Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

primer bulb and pulse line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaydub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: primer bulb and pulse line Reply with quote

In addition to the fuel line question I just posed, what primer bulb has held up well? The one I had in my CGS Hawk years ago got a crack and the fuel line was sucking in air so the engine quit in flight. I was able to squeeze the bulb to get fuel to the engine to restart and I kept squeezing until I got back to the airstrip with fuel running down my arm. Is there a quality one recommended?

Also, what pulse line size/material is recommended these days for the single carb mikuni pulse pump?

Thanks again,
Jay

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ridefst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: primer bulb and pulse line Reply with quote

I've heard various stories about those primer bulbs deteriorating internally, and sometimes blocking fuel flow completely. I'd avoid them.
If you have an electrical system an electric pulse pump like Steve mentioned is great, or else a push/pull hand primer pump.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: primer bulb and pulse line Reply with quote

My kit came with the bulb and some tee-'s.

The bulb goes in the main fuel line and you put a tee in before and one
after the bulb. Then run a short piece of hose between the tee's.

In this configuration you have to pinch the bypass line when using the
primer.

The idea was that if the check valve failed and blocked flow through the
bulb the engine could still pull through fuel through the loop.

I was told that there was at least one occurrence of an engine out
caused by an internal failure of the bulb. Maybe more.

There wasn't any discussion of the bulb failing on the outside, but
considering they look like off the shelf primers for boats it wouldn't
surprise me.

The push/pull primers would certainly work but would require using tee's
and pinching the main line while priming as they shut off the flow when
closed and locked. I don't think you could rely on passing fuel through
them for regular flight.

Here is a picture of how it is set up. The original hose was just plain
clear plastic but it was getting hard after a few months so I went to
the snowmobile shop and got some urethane hose which is not clear but
you can still see the fuel inside. It will last a year of two before
needing replacement.

Another option is just plain automotive black rubber fuel hose. Lasts a
lot longer but you can't see the fuel through it.

Stuart

On 4/5/23 18:23, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:

In addition to the fuel line question I just posed, what primer bulb has held up well? The one I had in my CGS Hawk years ago got a crack and the fuel line was sucking in air so the engine quit in flight. I was able to squeeze the bulb to get fuel to the engine to restart and I kept squeezing until I got back to the airstrip with fuel running down my arm. Is there a quality one recommended?

Also, what pulse line size/material is recommended these days for the single carb mikuni pulse pump?

Thanks again,
Jay

Primer.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.65 KB
 Viewed:  2659 Time(s)

Primer.JPG

jaydub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: primer bulb and pulse line Reply with quote

Hi Again all,
I appreciate the replies. The reason I want the bulb is in case the pulse pump goes kaput in flight. Having it reachable in my CGS Hawk could have been a lifesaver as I was over a large mature woods (couldn't have landed anywhere but in >100' tall trees) but since I could pump it by hand I was able to do a restart and safely fly back to our airstrip. I'm building my plane very light and I won't have electric so an electric pump is not an option. Yes, I learned the hard way about the bulb cracking then I learned later that the fuel lines and bulb should be replaced annually. While I can be frugal, fuel lines, filter, and bulb are cheap insurance. I hadn't heard of primer bulbs getting blocked so Stuart's solution with a bypass makes sense. The bulb that came with my CGS Hawk kit in 91 wasn't a good quality bulb hence my asking if anyone knows of a good quality one. The bulb that came with the Kolb kit I purchased is for a blood pressure cuff and I don't see how I could even make that work (only has an outlet and no inlet barb) plus it's extremely low quality. That may have come from the previous owner, not Kolb. For engine starting I'm not a fan of the push-pull primers and I will be using the Bing enriching circuit instead but to each their own on that.

I did look through my kit materials last night after sending the email and I found I do have a bunch of "Superthane Ester 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD" tubing that must have come from Kolb. I'll probably use that to begin with as it's never had fuel in it, it's quite supple, and it's not been outside to get UV. Since it's so supple I think I should use a stiffer tubing for the pulse line.

Jay

Ceengland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: primer bulb and pulse line Reply with quote

On 4/6/2023 10:22 AM, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:

Hi Again all,
I appreciate the replies. The reason I want the bulb is in case the pulse pump goes kaput in flight. Having it reachable in my CGS Hawk could have been a lifesaver as I was over a large mature woods (couldn't have landed anywhere but in >100' tall trees) but since I could pump it by hand I was able to do a restart and safely fly back to our airstrip. I'm building my plane very light and I won't have electric so an electric pump is not an option. Yes, I learned the hard way about the bulb cracking then I learned later that the fuel lines and bulb should be replaced annually. While I can be frugal, fuel lines, filter, and bulb are cheap insurance. I hadn't heard of primer bulbs getting blocked so Stuart's solution with a bypass makes sense. The bulb that came with my CGS Hawk kit in 91 wasn't a good quality bulb hence my asking if anyone knows of a good quality one. The bulb that came with the Kolb kit I purchased is for a blood pressure cuff and I don't see how I could even m!
ake that work (only has an outlet and no inlet barb) plus it's extremely low quality. That may have come from the previous owner, not Kolb. For engine starting I'm not a fan of the push-pull primers and I will be using the Bing enriching circuit instead but to each their own on that.

I did look through my kit materials last night after sending the email and I found I do have a bunch of "Superthane Ester 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD" tubing that must have come from Kolb. I'll probably use that to begin with as it's never had fuel in it, it's quite supple, and it's not been outside to get UV. Since it's so supple I think I should use a stiffer tubing for the pulse line.

Jay
I have very limited experience with Rotax 2strokes, but I did have a

little. I used the blue-green urethane tubing initially when I restored
an old Kolb Twinstar with a 503. I made a 'flop tube' with filtered,
weighted pickup to go in the tank, using the urethane tubing. Within a
year, the tubing rotted in two at the fitting inside the top of the
tank. I replaced the flop tube pickup with a bottom-feed on the tank (I
discovered that hoses that have fuel proof coverings are shockingly
expensive). I replaced all the blue line with quality black automotive
fuel line.

I bought a ~$10 squeeze bulb during restoration, and it, too, rotted
within a year. Coming from the bigger/heavier experimental world, that
unnerved me as unacceptable performance for such critical items. After
researching the cost of quality squeeze bulbs, I elected to install a
clone of the Facet cube pump, and a little 4AH AGM battery. I had a bulb
primer on an outboard back in the early 1990s that was probably 20 years
old and still worked fine, but when I priced the 'brand name' primers
from Evinrude, Johnson, etc, they were more expensive than the
conversion to electric primer.

One upside to electric is that you flip a switch and go back to flying,
instead of focusing on squeezing the bulb in flight.

FWIW,

Charlie
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: