Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's all this Lithium Specific Battery Charger stuff an

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: What's all this Lithium Specific Battery Charger stuff an Reply with quote

At 05:10 PM 3/14/2023, you wrote:
Quote:
All agreed Bob. Many years ago while on the phone with an EarthX tech trying to understand their prohibition against most smart chargers out there in frustration I asked him if it was safe to charge their batteries with my aircraft. Of course the answer was yes but a little further discussion convinced me that it's not the battery they are trying to protect, it's the BMS. Apparently their BMS can be damaged by the voltage pulses sent by "desulfating" chargers. That seems to be not a concern from your plot and the pictures which show that the "desulfating" mode is selectable, not automatic.

Yeah, about that . . .

I put together a document that I trust will shed some
light on the topic of battery desulfators/healers.

https://tinyurl.com/yc4npesr

I've watched/studied the desulfation narrative for
decades and to date, I cannot offer definitive
proof that any such devices are of value. Nonetheless,
the features pop up from time to time . . . this
particular charger is one example.

I've not yet had time the characterize the form
and magnitude of desulfating stimulus generated
by this charger but I will get it measured and
documented.

Quote:
I was specifically asking about this charger you have let us know about because the description states (lithium batteries are not charged) which makes me wonder if the "smart" part of the charger could end seeing some behaviour of the lithium battery that it mistakes for a lead acid battery problem, and shutting off.

Just dug out my EarthX lab-battery now 7+
years old. I'll stick this 'new kid' on the
EarthX and see what it does.

Quote:
Recently a client of mine replaced a $400+ EarthX because "it goes dead". They dropped the offending one off and it was 0V. I left it hooked up to my power supply overnight at 14.5V and then tested it. It came out at 96% of new capacity (after 5 years, not bad). After checking the engine monitor data and asking a few questions the best theory we can come up with is that this perfectly good battery was replaced because they discharged it to BMS shutoff a few times and their "smart" charger assumed a problem and wouldn't charge it. So now they've spent $200 on a charger and have a spare battery.

Good find! Yeah, I've had several LiFePO4+BMS
products in here one of which included a little
terminal on the case used to inject a 'reset'
signal in case the BMS gets tripped.

Bob . . .

////
  (o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and good practice.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: