH 05-00948
They also have the kit with the gray fireproof adhesive. Great stuff, easy to install but pricey. I cut a cardboard template then make my piece 1/2 inch larger. Cut the aluminum and fiber back the 1/2 inch from the edge and fold over the SS to make a nice clean rolled edge. Then install. Once finished curing, I cut .016 stainless to cover the ends and cover both the face and around the corner... Neat, sealed and trouble free.

Bud

[quote] ---

h&jeuropa

Joined: 07 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thin Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Boy I like the search function here on Matronics!

We are making a new firewall and had difficulty finding stainless steel that we could work with simple tools, snips, bend over sharp corner of table etc. Using results from this thread of several years ago, we purchased annealed 304 stainless but were unable to fabricate it.

Google eventually lead us to 430 stainless and McMaster Carr has it available in several gauges and annealed. It is stiff and a little hard to drill but we completed our firewall using it and simple hand tools. We're very happy with the results! The part number is 1294T32. That happens to be .018 thick and the original from Europa measures .015. There is .012 available but we chose thicker rather than thinner.

Jim & Heather