Europa Club Membership location map trial

Hitchflight

Joined: 22 Feb 2018
Location: Derbyshire, England

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

Hello Bob,

I am certainly in favour of the member map.  I like to know where other
members live as it all adds to the flavour.

Cheers mate

Kingsley
On 16.02.23 6:41 pm, Hitchflight wrote:
Quote:

https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

ditto!
PeteZ

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 6:14 AM Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au (kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au (kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au)>

Hello Bob,

I am certainly in favour of the member map.  I like to know where other
members live as it all adds to the flavour.

Cheers mate

Kingsley

On 16.02.23 6:41 pm, Hitchflight wrote:
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "Hitchflight" <bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com (bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com)>
>
> https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial
>

> Read this topic online here:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

DuaneFamly

Location: Chandler, AZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Mike Duane
Rowland_Carson

Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Location: Cheltenham, England

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight <bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com (bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com)> wrote:
Quote:
https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.

Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT aircraft bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to have pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes, I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!

I’ve recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet templates, which I found really easy to use - see:

http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php

in friendship

Rowland
| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

Sadly here in Canada, all that is needed by those blackhats is to log into our government registry and do a quick search, by engine even LOL
PeteZ

Quote:
On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight <bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com (bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com)> wrote:
Quote:
https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.
Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT aircraft bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to have pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes, I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!
I’ve recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet templates, which I found really easy to use - see:
http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php
in friendship
Rowland

| Rowland Carson          ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)>            http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson      Facebook: Rowland Carson

trevord

Joined: 10 Jul 2018
Location: Auckland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

I am OK with this
Regards
Trevor
Sent from my Galaxy

On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight <bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com (bobhitchcock(at)icloud.com)> wrote:
Quote:
https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.

Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT aircraft bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to have pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes, I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!

I’ve recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet templates, which I found really easy to use - see:

http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php

in friendship

Rowland
| Rowland Carson          ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)>            http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson      Facebook: Rowland Carson

Trevor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
barp99(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

And ditto!
Brian Phillips.

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Hitchflight

Joined: 22 Feb 2018
Location: Derbyshire, England

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

Hi Rowland
The suggestion is to create a map with the approximate position of the Member’s home. This is achieved by using a truncated version of the Member’s postal code. This map to only be available to Members using the password privileges.

In the settings page both new and existing Member’s can define if they are happy to release personal detail in the Membership settings options:
https://www.theeuropaclub.org/members/

Currently 23% of the Europa Club Membership have positively selected that they do not want any personal information disclosed (including by default map information). The Club will respect the Members wishes. So the map would show 77% of locations if active today.

In respect of thefts from airfields the Europa Club is acutely aware of the sensitivity of the subject. The Europa Club has no intention to publish at this time.

Poignant, my home airfield was targeted Christmas 2020. The theft of engines, including mine, was traumatic! Installation of high tech, high cost security security equipment and processes followed.

Regards

Bob
On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight <bobhitchcock> wrote:
Quote:
https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.

Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT aircraft bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to have pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes, I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!

I’ve recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet templates, which I found really easy to use - see:

http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php

in friendship

Rowland
| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...| <rowlandcarson> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

BobD

Location: Sheffield UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight <bobhitchcock> wrote:
Quote:
https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.

Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT aircraft bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to have pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes, I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!

I’ve recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet templates, which I found really easy to use - see:

http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php

in friendship

Rowland
| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...| <rowlandcarson> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Hi Rowland,

The intention is to use the first part of an individuals post code for their location. This will identify the general location, but not the specific address of the individual. The individuals name and email address would be displayed, but not their address or phone number. In this way, an individual can be contacted, but it is then up to the individual to decide if they wish to engage.

Best Regards

Bob Dawson
Europa Club Treasurer

Bob Dawson
Europa XS TG || 912 ULS || G-NHRJ || Dynon Skyview || PilotAware || SmartAss3
Hitchflight

Joined: 22 Feb 2018
Location: Derbyshire, England

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

Hi Pete Z.
In May 2018 the privacy GDPR laws changed in the UK & EU. The laws are very different in Canada and the USA. This side of the pond there is the threat of fines or other sanctions for publishing a Member’s contact details without permission.

Consequently we are obliged to proceed cautiously and with consent. The Europa Committee will likely review and decide at the next Committee meeting.

Thanks for the feedback

Regards

Bob

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com wrote:
Sadly here in Canada, all that is needed by those blackhats is to log into our government registry and do a quick search, by engine even LOL
PeteZ

Quote:
On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight <bobhitchcock> wrote:
Quote:
https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial

Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.
Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT aircraft bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to have pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes, I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!
I’ve recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet templates, which I found really easy to use - see:
http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php
in friendship
Rowland

| Rowland Carson          ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson>            http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson      Facebook: Rowland Carson

Rowland_Carson

Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Location: Cheltenham, England

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

On 2023-02-17, at 08:47, BobD <rjdawson14(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
The intention is to use the first part of an individuals post code for their location. This will identify the general location, but not the specific address of the individual. The individuals name and email address would be displayed, but not their address or phone number. In this way, an individual can be contacted, but it is then up to the individual to decide if they wish to engage.

Bob - that all sounds excellent, thanks for the clarification. Count me in for a display flag.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

DuaneFamly

Location: Chandler, AZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Europa Club Membership location map trial Reply with quote

I like this idea in that it allows members to be aware of where other members may live in general. The email info would allow for contact in a general sense.
Remember, there is still the emergency contact list for those traveling that might be in need of some faster assistance.

Mike Duane N377EA
EUROPA XS Conventional Gear
Chandler, AZ

Sent from my iPhone